IR- Hoo-rag - Andrea Murland

  • Andrea Murland
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hi Nancy,

      Here's my IR for the Hoo-rag. This one will be fun!

      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/8wruzoe

      Text:

      Hoo-rag
      Initial Report – September 2, 2012

      Tester Information:
      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 27
      Location: Elkford & Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)
      Head Circumference: 21.25 in (54 cm)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent two months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2 to 3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Hoo-rag
      Manufacturer’s URL: http://www.hoorag.com/
      Design Tested: Blue Vortex, Nu Blue, Brown Cloud Hoo
      Other Designs: Total of 44 patterns, plus custom designs available
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      MSRP: US $14.95
      Listed Weight: None
      Measured Weight: 31 g (1.1 oz)
      Measured Size: 48 cm (18.9 in) long x 24 cm (9.4 in) wide

      Description & Initial Impressions:
      The Hoo-rag is a tubular bandana made from a soft polyester microfiber. It is intended to be worn in a variety of styles, depending on the need of the wearer at the time. The Hoo-rag is seamless, with no hem on the edges and no stitched seam connecting the fabric into a tube. I can visually see where the fabric is connected lengthwise on both sides; there is a crease in the fabric and the pattern doesn’t quite line up. I can feel the connection as a crease, but not on the inside of the Hoo-rag. The Hoo-rag has very little stretch length-wise, but stretches a lot width-wise; I’d guess it stretches to about twice its original width. It springs back to the original shape, but I’ll keep an eye out for permanent stretching as I test. The fabric is soft and smooth, with no loose threads or other imperfections.

      The Hoo-rag came nicely packaged in a cellophane wrapper with a label on the front. The label detailed the care instructions (machine wash warm, hang to dry), and on the back of the label were a series of pictures and small text showing the different ways the Hoo-rag can be worn. Unfortunately, these images, viewed from the back of the package, were backwards, which made for challenging reading. The Hoo-rag website has a video showing some of the styles, and I’m pretty sure I can figure most of them out.

      Trying It Out:

      I promptly started fiddling with my Blue Vortex Hoo-rag when I got it out of the packaging. I tried is as a beanie (a toque for the rest of this review), and found that it was easy to get on and comfortable. If anything, it’s a little big for me, as I have a very small head. I also folded it up as an Alice Rag, and found it to be a bit bulky behind my ears but otherwise fine. I wore the Alice Rag style around the house for a while and it was comfortable enough that I forgot I was wearing it.

      Thanks to Hoo-rag and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test this bandana! Check back in approximately 4 months (January 2013) for my Long-Term Report to see my experiences with it.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
        Hi Andrea,

        Nice report!  I agree that this will be fun.  I'm enjoying just reading about them.

        I don't have any edits so go ahead and upload when ready and delete the test file.

        See you in 4 months!

        Nancy

      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
          Hi Andrea,

          Sorry for missing this on the first go-round, but one quick edit for you.  Darn spell-checker ;-)

          Nancy

          >>I tried is as a beanie

          EDIT: 'is' should be 'it'

        • ringrat55