TEST CALL - Nemo tent

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2012
      Starting the post-OR Show lineup with a hot tent from Nemo Equipment – the Obi 2P.

      Info: http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-obi2p-tent

      Information: Three report test, US shipping included, Newbie Limit DOES Apply, Richard is the Mod; call closes at midnight PDT (GMT-7) Wednesday August 29; include "Nemo Obi Tent" in the subject line.

      Please keep your application short and to the point. Include the opening disclaimer for testing; your ABRIDGED bio; a short statement of when and where you will use the bag; a link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page); the number of Owner Reviews posted in the past year; a list of what you are already testing, with status (e g, FR stage, awaiting delivery) for each; and any other pending applications.

      In addition to posting to the list, PLEASE SEND MY A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION DIRECTLY, to Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com.

      Good luck to all, Richard
    • RyanC
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2012
        WOOHOO!!!! Nemo is new to BGT; this tent was on my wishlist of items to test. Looks like the OR team scored well! Can't wait to see what else they were able to do.

        Hopefully there will be numerous quality apps for this and other future gear. A sizeable number of apps and quality reports will effectively demonstrate to the companies who entrust us with their gear, especailly those new to BGT, what a valuable service our testers provide the company and their customers.

        Ryan
      • Lori Pontious
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 23, 2012
          Please accept my application to review the Nemo Obi. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

          Name: Lori Pontious
          Age: 45
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
          Weight: 163 (74 kg)
          email address: lori.pontious at gmail.com
          location: Fresno County, California, USA

          I have been dayhiking/backpacking in California since 2006, mostly in the Sierra Nevada, in the coastal ranges in winter, and into low elevation parks such as Henry Coe. I have been out at least monthly, several times a month in spring and summer, and usually carry a lightweight pack.

          Test Plan: I have backpacking plans that extend into January that a three season tent would be suitable for - my usual winter activities shift to the coast, where it can rain but not snow heavily. I'd like to return to Ohlone or Point Reyes, and have plans to do some more Ventana Wilderness adventuring. I may also return to Sespe Wilderness in search of the Sespe Hot Springs, if the roads are open. Since these are places that the hammock sometimes doesn't work, taking a waterproof tent is called for. I'd anticipate that the waterproofness of it will get at least one good test - Point Reyes in winter was where three out of the six tents in my group leaked one night in a sustained rainstorm. Ease of setup, roominess, and durability are what I'd be looking for - a busted pole or a complicated setup in the rain isn't too much fun. I'm curious to know if the Pawprint as well as the footprint and gear loft will be provided. It sounds like an interesting addition to a tent.

          My thanks to Nemo and Backpack Gear Test for their consideration.

          Current tests: Big Agnes Q-Core Sleeping Pad (Field Report due Sept 3), Clif Kit Bars (in Field testing), Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent (Field testing, for car camping only), Suisse Sport K2 Sleeping Bag

          Test status page at http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1883.htm

          ORs in last year: 3

          Other test applications: none at this time

          BGT involvement: monitor

        • Nancy Griffith
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
            Hi Richard,

            I'm BIP and getting caught up with my e-mails and saw the call for this tent.
            Please consider my application to test the Nemo Obi tent. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

            Tester information:
            · Nancy Griffith
            · 46
            · Female
            · 5’6” (1.68 m)
            · 130 lb (59 kg)
            · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
            · Northern California, USA

            Backpacking background:
            I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

            Test plan or strategy:
            I am intrigued by the Obi 2P since I always backpack with my husband and we love having two doors (and two vestibules).  The D door shape is new to me and looks good for keeping the door out of the way.  I'm interested in how easy it is to get in and out with the fly on.  The ventilation is a huge factor and the large cut-out idea looks smart for allowing air flow.  Our current tent has issues with condensation even with the vestibule open.  Lastly the option to set up with the fly and ground sheet only has appealed to me and given some nice fall nights, I'd be glad to try it.  I even like the dry bag top on the stuff sack idea.

