IR - Gerber Instant Knife - Bob Sanders

  • Bob Sanders
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012
      Hi Jamie,

      Here is my report for the Gerber. HTML in the test folder at… http://tinyurl.com/9ktapkk

      Thanks for your help with this.

      All the best,
      Bob

      Gerber - Instant Knife

      Test Series by Bob Sanders

      Initial Report: September 25, 2012

      PERSONAL INFORMATION
      Name: Bob Sanders

      Backpacking Background: I went on my first backpacking trip as a Boy Scout at the age of 16. Over the years I have hiked the Wonderland Trail in Washington and section hiked parts of the Florida Trail, Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail and 740 mi (1191 km) of the Pacific Crest Trail. I continue to backpack and hike year round in the Colorado mountains. I have evolved from a heavyweight backpacker to a lightweight backpacker and sometimes reach ultralight weights. My three day fall/winter solo adventures (using a tent) have me hovering around a 17 lb (7.7 kg) base weight.

      Age: 54
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email: sherpabob(at)mac(dot)com
      Location: Longmont, Colorado USA

      INITIAL REPORT

      September 25, 2012

      PRODUCT INFORMATION (Description From Website)
      Manufacturer: Gerber
      Manufactured: 2012
      Website: www.gerbergear.com

      Tactically inspired, the Instant utilizes Gerber's Assisted Opening 2.0 mechanism for easy, one-handed blade opening. The thumb plunge unlocks the three-and-a-half-inch blade for safe closure. Layers of G-10 composite are textured and shaped to make an ultra-light, ultra-tactile handle. It's a sleek clip folder made for everyday use.

      Specs:
      The specs differed from the packaging to the website. I decided to list the website specs as I felt they would be the most current and easiest to change.
      • Blade Length: 3.18 in (8 cm)
      • Measured Blade Length 3.25 in (8.25 cm)
      • Closed Length: 4.57 in (11.6 cm)
      • Measured Closed Length: 4.57 in (11.6 cm)
      • Overall Length: 7.75 in (19.68 cm)
      • Measured Overall Length: 7.8 in (19.81 cm)
      • Weight: 4.01 oz
      • Measured Weight 4.02 oz (114 g)
      • Steel Type: 7Cr17Mo
      • G-10 Handle
      • MSRP: $49 US

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I have to say right off the bat that I really like this knife. I'm not a big knife person but when it arrived I took it out of the package and it felt great in my hand. I opened it for the first time and it really sprung open. It opened very fast and with some authority. For the next hour I sat on the couch and played with the knife. I would open and close it several times, sit it down and find myself picking it back up and opening and closing it some more. It just really felt comfortable in my hand. There is a good amount of resistance to the release when you push your thumb against the thumb stud. It's stiff at first until you get used to it. After opening the blade 3-4 times you get a feel for how to hold the handle in the palm of your hand to get the best pressure against the thumb stud.

      The grip has an excellent texture and there is no feeling that the knife will slip. The grooves, or cut outs in the handle also seem to enhance the grip. The knife is well balanced and I always felt like I had control of the knife.

      I especially like the all black finish. We will see how long the black finish on the blade will last.

      The blade can be opened with either hand but the pocket clip is not reversible.

      The knife appears to be well made and it feels very sturdy. The blade locks in the open position firmly with no play. The only flaw in workmanship is what appears to be a blob or smear of glue right next to one of the screw heads along the top edge (See Photo Below). I can't be 100% sure it is glue other than it is shiny compared to the matte black handle.

      On top of the blade and the top front of the handle are some grooved thumb notches. This allows your thumb to sit on top of the knife and get a great grip. It also keeps your thumb from sliding forward. This really increases the overall grip on the knife. You release the locked blade in the open position by pushing the silver "Thumb Plunge Lock" on the side of the handle. The blade releases smoothly and drops a little more than half way (See Photo Below). Closing the knife has some options. You can close it with the other hand, reach up with your fingers and pull it closed or simply press the back side of the blade against your pant leg to close it. I find myself closing it with my thigh most often. The blade is quite sharp so you do need to be careful when closing.

      The knife has a great pocket clip. The knife is not too big so it fits in my pocket quite comfortably. I stuck it in my pocket and went to run errands. Even sitting and driving I never noticed the knife. I didn't even remember I had the knife with me until I went to bed and took my pants off.

      Like I said at the beginning, I really like this knife. I may find myself having it with me all the time. The half straight, half serrated blade will find lots of used. A serrated blade just does a much better job of cutting things like rope, cord, and freeze-dried food packages.

      Pros:
      • All black finish, very stealthy
      • Light weight, I would not carry a knife bigger or heavier than this
      • Compact size, fits my hand perfectly
      • Lightning fast opening, it really is instant

      Cons:

      • It is not a con, just a concern. How will the black finish on the blade hold up. Especially after a good sharpening. I will need to be very careful to keep from scratching it all up.

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Gerber for the opportunity to test this knife.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2012
        Hi Bob,

        Sorry for the delay. Hopefully the FR editing will go more smoothly.  I checked thru your html version, the layout looks good, pics are great and your links worked fine. My edit, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words. Since there were a few things go ahead and repost and I'll take one more quick look before you upload.

        Thanks.
        Jamie D.
        Gerber Instant Knife Monitor
        You – Description:

        ##Edit - Bob, it's my understanding that the product description in the IR is meant to be our own words not a copy-paste of the mfg's description. Please rewrite.

        You – Initial Impressions - There is a good amount of resistance to the release when you push your thumb against the thumb stud.

        ##Edit – Starting with this sentence and cont. throughout the report you've departed from a first person perspective in your observations. Please go thru and fix all the offending sentences.

        You - Weight: 4.01 oz

        ##Edit – please add the metric conversion for this measurement
        You - Like I said at the beginning, I really like this knife. I may find myself having it with me all the time. The half straight, half serrated blade will find lots of used

        ##Edit – lots of "use"
        You - How will the black finish on the blade hold up.

        ##Edit – up?
      • Bob Sanders
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2012
          Hi Jamie,

          Every once in a while I fall into that "you" thing.

          Corrections made and back in the test folder for your re-review. http://tinyurl.com/9ktapkk

          Thanks for your help with this test,

          Bob
        • Jamie D
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2012
            No worries Bob. I run into that one myself here and there. Looks like you got it all taken care of. Go ahead and upload when ready.

            Jamie D