APPLICATION - Outdoor Products Amphibian Pack - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2012
      John,

      Thank you for this opportunity to apply. I added some information about hiking at elevation, as indicated in your test call, although I'm not 100% sure if you really need it.

      1. DISCLAIMER

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I
      promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has
      been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 36
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 170 lb (77 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a 3-season overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions. I favor lightweight trail running shoes or sandals for three-season backpacking.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      Most of my testing will be in the high desert and canyons of northern Arizona, with occasional trips along the Mogollon Rim. Elevation is around 7,000 ft (2,100 m). Located in a high desert, northern Arizona boasts a wide-range of conditions, with summer monsoons, moderate daytime temperatures low temperatures during the night, and lots of wind.

      I live "at elevation" and I routinely hike and backpack among the highest peaks in Arizona. This summer, I completed two backpacking trips around the Kachina Peaks at elevations above 11,000 ft (3,300 m). Most of my trips range in elevation from 6,000 to 10,000 ft (1,800 to 3,000 m).

      I have monthly backpacking and camping trips planned with a Boy Scout troop I work with. Outside of scouting, I often get on one more overnight trips each month along with multiple day hikes with family.

      There are a few reasons I am applying for this backpack. First, as we move into the fall and winter seasons, having a waterproof pack will be handy as the moisture rolls in. I often do day hikes and training runs in wet weather this time of year. Second, I'm trying some ultralight backpacking and having a small-volume pack will help me pack more strategically if I find I can use this pack for select overnight trips. Winter camping usually means more gear and insulation, but I foresee using this pack along with a pulk sled for some trips.

      4. CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      Princeton Tec Headlamp - LTR Oct
      Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent - FR Oct
      Suisse Sport McKinley Sleeping Bag - FR Oct

      5. OWNER REVIEWS
      I have completed five (5) owner reviews in 2012.

      6. OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS
      Acli-Mate Sports Drink

      7. ADDITIONAL BGT ROLES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor and editor.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.