IR: GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Kettle - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hi Lori,

      Please find following the text of my IR. The HTML can be found here, or at http://tinyurl.com/d5y7oah

      Thanks in advance for the edits.

      Kind Regards,

      Kerri

      TEST SERIES BY KERRI LARKIN

      INITIAL REPORT - 1 November 2012

      GSI Image
      Courtesy GSI Outdoors

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: Female
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 253 lb (113 kg)

      I've been a car-camper and bushwalker for thirty years. Mostly I do day hikes as my passion is photography, which means I walk very slowly! I've returned to walking after some years away due to injuries and I'm learning to use Ultralight gear (and my hammock!). I've traveled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts. My fortieth birthday was spent trekking in Nepal which was a truly life changing experience.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:
      GSI Outdoors
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: gsioutdoors.com
      MSRP: US$ 22.95

      Glacier Stainless Measurements

      Manufacturer Specified Measured
      Capacity: 1 qt (946 ml) 1.06 qt (1000 ml)
      Weight: 9.3 oz (262 g) 9.0 oz (254 g)
      Dimensions 6.3"x5.9"x3.5" (161x150x89 mm)
      6.3"x5.9"x3.5" (161x150x89 mm)
      Materials: High Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Glacier is marketed as an "Ultra-rugged kettle for campfire fans", and the website lists it as suitable for "Ultralight Backpacking, Gourmet Backpacking." To be honest, I've never considered carrying a kettle before. I usually just boil water in my pot, but I can see there are advantages to having a dedicated kettle in terms of ease of pouring boiling liquids, the volume of water which it holds, and ease of use. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the kettle performs in these areas, and whether it does justify the weight. Although I'm not a true ultralight backpacker, I'd class myself as lightweight and am particular about what finds its way into my pack.

      3.jpg
      Described as, "Fire-Proof, Rust-Proof, Scout-Proof" but
      wrapped in protective plastic

      My GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Kettle (hereafter called the kettle) arrived in a very smart cardboard presentation box. This looks like a quality item from the clean modern design of the packaging. Opening the box revealed the kettle was nestled in the box with a protective plastic bag covering it, and another covering the lid. I'm not sure why something the marketing says can be cleaned with sand should need a protective plastic bag, especially in these environmentally aware days, but it did arrive in first class condition.

      When I extracted the kettle from from its plastic wrap, I immediately loved the shape and feel of the thing. It looks gorgeous, but it also looks like it's meant for business. The lid fitted perfectly without the need for a crowbar to open it, and the handle sits exactly where I'd expect; nicely against the sides with minimal protrusion when folded, and can be removed completely if needed. I love that GSI have found an easy solution to the perennial problem of burnt hands when using almost any cookware. The Glacier's handle locks in an upright position, keeping it as far removed from the heat as possible. Thank you GSI.

      4.jpg
      5.jpg
      The handle stowed and extended for use. It actually stay upright!

      The kettle spout is a funny looking thing - squat and a bit roughly cut - but it works. So often kettles and teapots dribble or send fluid sideways and, rather than aiding the pouring process, appear to be designed to deposit the kettle contents anywhere but the cup. Not so with the Glacier; this kettle pours beautifully without fuss, drips, or drama. The spout is, as I said, squat, but this means there's less poking out to snag in a pack or tear a hole in gear crammed next to it in my pack.

      6.jpg 7.jpg
      A spout only it's mother could love
      Squat means no snags in the pack

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      There were no instructions included with the kettle, but it really is obvious how it fits together. The packaging showed some great information on the fact that the Glacier is uncoated. Nothing to chip, get in my food, or give me cancer here. Because the kettle is uncoated, GSI says it can be scaped, scoured with sand or thrown in the dishwasher without concern. The reason for choosing stainless steel is so the kettle can be used with wood fires and still be easily cleaned. I'll be looking with interest as to how that works.

      1.jpg
      2.jpg
      Box detail
      Coating and surface information from the box

      The box detail also shows the kettle is capable of nesting a 110 gram (3.9 oz) gas cartridge internally. While that's great, it's probably not a feature I will use, and I think I can use the internal volume of the kettle more fully than a single gas canister.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Although the manufacturer states this is a 1 quart (946 ml) kettle I was able to squeeze 1.06 quarts, (one litre) into it. However, I don't believe that is a true reflection of a usable capacity. Even when filled with one quart, the water is half way up the spout, meaning hot fluid is going to be shooting out the spout once it comes to a boil. To me, a more realistic capacity would be to expect about 0.9 quarts (850 ml), which takes the fluid level to the base of the spout.

      For an initial tryout I used the burner of my gas stove to see how long it would take to boil 500ml water. The kettle sat nicely on the burner ring and the wide, flat, base made it very stable. It took a full five minutes to reach a rolling boil, but the beautiful thing was that the handle was completely cool. I was able to pick up the kettle without burning my fingers. I love that! I'm looking forward to trying the kettle on a wood fire to see if thatremains true.

      8.jpg
      The Glacier kettle is stable on the stove, and, the handle stays cool!

      SUMMARY

      That concludes my Initial Term Report on the GSI Outdoors Glacier kettle. I'd like to thank both GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.