Application: Gerber Instant Knife - askLarry

  • laurence kirschner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2012
      Andrea and Ralph-
      Please consider my application to test the Gerber Instant Knife. I have read Chapter Five
      of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide version 0609, and, as always, I will
      follow all requirements.

      Biographical Information

      Name: Larry Kirschner

      Age: 48 (it�s still 2012, right?)

      Gender: M

      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)

      Weight: 202 lb (88 kg) and steady at present

      Email address: asklarry98 at hotmail dotcom

      City, State, Country: Columbus, Ohio USA

      Backpacking Background

      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but since we got
      involved with Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I typically do 8-10
      weekend hikes per year, plus one longer trip of 9-10 days. I have spent time
      over the past few years backpacking in Cimarron,
      New Mexico canoeing the Canadian wilderness,
      and camping out in the Florida Keys. I like to
      travel "in comfort", but I�m working towards going lighter and longer.
      With all of my investment into these ventures, I expect my wife and I will
      continue to trek long after the kids are gone.

      Test plan

      Over
      the next couple of months, I will be out camping and backpacking about 1
      weekend per months, with some extra dayhikes thrown in for good measure. I can�t
      say that I�m going to get a boatload of hardcore backpacking done, so please
      take this into consideration when selecting testers.

      While
      out camping and backpacking, I�ll be looking for general effectiveness of the
      knife. I typically use a knife like this for general usage whenever needed.
      Tasks that come to mind are things like opening food, cutting rope, stripping
      branches for a fire lay, and so on. Obviously, sharpness and weight are
      important factors. I�m also keen to try Gerber�s one-hand system for
      opening/closing the knife. I want to see if I can do this while maintaining all
      my digits.

      For
      the next couple of months, here are my plans:

      September:
      I�ll be spending a weekend camping and rapelling in Newark, Ohio. This will
      involve some backpacking out to the base camp, probably about 1/2 mile each
      way. I�m also expecting to do about a 5-10 mile dayhike with a pack

      October:
      A weekend backpacking trip in Southern Ohio, 10-15 miles over the weekend.

      November:
      Another weekend camping in Newark, also with 2-3 miles of backpacking into
      camp.

      December:
      Staying warm

      January:
      Plans are sketchy, but will probably involve a cold-weather trip with a few
      miles of backpacking and camping somewhere in Southern Ohio.

      February
      and beyond: Will depend on the weather.

      Depending
      on the timing of the test, I figure 8-10 nights of camping, including one 10-15
      mile backpacking trip and a few 3-5 mile trips. For a piece of equipment like a
      knife, I�m not sure that backpacking usage is that different from camping
      usage, but I�ll leave that to Andrea�s discretion.

      Previously
      Written Reports can be found at

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/askLarry

      You can also check my Tester page at http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1649.htm

      CURRENT TESTS

      None

      TESTS
      YOU ARE MONITORING

      tasc Performance Level A Short Sleeve Base Layer

      Exxel
      Outdoors Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent

      OTHER PENDING APPLICATIONS

      None at the moment, but I�ll probably go in for the jerky test as well.

      OTHER
      STUFF

      Currently
      mentoring: Brian Martel (but bot making much progress at present)

      Number of owner reviews completed in
      last year: 1, I think

      Thank
      you for considering this application and thanks to Gerber for providing another
      awesome knife for testing

      -larry
      Kirschner