LTR: Garmont Amica Trail Shoes - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2012
      Jamie,
      Here is my LTR for the Garmont Amica Trail Shoes. Thanks in advance for the edits and for your time being the Monitor of this series. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/9rb6o7y

      Long
      Term Report:
      October 10, 2012

      Locations
      and
      Conditions

      During
      the field test period I have worn the Garmont Amica Trail Shoes
      during an additional three backpacking trips. They have also been worn for at least a dozen dayhikes.
      Location of
      the
      backcountry trips were in Michigan and Wisconsin, USA and ranged
      from hilly deciduous forest to open
      non-deciduous communities plus cliff trails above lakeshore.
      Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (610 m).

      September
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Grand Island National
      Recreation Area, Lake Superior, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 9.5 mi (15.3 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Pack Weight: 21 lbs
      (9.53 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Mostly
      cloudy, windy
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature Range: 44 F to 65 F
      (7 C to 18 C)

      Mid-September
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Grand Island National
      Recreation Area, Lake Superior, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 21 mi (34 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Pack Weight: 21 lbs
      (9.53 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature Range: 47 F to 81 F
      (8 C to 27 C)

      Late
      September
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Porcupine Mountains State
      Park, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 29 mi (47 km)
      Length of Trip: 4 days, 3 nights
      Pack Weight: 25.5 lb
      (11.6 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy and
      sunny
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature Range: 31 F to 62
      F (-1 C to 17 C)

      Dayhikes

      Locations: Trail systems in both
      Michigan and Wisconsin
      Distance: 5 to 10 mi (8 km to 16 km)
      Temperature Range: 35 F to 72 F
      (2 C to 22 C)

      ________________________________
      Performance
      in the Field

      I have continued to
      wear the Garmont Amicas for more backpacking trips. My first trip of
      the long term period was to Grand Island that was simply an
      overnighter. Although it
      did not rain during the trip, the trails were extremely wet from many
      days of rain prior to the start of the trip. There were many large
      puddles and wet vegetation. The Amicas performed spectacularly to keep
      my feet dry! This trip was short in distance too (less than 10 mi/16 km)
      and my feet remained very comfortable. The next trip was the following
      weekend to Grand Island again. This trip was considerably longer in
      distance topping out over 21 miles (34 km) over two days. The
      trails were
      mostly dry. My pack weight remained low and I had no trouble with the
      longer trek while wearing the Amicas.

      My next outing was a four-day backpacking trip to Porcupine
      Mountains State Park. I
      hesitated to wear the Amicas due to a heavier pack weight but I knew
      the trails could be wet so that balanced my decision in favor of
      wearing them. The weather actually didn't provide any rain during this
      trip but there were several river crossings. There are usually rocks in
      the river that I can hop from one to another but many of the tops of
      those were slightly under water. I was glad that the Amicas kept my
      feet dry in the
      cool conditions. My trail distances weren't excessive during this trip
      with the first and last day being rather short but the middle two days
      I hiked in excess of 11 miles (17 km) each day. The Amicas were
      noticeably less
      comfortable during the longer days.

      Summary

      The Amicas have been worn for over 122 mi (196 km) of backpacking and an
      estimated 140 mi (225 km) of dayhiking.Overall I have been happy with the performance of the Amicas for
      shorter backpacking trips and dayhiking. Mostly that opinion stems from the fact that
      the comfort level goes down with a higher pack weight due to the combination of my body weight and pack weight (which a longer
      backpacking trip requires). It is also related to the distance
      traveled. With that in mind I will definitely continue to wear the
      Amicas for dayhikes and short backpack trips but not so much for extended backpacking trips. I think the
      Amicas could be improved with more cushion underfoot as the rest of the
      shoe has high comfort factors already (love the extra padding in the
      tongue especially).The traction on the shoes remains very good and the overall durability
      of the shoes is not in question. There are no problem or worn areas.
      They have an excellent record for keeping my feet dry in wet conditions!

      Pros

          * Great
      traction

          * Waterproof!!

          * Comfortable

      Cons

          * More cushioning on the footbeds is desired

      ________________________________
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Garmont and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Amica Trail Shoes.This concludes my
      Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top of Page
    • Jamie Lawrence
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2012
        Hi Gail,

        Thanks for the report. See my 2 small comments below. Feel free to upload
        and enjoy your future tests :)

        Cheers!

        Jamie

        On 11 October 2012 00:52, woodswoman <woodswoman2001@...> wrote:

        > Long
        > Term Report:
        > October 10, 2012
        >
        > Locations
        > and
        > Conditions
        >
        > During the field test period I have worn the Garmont Amica Trail Shoes
        > during an additional three backpacking trips. They have also been worn for
        > at least a dozen dayhikes.
        > Location of the backcountry trips were in Michigan and Wisconsin, USA
        > and ranged
        > from hilly deciduous forest to open non-deciduous communities plus cliff
        > trails above lakeshore.

        Comment: In the first sentence you refer to backpacking trips, but then
        refer to these trips as backcountry trips. Best make them consistent. This
        applies to the headings for the field locations that follow

        By the way, that photo by the lake is totally awesome!

        > Summary
        >
        > The traction on the shoes remains very good and the overall durability of
        > the shoes is not in question.

        Comment: This reads strange to me. It would either be the soles of the
        shoes remain good or the traction of the shoes remains...