IR: 180 Tack 180 Stove - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      I've posted my IR for the 180 stove to the test folder.

      The link and text are below.

      Thanks for checking it out & providing the edits.

      Nancy

       http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20180%20Stove-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/8auw73r

      180 TACK 180 STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      October 13, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "180 Stove">>Manufacturer: 180 Tack, LLC.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.180tack.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.180tack.com/">>
      MSRP: $46.95 US
      Listed Weight: 10.4 oz (295 g)
      Measured Weight: 10.3 oz (292 g)
      Listed Size (Assembled): 7 in x 6 in x 3.25 in (18 cm x 15 cm x 8 cm)
      Listed Size (Disassembled): 7 in x 3.25 in x 0.6 in (18 cm x 8 cm x 1.5 cm)
      Sizes confirmed by measurement.
      Optional Accessory Tested: 2-piece snow & ash pan; $17.95 US; 5.8 oz (164 g)
      Made in USA

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The 180 STOVE is a wood-burning stove made of 24 gauge 304 stainless steel components.  The pieces assemble and disassemble without the need for any tools.  There are no moving parts, hinges, screws, rivets or welds.  The pieces fit together using a tab and slot interlocking method.  The stove is three-sided to allow for wind resistance and the open side is used for feeding the fire.  The back side has six holes to allow for air flow.  The right and left hand sides have '180 STOVE' punched through the wall which allows for air flow.  There are three cross-members which span the sides to provide structure and create the grates for the cooking surface.
      The optional snow and ash pan is a two-piece interlocking barrier to place under the stove in deep snow conditions and to protect the ground.  It is also made of 24 gauge 304 stainless steel.  The pieces separate and can be stacked with the stove for storage.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "heating water">>My initial impression was that the stove is very sturdy and solid.  The cook surface is huge and seems adequate for me to use with my heaviest kitchen pots and pans.  I was able to easily assemble the stove without reading the instructions.  I had some difficulty getting one side of one of the struts to slip into the stove side.  I forced it and it seems easier to slip in now but is still tight.
      I tried the stove out in the yard to get an idea of just how quickly it could boil water.  I gathered small twigs up to about finger-sized and some pine straw and built a small fire on top of the snow and ash pan.  Once the fire got going I carefully slid the stove over the top of the fire.  I set my titanium pot on the grates with 20 oz (0.6 L) of water, covered it with the lid and waited for it to boil.  As the fire dwindled I added to it which carefully keeping my fingers away from the steel which was very hot.  It took 5 minutes to see bubbles forming on the bottom and sides, 9 minutes to boil and 12 minutes to achieve a rolling boil.
      I can see that with some practice that I can do better at this since one time I put fuel pieces on the fire which were too large and slowed it and one time I let it get too low.  I also ended with a pretty large fire which then had to cool before I could pack everything up again.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "soot">>It took about 6 minutes to be cool enough to handle the stove at which time I disassembled it and stacked it as follows: side, grates, back, side.  My fingers got quite covered with soot from the sides of the grate.  The stove sides weren't as dirty.  I then carefully dumped out the ash pan and waited 6 minutes for it to be cool enough to handle.  I disassembled it and placed one half on either side of the stack I made with the stove.
      Since this was just an experiment I used the warm water for washing my hands and for dousing the coals.  Overall I was pretty impressed with how quickly the water warmed when I had a nice small fire going under the pot.  I'm looking forward to getting to know this stove better.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS & WARRANTY

      An instruction sheet was included which explained how to assemble and disassemble the stove and how to pack it up.  For cleaning it says to wipe it down to remove smoke residue and then to clean it with dish washing detergent or in the dishwasher.  Heat discoloration is normal.
      The sheet also explained how the build an appropriate fire using a variety of foraged fuels.  There is a fire wisdom and fire safety section which can be summarized as 'Use your head and don't be an idiot.'
      There is a two-year warranty which covers all components for material defects and workmanship.

      SUMMARY

      The 180 Stove is a well-made simple design for a woodburning stove.  It has a large cooking surface and stacks to a compact size for travel.
      Initial Likes:
      No fuel to carry
      Disassembles to compact size
      Made in USA
      Initial Dislikes:
      Had difficulty getting grate strut assembled
      Pot and hands got dirty from soot
      Stove pieces stay hot (especially ash pan)
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Please check back in approximately two months to see how things are going in my Field Report.  Thanks to 180 Tack and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.