            Test Conditions:
            Generally we backpack once per month.  Trips this fall and winter will likely be 1-3 nights at a time so I'll have no trouble meeting the minimum 5 overnight requirement. Most of my backpacking trips will be in the Sierra Nevada (fall = possible rain, winter = snow pack) with winter trips also to the coast (rain).  We use a 3 season tent for snow camping and I plan to do the same with this one.

            Backpacking (one trip per month): Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 10,000 ft (600 – 3,000m) & 20 to 70 F (-6 to 21 C); Coastal, 0 to 2,000 ft (0 to 600 m) & 30 to 60 F (-1 to 15 C)

            Day Hiking: Sierra Nevada, 1,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m); 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C)

            My current tests are (3):
            Swedish Fire Knife - LTR due 9/18
            Garmont Trail shoes - LTR due 10/16
            REI Endeavor pants - FR due 9/4

            I have written 7 OR's (5 for brownie points) this year.
            My reviews can be viewed at:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

            I have no other apps pending.

            Labors of Love: Test Moderator, Monitor

            Thank you for considering my application.

            Nancy

          • richardglyon@att.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2012
              Closes tomorrow (Wednesday) at midnight PDT. Applications so far from Ray Estrella, Erin Foudy, Andrei Girenkov, Nancy Griffith, Alex Legg, Lori Pontious, Mark Thompson. Let me know ASAP if I missed you - and please heed the request in solid caps below to send me a copy off-list as well as posting here.

              Thanks, Richard

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon@..." <montana.angler@...> wrote:

              > Starting the post-OR Show lineup with a hot tent from Nemo Equipment – the Obi 2P.
              >
              > Info: http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-obi2p-tent
              >
              > Information: Three report test, US shipping included, Newbie Limit DOES Apply, Richard is the Mod; call closes at midnight PDT (GMT-7) Wednesday August 29; include "Nemo Obi Tent" in the subject line.
              >
              > Please keep your application short and to the point. Include the opening disclaimer for testing; your ABRIDGED bio; a short statement of when and where you will use the bag; a link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page); the number of Owner Reviews posted in the past year; a list of what you are already testing, with status (e g, FR stage, awaiting delivery) for each; and any other pending applications.
              >
              > In addition to posting to the list, PLEASE SEND MY A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION DIRECTLY, to Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com.
              >
              > Good luck to all, Richard

            • Nancy Griffith
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2012
                Hi Richard,
                 Please consider my application to test the 180 Tack wood stove. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

                Tester information:
                · Nancy Griffith
                · 46
                · Female
                · 5’6” (1.68 m)
                · 130 lb (59 kg)
                · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
                · Northern California, USA

                Backpacking background:
                I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

                Test plan or strategy:
                I have yet to try a wood-burning backpacking stove so I'm interested in seeing what they're all about.  Although there are fire restrictions in California in the summer, they are soon to lift.  I especially want to see how dirty my pot gets, how annoying it is to pack a dirty stove/pot, how quickly it boils water and how much of a hassle it is to find fuel and build a fire for a hot drink (typically I love building fires).  I would use the stove for our fall trips (except the one in Desolation Wilderness where NO fires are ever allowed) and into winter for snowshoe dayhikes and overnighters.

                Test Conditions:
                Generally we backpack once per month.  Trips this fall and winter will likely be 1-3 nights at a time so I'll have no trouble meeting the minimum 5 overnight requirement. Most of my backpacking trips will be in the Sierra Nevada (fall = possible rain, winter = snow pack) with winter trips also to the coast (rain).

                Backpacking (one trip per month): Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 10,000 ft (600 – 3,000m) & 20 to 70 F (-6 to 21 C); Coastal, 0 to 2,000 ft (0 to 600 m) & 30 to 60 F (-1 to 15 C)

                Day Hiking: Sierra Nevada, 1,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m); 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C)

                My current tests are (3):
                Garmont Trail shoes - LTR due 10/16
                REI Endeavor pants - LTR due 11/6
                NEMO Obi tent - FR due date not yet set

                I have written 7 OR's (5 for brownie points) in the past 12 months.
                My reviews can be viewed at:
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

                I have no other apps pending but plan to apply for the Acli-mate drink.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2012
                  Hi Andrea,

