LTR - Ahnu Montara Boots - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2012
      Ryan,

      Below is the text for my LTR on the Ahnu Montara boots. The HTML is in the
      test folder at: http://tinyurl.com/9sncg94

      I awaiting your edits and comments with appreciation for the work you
      did/are doing!

      Kathy
      _________________________________

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      As in my Field Report, all of my backpacking and hiking time while wearing
      the Ahnu Montara boots was in southern Colorado except for a three-day
      weekend hiking trip in September to the mountains near Beaver Creek in
      Summit County, Colorado.

      While in the backcountry, the terrain varied but was primarily alpine
      mountain trails in the high desert foothills and valleys of the Cooper
      Mountain range in Fremont County. The Beaver Creek area is typical Rocky
      Mountain pine and aspen mountain terrain, seems like all of it is "upwards"!

      On two different overnight trips and several (4-5) day hikes, my hiking took
      place in the Royal Gorge BLM (Bureau of Land Management) District which
      abuts the north boundary of our property in Canon City, Colorado. Elevation
      is roughly between 5300 ft (1600 m) and 9100 ft (2770 m). This summer, we
      broke all sorts of temperature records here in Colorado and temperatures
      during the daytime very often exceeded 90+ F (32+ C). While it has been said
      that our heat is a "dry" heat - it's still been very hot. I've often
      remarked that an oven is "dry" heat as well! Thanks to our desert climate,
      we usually reached a low at night 70 F (21 C) or slightly lower for
      comfortable sleeping.

      This most recent foray (Beaver Creek) was in much cooler weather with a high
      of 72 F (22 C) and off-and-on drizzle - no snow though. Below are a couple
      of pictures on the Beaver Creek Corkscrew trail.

      Taking a break on the trail

      Aspen leaves-covered trail

      I also wore the Montaras for some casual wear outings such as ziplining near
      the Royal Gorge. Between the zipline platforms there was some rough terrain
      totaling a couple of miles (3 km) of hiking along an old mining road. I was
      certainly glad to have on good hiking boots!

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I've easily put an additional 50 miles (80 km) on the Montaras during the
      last two months. I probably would have worn them more but it's been so
      exceptionally hot this past summer. While I almost always wear mid-height
      boots due to my fear of rattlers and prickly vegetation, this year I've had
      to force myself at times to wear these heavier boots rather than some of my
      other lighter weight trail shoes. And while the Montaras are not the
      heaviest boots I own, they are still heavier/hotter than trail shoes.

      Nonetheless, I did wear the Montaras backpacking and greatly appreciated the
      support and protection they afforded me especially when carrying a backpack
      weighing in excess of 25 lb (11 kg) or so. Thanks to the generous insole
      cushion and outsoles, I never suffered any adverse effects from rough
      terrain, no sore arches or blackened toenails from steep downhill climbs. I
      never even felt the need to put in after-market insoles either. And I do so
      like the stiff ankle support which balances out my natural klutziness a bit.

      Recently, I did have a problem on an 8-mile (13 kg) day hike though. I don't
      know why but suddenly the right boot started to rub the inside upper part of
      my foot where the tongue of the boot is attached to the boot body. I sat
      down on the trail, pulled off the boot and examined the lining to see what
      was causing the irritation but couldn't find anything unusual. I tried
      lacing the boot up more tightly, then loosened the laces, then wiggled the
      tongue around several times, to no avail. It was annoying but not enough to
      ruin my enjoyment of a wonderfully beautiful hike through aspen groves and
      fortunately, the skin didn't blister. I have no idea why the rubbing
      occurred and the next day I didn't feel a thing! Maybe it was the socks I
      had on. Normally I wear a pretty thick hiking sock but I was trying out a
      pair of compression socks which were more lightweight than my usual choice.
      Yeah, it was probably the socks!

      Dust and mud have played havoc with the pretty tawny port color of my
      Montaras and they no longer look like new. As a matter of fact, they look
      quite disgustingly dingy right now. I suppose I will have to clean them up
      when I get home from my latest trip and get them ready for winter when I
      know they will be front and center in my boot line-up for snowshoeing. Bring
      on the snow, eh?

      SUMMARY

      I really like the Ahnu Montara boots for their great ankle support, sole
      cushioning and waterproofness. They kept me steady on "iffy" terrain and I
      found them to be "sticky" enough for the granite slabs as well as the
      ball-bearing-like scree I often encounter. Despite the abuse I've given them
      via scuffs, mud, prickly vegetation and stream-crossings, the boots have
      held up well. In my previous experiences with Ahnu boots, I've had similar
      results so I expect the Montaras to be in my backpacking wardrobe for some
      time.

      My only negative comment would be they turned out to be too hot for this
      abnormally hot summer and I passed them over on a couple of trips just for
      that reason. I am, however, looking forward to wearing them a lot this
      coming winter (and future winters) for snowshoeing backpacks.

      My sincere thanks to and Ahnu for the opportunity to wear these boots.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
    • RyanC
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2012
        Kathy,

        Nice report as usual. I liked the photos. Glad that you liked the boots. I could not find anything in need of correcting. Please upload at your convenience.

        See you on the next one.

        Ryan
      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2012
          Thanks. Delayed response, but uploading right now. Thanks for your work on this report series. A pleasure to work with you!