APPLICATION: Obermeyer Kestral Jacket - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2012
      Application to test the Obermeyer Kestral Jacket

      Please accept my application to test the Obermeyer Kestral jacket.  I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables.  My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:    Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  48
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email address:  bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country:  Idaho Falls, Idaho  U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25.  After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.  I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children.  For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly every month, year-round.  We vary our experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow.  I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho at approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea level.  Outings during the test period will include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft (1,433 m) and 12,668 feet (3,861 m).  Potential destinations for what will be snowshoe and cross-country outings once the snow falls include the Portneuf Range near Pocatello, Idaho; Craters of the Moon National Monument near Arco, Idaho; the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area near Idaho Falls, Idaho; and the Palisades and Teton Valley areas.  Weather during the test period should include wind, rain, and snow with average temps ranging from highs in the low 60’s F (15 C) in October to the low teens F (-10 to -18 C).  However, the temperature can and often does drop to 30 below 0 F (-34 C) or colder: perfect weather for testing a jacket such as the Kestral.

      Proposed Test Plan:

      In S.E. Idaho and surrounding area, you don’t go into the backcountry this late in the year without a very warm coat.  This one looks like a great option.  I am interested in how well the recycled EcoGenesis stretch fabric moves with me; how its 20K waterproof rating sheds moisture and how well it breathes; and of course, how well the body mapped Thinsulate insulation and Cocona Baselayer do keeping me warm.  I would like the opportunity to find the answers to these and most likely several questions unasked in this application.

      If selected to participate in this test, I believe I will need an XL; ideally in the bright orange “Juice” color.  Thanks to Obermeyer and BGT for considering me to test this jacket.

      Current Tests:

      - Big Agnes Jackrabbit SL2 Tent - Long-Term Report Due Oct 16, 2012
      - tasc Performance Level A Short-sleeve Base Layer - Long Term Testing
      - Black Diamond Mercury 75 pack - Field Report awaiting edit
      - Exxel Outdoors SUISSE SPORT "K2" MUMMY SLEEPING BAG - Field Testing

      Tester Status Page:

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      - None

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my previous reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl

      Owner Reviews (past 12 months): 0