LTR - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil View Dry Bags - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2012
      Hi Ralph, thank you for editing, enjoy the report, these dry sacks were fantastic!

      Here is my HTML:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-S2S%20Ultra-Sil%20View%20Dry%20Bags%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      SEA TO SUMMIT ULTRA-SIL VIEW DRY SACK

      Test Series By Theresa Lawrence
      LTR
      October 09, 2012

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Long-Term Test Conditions and Locations

      Over the past 4 months these dry bags have accompanied me on several multi-night backpacking trips in the South Canadian Rockies (Banff National Park, Glacier National Park, Bugaboo Provincial Park and Height of the Rockies Provincial Park). I have also brought them on a few car camping nights and day hikes, as well as a 4 day sea-kayaking trip in the North Gulf Islands. I have also used these sacks in my Search and Rescue ready-pack to keep my down jacket and extra clothes dry. They have seen everything from mountain thunderstorms, to snow, to fresh water creeks, to salt water ocean spray.

      Performance In The Field

      These dry bags have been absolutely fantastic to use. They are extremely light and appear to be very durable for backpacking. They allowed me to keep miscellaneous gear together in one place in my backpack. And the window was a great bonus that quickly let me find whatever I so desired. These sacks proved over and over again to be waterproof. They've sat in snow, been showered on, sat in creeks and a kayak, with no water penetration. I trust my down sleeping bag and down jacket to these sacks.

      The 13 L sac fits my down sleeping bag perfectly, but of course the window would be wasted for this use. Better use of the window was using the 13 L as a food sack. This proved especially useful, as I was able to find the food items I wanted quickly. And the roll down and clip closure provided a handle that I could use to hang my food to keep away from wild animals. On one trip a mountain thunderstorm let loose a deluge of rain and inclement weather and in the morning everything in the food cache was dry! I was delighted and very impressed.

      The 8 L sac was great for miscellaneous bits of gear such as my headlamp, lighter, toque, gloves, etc. This size was also perfect for the top compartment of my backpack to keep everything dry as well as keep everything from falling out when I opened it on the trail. Though of course it took longer to get an item out, but on the flip side I got a break on the trail.

      While these dry sacks aren't intended for marine use, I did take them sea-kayaking. I found they were useful for keeping items I needed quick access to, like snacks, hats, bandannas, duct tape, etc. In this case I kept them with me in the cockpit, where they sat in about an inch of water all day for several days and brilliantly kept everything dry.

      Summary

      These dry bags have been nothing short of impressive and brilliant in their performance and what they can offer a backpacking experience. They were lightweight, durable, easy to pack and kept gear organized and easy to find. I have no complaints whatsoever and I intend to continue using these sacks for backpacking, dayhiking and my Search and Rescue ready-pack.

      LIKES
      - Lightweight
      - View window allows quick finding of gear
      - Keeps miscellaneous gear together
      - Waterproof (keeps down jacket, extra clothes and food dry)
      - Durable
      - Fun colours

      DISLIKES
      - Nothing!

      I give my sincere thanks to Sea To Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test these fabulous dry bags. Thank-you!

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.