                  Please consider my application to test the Acli-Mate Drink. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

                  Tester information:
                  · Nancy Griffith
                  · 46
                  · Female
                  · 5’6” (1.68 m)
                  · 130 lb (59 kg)
                  · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
                  · Northern California, USA

                  Backpacking background:
                  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

                  Test plan or strategy:
                  I don't believe that I've ever technically had AMS (but have been involved in a study on it) but I have a tendency towards migraines which have a lot of the same symptoms (severe headache, nausea, vomiting).  Migraines can be triggered by altitude, exertion, sun, dehydration and overheating.  Since these are all present while backpacking, I have learned to take precautions to minimize them one of which is electrolye beverages.  I've tried many options and am intrigued with this one.  I won't be at the highest elevations due to the onset of winter but we spend most of the winter snowshoeing around 6,000 - 7,000 feet and should get in several fall trips up to 8,000 feet before the snow flies.  I would monitor how I feel and any value gained from the drink not to mention its taste and ease of mixing.

                  Test Conditions:
                  Generally we backpack once per month.  Trips this fall and winter will likely be 1-3 nights at a time so I'll have no trouble meeting the minimum 5 overnight requirement. Most of my backpacking trips will be in the Sierra Nevada (fall = possible rain, winter = snow pack) with winter trips also to the coast (rain).  I would try to get a hike in to summit a 10,000 foot peak if the weather conditions cooperate.

                  Backpacking (one trip per month): Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400m) & 20 to 70 F (-6 to 21 C); Coastal, 0 to 2,000 ft (0 to 600 m) & 30 to 60 F (-1 to 15 C)

                  Day Hiking: Sierra Nevada, 1,000 to 10,000 ft (600 – 3,000 m); 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C)

                  My current tests are (3):
                  Garmont Trail shoes - LTR due 10/16
                  REI Endeavor pants - LTR due 11/6
                  NEMO Obi tent - FR due date not yet set

                  I have written 7 OR's (5 for brownie points) in the past 12 months.
                  My reviews can be viewed at:
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

                  I have one other app pending for the 180 tack stove.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                    Hi Brett,

                    Please consider my application to test the Honey Stinger Organic Gel and Blueberry Buzz Bar. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

                    Tester information:
                    · Nancy Griffith
                    · 46
                    · Female
                    · 5’6” (1.68 m)
                    · 130 lb (59 kg)
                    · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
                    · Northern California, USA

                    Backpacking background:
                    I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

                    Test plan or strategy:
                    I am always on the search for new trail food ideas and haven't yet tried Honey Stinger.  I get sick of the same old thing and like to try items that may provide more calories, more energy, or more interest to my trail diet.  I like gels and bars but find that gels usually contain caffeine which I try to avoid.  So I was happy to see that none of these contain any caffeine.  I also like that the Blueberry 'Buzz' bar also contains no caffeine despite the name.  I especially appreciate that the ingredients are wholesome things I can identify versus the chemical listing that I see on some products.  I would be looking for how much energy they provide, how tasty they are, how well they pack and how they do when frozen (and unfrozen) in winter conditions.

                    Test Conditions:
                    Generally we backpack once per month.  Trips this fall and winter will likely be 1-2 nights at a time so I'll have no trouble meeting the minimum 5 overnight requirement. Most of my backpacking trips will be in the Sierra Nevada (fall = possible rain, winter = snow pack) with a trip to the coast (rain).  We have one firm 3-day trip to coast planned at the end of November.  Day trips will be hiking at lower elevations and snowshoeing at higher elevations.

                    Backpacking (one trip per month): Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400m) & 20 to 70 F (-6 to 21 C); Coastal (one trip): 0 to 2,000 ft (0 to 600 m) & 30 to 60 F (-1 to 15 C)

                    Day Hiking/Snowshoeing: Sierra Nevada, 1,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m); 20 to 70 F (-6 to 21 C)

                    My current tests are (3):
                    NEMO Obi tent - FR due 12/4
                    Acli-Mate drink - LTR due 3/5
                    180 tack stove - FR due 1/8

                    I have written 5 OR's (for brownie points) in the past 12 months.