IR - Acli-Mate - Sport Drink - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2012
      Brett,

      Here is my IR for this mini test series.

      > http://bit.ly/RyLU31

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Acli-Mate -- Mountain Sports Drink

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 23 Oct 2012
      Long-Term Report:
      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 36
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Acli-Mate Formulations, LLC, Colorado, USA
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2012, made in USA
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE acli-mate.com
      MSRP $27.99 USD
      LISTED FEATURES
      "For use by mountain visitors, recreationalists and athletes at any altitude. Along with electrolytes, Acli-Mate Mountain Sport Drink contains a select blend of vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts to assist with acclimatization and mountain performance."

      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      ACCLIMATIZATION: Use 3 servings daily starting 3 days prior to travel at elevation and for the duration of your stay. (1-2 servings for kids)

      PERFORMANCE: Consume 30-60 minutes prior to exercise as a pre-sport energy supplement. May also be used during and after activity.

      RECOVERY: Consume 1-2 servings after exercise for replacement of essential vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.

      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (packet) N/A 0.55 oz (16 g)
      Dimensions (packet) N/A 3.25 x 4 in (8.2 x 10 cm)
      FLAVORS Colorado Cran-Raspberry, Elevation Orange, Mountain Grape

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Acli-Mate Mountain Sport Drink packets are an electrolyte and carbohydrate boosting supplement designed for high altitude acclimatization. There are 30 serving packets per box. One serving mixes with 10-12 ounces of water of cool or warm water that can be adjusted to taste.

      The supplement contains no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or high-fructose corn syrup, gluten, dairy, egg, soy, yeast, corn or caffeine. This supplement is listed as "a great hydration supplement for those with food allergies or sensitivities." Each packet contains only 35 calories and 8 grams of sugar per serving.

      Photo courtesy Acli-Mate.

      Colorado Cran-Raspberry - Organic Cane Sugar, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking), Natural Raspberry Flavoring, Natural Cranberry Raspberry Flavoring, Xanthan Gum, Vegetable Juice Color, Stevia Leaf Extract, Lo Han Fruit Extract.

      Elevation Orange - Organic Cane Sugar, Citric Acid, Natural Orange Flavor, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking), Malic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Orange Juice Powder, Beta Carotene (for Color), Stevia Leaf Extract, Lo Han Fruit Extract.

      Mountain Grape - Organic Cane Sugar, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Natural Grape Flavor, Grape Skin Extract (for Color), Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking), Grape Juice Powder, Xanthan Gum, Stevia Leaf Extract, Lo Han Fruit Extract.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I'm already enjoying the product. I've tried each of the packets so far and each has a great flavor. I've not noticed any distinct after taste or sugary flavor, which is nice. There is also NO effervescence or fizziness in the drink.

      The recommended usage requirements for acclimatization, performance, and recovery seem a little high at first and I can see that I could run through the 30-pack sample very quickly by using multiple packets before, during, and at the end of each day. I may try a reduced regimin for simple day hikes and try the recommendations for higher-altitude backpacking adventures. Since I live at elevation (7,000 ft/2,133 m), I'm looking more for electrolyte replacement and recovery help for shorter trips. However, I've experienced acute altitude symptoms at 10,000 ft (3,000 m), so I'm looking forward to boosting my acclimatization and performance for these trips.

      INITIAL SUMMARY

      The packets offer a convenient serving option and are easy to add to my pack for on-the-go day hikes or planned backpacking trips. I'm looking forward to testing this product in the field to see how I feel while backpacking at altitude.

      I would like to thank Acli-Mate and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2012
        Derek,
        I always love monitoring your reports. Your report is always so great to look at! I'm sorry it took a little longer to get to it than usual, but here are your edits. Once you have made the changes, please feel free to upload the report to tinyurl.com/ba3wusr.
        Your edits follow the usual format:
        EDIT: must be changedEdit: recommended changeComment: maybe a joke

        -Brett
        <snip>
        MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE acli-mate.comEDIT: Your link workws fine, however the url is "www.acli-mate.com".

        <snip>

        One serving mixes with 10-12 ounces of water of cool or warm water
        that can be adjusted to taste.

        EDIT: need a conversion for the fl oz.

        <snip>

        Each packet contains only 35 calories and 8 grams of sugar per
        serving.

        Edit: I assume we need a conversion from 8 g to .2 oz

        <snip>

        I may try a reduced regimin
        for simple day hikes and try the recommendations for higher-altitude
        backpacking adventures.

        EDIT: change regimin to regimen

        Comment: Good idea, but you
        should definitely follow the manufacturer�s instructions as best as you
        can. If you really wanted to try
        something tricky, hike a peak over 10,000 ft without and then go back a couple
        weeks later taking it as recommended.

        <snip>

        I would like to thank Acli-Mate and BackpackGearTest.org for
        providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

        EDIT: seems silly, but please put the following: �This concludes
        my Initial Report.