LTR- Aqua Vessel Tritan Filter Water Bottle - Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2012
      Greetings Brett,
      Here is my LTR on the above.
      Copy found here in test folder: http://tinyurl.com/8p6qsk8
      Look forward to your edits.
      Best
      Ralph

      Long Term Report
      It has been announced at the end of our winter that this has been our
      4th driest winter on record. Winter is when the South West of Western
      Australia receives its bulk of rain fall. Needless to say our rainfall
      average was way down to around half. We received 262.6 mm (10.3 in)
      instead of the long term average of 478.7 mm (18.8 in). This meant that
      wild water was very hard to source when out bushwalking.
      The usual gullies and creeks were damp from recent rains but contained
      no surface water that could be harvested.
      I did manage to find some at the foothill of Mt. Cuthbert where I had a
      number of day walks during this testing period. It was not running
      water, just a pool of about 50 cm (20 in) deep that extended for around
      70 cm (27.5 in) in diameter. It did not have that stagnant look about
      it. Water was seeping into the pool from the ground around it. I sourced
      all of my wild water from this spot on the three walks that I did in the
      area. As the wild water supply was bit iffy, I also carried scheme water
      from home. I topped the bottle up at Monadnocks Hut where two rainwater
      tanks are located. One of the tanks was dry, the other, shown in the
      photo below, about ¼ full.
      Monadnocks Hut

      Monadnocks Hut

      As we were in a group situation, we did not tarry long when I collected
      the water, so no photo exists of me collecting it. The photo taken at
      the hut was when we stopped for lunch.

      I had to be careful when laying my pack down to ensure that the bottle
      was upright as the seal (O Ring) around the cap leaks. I made mention of
      it in the Field Report. It is of a very poor standard.

      Additionally, I have learnt not to tip the bottle up with the base
      pointing towards the sky when drinking as water squirts out from the air
      hole in the cap. It was a habit that took a little while to break.

      As a test after the second outing, I left the water in the bottle at
      home for a week and took a sip daily to see if I got sick or if there
      was any change in taste. I am happy to report that I did not get ill,
      nor did I notice any change in taste from the filter. I even tipped a
      bit of water from the bottle (unfiltered) into the dog's bowl for him to
      try out. Did not turn a hair. I guess the wild water was quite safe and
      that the filter did its job.
      The only overnighter that I was able to do was in an area that was sandy
      where wild water soaked into the ground so I was reliant on tank water.
      I did not boil the water from the tank. I just filled the bottle and
      drank from it through the filter. I suffered no ill effects.

      Summary
      It is hard to clarify how effective the filter was because I did not
      suffer any tummy troubles from drinking water that had been passed
      through the filter. Overall, I drank around 10 litres of water in this
      testing phase using the filter.
      The filter seemed to suffer no damage from being immersed in water for a
      week. Although it is a sealed unit I shone a light into both ends and
      everything appeared fine. The only sign of scunginess is in the tube
      where it joins onto the filter. It only extends for about 4 mm (0.15 in)
      up the tube. It was easily cleaned off using a cotton bud.
      scunginess
      in tube

      scunginess in tube
      I would recommend that the manufacturer consider some sort of protection
      on the outflow end of the filter such as an O Ring sitting in a groove
      or a rubberized cap to protect the inside of the water bottle from being
      scratched from the rolling around of the filter when being carried over
      uneven ground. My bottle has a very marked circle from the rubbing of
      the top of the filter. Consideration should also be given to checking
      the quality control at the Chinese end of the production to prevent a
      repeat of the faulty O ring inside the cap which I have put up with.
      As a filter system, it appears to work well because I did not get ill.
      The Thumbs Up/Down remain unchanged from my Field report.
      Thanks to Eco Vessel for making this item available to test and
      BackPackGearTest being the vehicle in securing the item and passing onto
      testers.
      This concludes my test series of reports.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 7:02 AM
        Ralph, As usual, your report is clear and easily read. Your picture of the grime is great at illustrating your findings. I could only find one item that needs to be addressed, which follows. You can go ahead and upload the file when you are ready. Don't forget to delete the file from the test folder. Happy trails! <snip>

        Thanks to Eco
        Vessel for making this item available to test and BackPackGearTest being the
        vehicle in securing the item and passing onto testers.

        EDIT: Please change to �BackpackGearTest.org�

      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 7:07 AM
          Oops... forgot EDIT in the subject line...

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2 4:21 PM
            Thanks Brett for the quick edit.
            See you later on another test.
            Cheers