EDIT: IR - GSI Glacier Stainless Kettle - Katie Montovan

  • Lori Pontious
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2012
      Hi Katie,

      The html is clean and well done - I like all the nice border work.

      Edits in the usual format - EDIT needs changing, Edit is suggested change, Comment is not necessarily a change but could be�

      You forgot to cc to my email as per the new procedure.

      On Oct 9, 2012, at 6:01 PM, sull0294 <sull0294@...> wrote:

      > In general, I strive for a compact and light pack
      > but value well-made and durable gear over ultralight items.
      Comment: Not specific to the kettle, but, consider removing the judgment about ultralight items. You are going to be read by backpackers of all kinds, and judging ultralight gear to be less durable (it isn't always) is going to alienate that particular, sometimes-fanatical subgroup of backpackers before they even get to the review. I suggest merely leaving off the last three words in the sentence, and editing "but" to "and".

      There is something wrong with the link to the mfr.'s website - it is not clickable. This needs to be fixed.

      > Listed Capacity: 1 qt.
      EDIT: need the conversion to liters here.

      > Listed Dimensions: 6.3" x 5.9" x 3.5" (16 x 15 x 8.9 cm)
      > Measured Dimensions:
      > Base: ~6" (15.2 cm) diameter
      > Opening: ~5" (12.7 cm) diameter
      > Height: ~3.5" (8.9 cm)
      EDIT: I think the approximation followed by precise-to-the-first-decimal numbers is imbalanced. The tildes before the initial measurement can be removed.

      EDIT: the caption with the picture is inconsistent with the rest of the report - capitalize Glacier Tea Kettle.

      > The GSI Glacier Kettle is a stainless steel tea kettle with a wide base
      > that is designed for durability and superior heating that allows for
      > cooking over any stove or open flame.
      Edit: It's customary in reports for BGT to identify the alternate names you will use for the item in this first sentence, something like this - "The GSI Glacier Kettle (hereafter, the "kettle" or the "tea kettle") �. "

      > and is secure enough to not fall down on it's own, but is easy to get

      > disengaged to fold down and out of the way. The spout is short enough to

      EDIT: its, not it's

      Edit: consider "easy to fold down and out of the way" - same idea, fewer words. Or, "easy to disengage and fold down and out of the way."

      > stay out of the way when packed, but long enough to pour well.
      > I took out my camping cookware to see how this kettle would nest with
      > other items and found that the Solo Stove fits inside it quite well. I
      EDIT: no need to name the stove. The focus of the review should be on the item reviewed.

      > I am impressed by my initial test of this kettle and am looking forward
      > to testing it in the field over a range of stoves. I will test the
      > boiling times and will keep a close eye on the durability of this tea
      > kettle, and the ease with which it cleans up after heavy use over a fire.
      Comment: I am not sure boil time is really relevant - it would be if the focus was on the stove, but unless you are going to compare the stainless to titanium or other materials, it doesn't seem to me that time to boil would really be a factor in whether a reader would get the pot or not.

      Don't forget to delete the draft from the test folder - have fun boiling water! I have the HAE version of this one, it's worked well for me.