IR - Gerber Gear Instant Knife - askLarry

  • laurence kirschner
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2012
      Dear Mystery Monitor-
      Here is my IR for the Gerber Instant Knife.
      HTML is at : http://tinyurl.com/d4bt3ub
      Looking forward to your comments.
      Cheers
      -larry
      ----------------------------
      Gerber Gear Instant Knife
      TEST SERIES BY LARRY KIRSCHNER

      INITIAL REPORT - September 19, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Larry KirschnerEMAIL: asklarry98 at hotmail dot comAGE: 48LOCATION: Columbus, OHGENDER: MHEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)WEIGHT: 205 lb (92 kg)I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I typically do 8-10 weekend hikes per year, and have spent time over the past few years backpacking the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and canoeing the Canadian wilderness. I like to travel "in comfort", but I've shrunk to medium weight, and continue to work toward going lighter and longer. With all of my investment into these ventures, I expect my wife and I will continue to trek long after the kids are gone�
      INITIAL REPORT September 19, 2012
      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS
      Manufacturer: Gerber Legendary BladesYear of Manufacture: 2012Country of Manufacture: China Manufacturer's Website: http://www.gerbergear.comMSRP: USD $49.00
      SPECS

      ListedMeasuredWeight4.07 oz website3.4 oz packaging4.0 oz/113 gBlade Length3.18 in website3.33 in packaging3.2 in/81 mmClosed Length4.57 in website4.43 in packaging4.5 in/115 mmOverall Length7.75 in7.75 in/198mmWidthnot stated0.43 in/11 mm

      ITEM DESCRIPTION
      The Gerber Legendary Blades (also known as "Gerber Gear", or just "Gerber") Instant Knife is "tactically inspired' general purpose knife for the outdoors. The blade is made of 7Cr17Mo steel, which internet research suggests is a fairly standard Chinese alloy made with 0.7% carbon and 17% chromium. The handle of the knife is made of layered G-10 composite with a tactile finish for enhanced grip at a reduced weight. (Note that all photos in this report were taken on the background of a 1 in/2.54 cm square grid.)

      The knife itself is designed with Gerber's "Assisted Opening 2.0 Mechanism." This mechanism consists of a thumb stud (found on either side of the blade) and a spring which assists with opening the knife. These features make it simple to open the knife with one hand using mild pressure from the thumb. Once open, the blade locks in place and cannot be closed without depressing a button in the handle, the so-called "thumb plunge lock."

      There is a pocket clip on one side of the knife. Although Gerber does not state this design, the clip is positioned such that the knife can be worn on the right hip and opened easily with the right hand. If worn on the left hip, the knife would need to be flipped over in order to be opened.

      As shown in the photo, the Instant has a partially serrated edge at the base of the blade. The point of the blade has a "modified drop point." I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but the base of the blade is about 0.25 in/3.5 mm thick' near the top, this tapers rapidly to a fine point.

      INSTRUCTIONS and WARRANTY
      The packaging for the Instant indicates that warranty information can be found on the website. The website reads as follows:
      Gerber warrants to the consumer that this product will be free of defects, in material and workmanship for as long as you own the product. This warranty does not cover damage due to rust, accident, loss, improper use, abuse, negligence, or modification of or to any part of the product. Normal wear and tear is not covered under the warranty. If the product failed while being used as it was intended to be used, we will service under the warranty. At Gerber's option, defective product will be repaired, replaced, or substituted with a product of equal value.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS and TRYING IT OUT
      I The Gerber Instant seems like a solid general purpose knife. I played around with opening it one-handed, and I can confirm that it is easy to fully open with one hand. When clipped to my belt, I can pull it off my belt and open it without looking at it. Once extended, the blade lock is engaged and I do not feel there is any danger of the knife closing unexpectedly.
      I'm not that familiar with this type of knife, so I was a little concerned about injuring myself when trying to close it. The spring that is used in opening the knife does present a little resistance to closing, although this is small. When I push the button, the blade slides easily closed until it hits the resistance of the spring, which is at about the halfway point, as shown in the figure.

      I have found it easiest so far to use two hands carefully to close the knife, although I have also experimented with using one hand and closing the knife against a tree or a chair. This methods also is easy. Once closed, I also do not feel that the knife will open unless I push it.
      I took the knife with me on a 10-mile/16 km dayhike on the Wildcat Hollow trail in Gloucester Ohio. I clipped it on my belt on my right hip. As it turns out, it sat underneath the hip pad of my backpack, although I didn't really notice it there, which I though was a good indication that the knife is quite compact. When I stopped for lunch, I used the knife to open up some packages for lunch. It cut through foil and paper as if it were butter.

      EXPECTATIONS for the Delta Series kitchen items:
      I'm expecting that this knife will cut anything I put near it, which is why I intend to be quite careful with my fingers. However, I don't think I'll have any problems with it opening or closing unexpectedly, so I'm looking forward to using it as a major piece of utility gear on the trail.

      THE STORY SO FARImpressiveSharp, strong bladeEasy to open right-handedCompact knife fits easily in hand/li>ConcernsNot designed well for leftiesThis concludes my Iniital Report on the Gerber Instant Knife. Please check back in about 2 months for my Field Report on this Item.

      Thanks to Gerber Legendary Knives for continuing to provide their knives for testing, and to BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the chance to participate in the evaluation process.

      -larry kirschner

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2012
        Hi Larry,

        Sorry for the delay. Hopefully the FR editing will go more smoothly. :) Your html version looks good, pics are clear and your links worked fine. My edit, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.
        Jamie D.
        Gerber Instant Knife Monitor

        You - SPECS

        ## Edit - Please add the metric conversions for all the mfg measurements and weights. Our friends outside the USA will probably find that helpful when comparing your findings with what was listed.

        ## Comment – also you have the SPECS heading in bold but the rest of your headings aren't. Not sure if that was on purpose but thought I'd point it out.
        You – In INITIAL IMPRESSIONS and TRYING IT OUT

        I The Gerber Instant seems like a solid general purpose knife

        ##Edit – you have an extra "I" at the beginning of the this sentence
        You - This methods also is easy.

        ##Edit – method "is" also
        You - As it turns out, it sat underneath the hip pad of my backpack, although I didn't really notice it there, which I though was a good indication that the knife is quite compact.

        ##Edit – "thought"
        You – EXPECTATIONS for the Delta Series kitchen items:

        ##Edit – "Delta Series kitchen items:" Huh????
        You - Compact knife fits easily in hand/li>

        #Edit – weird little "/li" thing at the end of this sentence
        You - This concludes my Iniital Report on the Gerber Instant Knife. Please check back in about 2 months for my Field Report on this Item.

        Edit – "Initial" and "item"