LTR - Zephyros 2 Tent - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
      Here is my LTR on this pretty cool tent. Thanks in advance for your time and edits.
      Mike Mosack

      http://tinyurl.com/6nptmyk

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Two trips, 2 and 3 days (and nights) to the Pacific Crest Trail section in Laguna Mountain region of Southern California, USA
      Conditions: Ungroomed foot trails and forest access dirt roads. Temperatures ranging from 55 to 90 F (13 to 32 C) and elevations have ranged from approximately 1000 to 4000 ft (300 to 1200 m).

      A three day trip to the Sierra Nevadas in California and Nevada, USA. The dry terrain consisted of grassy fields, to rocky mountainous areas. The weather there consisted of sunny and clear to partly cloudy skies and temperatures from 68 F (20 C) to 80 F (27 C). Elevations I have traveled during this test period have ranged from approximately 4000 ft (1200 m) to over 6500 ft (1980 m).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Setting up the tent continues to be relatively easy. All zippers and fasteners work well. The tent's seams have not frayed any further than they were when I received the tent from the manufacturer. The tent's color has not faded and shows no signs of wear other than a little on the floor as I did not use a footprint. There are very small punctures in the floor of the tent from sleeping in it while on the ground. Nothing surprising here and this is not a negative, but it reinforces my belief in using a footprint.

      I have experienced a little morning condensation inside the tent's single wall and ceiling, but not to where it began to actually drip. In both instances, it dried quickly when I opened up the tent to ventilate it. Unfortunately, this is the only moisture that my tent experienced as we have not had any rain during this test period.

      I have found that this tent, while advertised as a two person tent, is just too small to have a second person inside with me. I prefer to keep my backpack inside the tent with me whenever possible, but even without it, I just can not see how two people can be comfortable in this tent. My son and I both agreed that we would prefer to each be in our own tent rather than try to share this one, even in an emergency. Setting up the rain fly without the tent body has provided more room and was lighter to carry as well. I don't mind sleeping on the ground especially when I have a nice roof over me.

      SUMMARY

      Over all, I do really like this tent. Some of the highlights are as follows...
      Pros -
      The size of this tent as it is a perfect one person tent for me.
      It is green in color as it blends in with nature
      The large openings and ease of setting it up
      That I can set up the entire tent or just the rain fly and poles for a lighter weight and roomier option

      Cons -
      That two people are very uncomfortable in such a small tent
      That the seams are not seared to prevent potential fraying
      That the included tent stakes are so lightweight that they lack sufficient strength to be used without bending.

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.terra-nova.co.uk" LINK TEXT = "Wild Country">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for the opportunity to test this tent.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • ftroop94
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
        Mike,

        Here are your edits!

        ~SMK

        >>Elevations I have traveled during this test period have ranged from approximately 4000 ft (1200 m) to over 6500 ft (1980 m).

        EDIT: Elevations I traveled during...

        >>. I prefer to keep my backpack inside the tent with me whenever possible, but even without it, I just can not see how two people can be comfortable in this tent.

        EDIT: I just cannot see..

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mosack@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Pros -
        > The size of this tent as it is a perfect one person tent for me.
        > It is green in color as it blends in with nature
        > The large openings and ease of setting it up
        > That I can set up the entire tent or just the rain fly and poles for a lighter weight and roomier option
        >
        > Cons -
        > That two people are very uncomfortable in such a small tent
        > That the seams are not seared to prevent potential fraying
        > That the included tent stakes are so lightweight that they lack sufficient strength to be used without bending.
        >

        > I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.terra-nova.co.uk" LINK TEXT = "Wild Country">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for the opportunity to test this tent.

      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2012
          Thanks for editing this series.
          My edits have been fixed and the report uploaded and the test copy deleted.
          Mike