Application - Obermeyer Kestral Jacket - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2012
      No snow yet but forecast is good for the Northeast this year!
      Please accept my application to test the Obermeyer Kestral Jacket.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. I have signed and submitted the Tester Agreement.
      Name: Mike PearlEmail: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcomAge: 38Location: Hanover, New Hampshire, USAGender: MHeight: 5' 9" (1.75 m)Weight: 155 lb (70.30 kg)
      I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity.  I am a three-season backpacker and year round hiker.  Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week long trip.  I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent.  I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views.  I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority.  I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.
        Test Plan:  I used an Obermeyer jacket for the first time last winter.  I was very impressed with its performance.  But mildly disappointed by the lack of a powder skirt, inner cuffs and that the hood was not removable.
      The Kestral answers with all three and then some.  Could the addition of these three features push my winter comfort to a new level?  Of even more interest is the body mapped insulation.  Will I need to adjust my layering system?  Will there be any over or under insulated spots?  I also notice the arm pocket position differs from the previous jacket.  Is this an improvement or not?
      As seen in my Bio I am not a winter camper.  Maybe this is the winter but every year I think of making the leap.  I do really enjoy being in the cold and the snow though.  In an area with winter temperatures averaging 20 F (-6C) and average snowfall of 100 in (250 cm) that is good thing.  I can spend all day hiking, snowshoeing and X-C skiing the 760 to 4,800 ft (230 to 1460 m) terrain my area has to offer.

      Current Test:  Hoorag LTR due 1/8/13 & Clif Bars Kits Organic Bars LTR due 1/8/13
      Test Status Page:  http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1884.htm%c2%a0OR's Within The Last Year:  Two Report Page: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mike%20pearl
      Outstanding Applications: One (Outdoor Products - Amphibian Defense Pack) BGT Roles:  Test Monitor Thank you for your consideration,Mike