Application to test - Honey Stinger Waffles - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Honey Stinger Waffles. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 52
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Moorhead
      State: Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: October 4, 2012

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I like to get a fast start to my hiking day; I don't make breakfast and never stop for lunch while hiking. I have been using energy bars since they came out, and then switched to "food bars" as they became available. I plan two for breakfast, and two to eat as I hike during the day, taking the place of "lunch". With these it would be waffles instead of bars.

      I am very interested in nutrition. As may be seen by my many food bar reviews, I like the idea of organic and raw foods, I know it is better for me. So I am attracted to the claimed ingredients of the Honey Stinger Waffles (the web site has no nutritional info, something I will bring up and rectify if chosen to test).

      If selected to test these I will see how they do to satisfy my hunger. Will they have the protein and fats to keep me going for those first four to five hard-charging hours when I first leave camp? Do they even HAVE proteins and fats? Will they be tasty enough to make me look forward to the next one?

      I expect that they have plenty of carbs (and will verify and list). Will they provide enough carbs to pick me up and keep me moving up the trail at mid-day? Will the carbs not be empty sugars that are going to leave me bonking in an hour?

      How much bang-for-the-buck do I get with these? What is the calorie per ounce for them? I want the most nutrition for the least amount of weight.

      The biggest advantage that I see with the Waffles is the fact that they should not be affected by freezing as much as a moist bar. Winter is right around the corner in MN. I take at least two multi-day hikes each month and will continue this pace during the test. I expect to see snow, wind, and very cold days, with temps from freezing to -20 F over the course of the test.

      I have three tests in progress at this time. I will be turning in the LTR for the tasc T and the Kit's Organic Bars as soon as I get home. (I am in CA right now.) The Bridgford Jerky is trying to find its way to me for an IR to be done.

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      I have no other apps in at this time.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Mod, Editor, Mentor, and Test Monitor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written over 170 Owner Reviews, four last month.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray