IR - Clif Kits bars - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012
      Hello Andrew,

      Here is the IR for the Kit's bars. The HTML may be found here:

      http://tinyurl.com/9hm737g

      Text below. I leave for CA in 5 days so would like to get this done before I leave please.

      Thanks,

      Ray

      Clif Kit's Organic Fruit & Nut Bars
      Test Series by Raymond Estrella
      INITIAL REPORT

      INITIAL REPORT - August 08, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: North Western Minnesota, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, Minnesota, and many western states. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly ultralight, I try to be as light as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot evening meals. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or my twin children.

      INITIAL REPORT
      The Product

      Manufacturer: Clif Bar & Company
      Web site: www.clifbar.com
      Product: Kit's Organic
      Year manufactured: 2012
      MSRP: N/A
      Rough Size (not uniform): 3.25 x 1.25 x 0.6 in (8.3 x 3.2 x 1.5 cm)
      Weights listed
      Berry Almond: 1.73 oz (49 g)
      Cashew: 1.62 oz (46 g)
      Chocolate Almond Coconut: 1.69 oz (48 g)
      Peanut Butter: 1.76 oz (50 g)
      Actual weights vary on every bar by minus 1 g to plus 3 g (-0.04 to +0.11 oz). (10 bars weighed.)

      Product Description

      The Clif Kit's Organic fruit & nut bars are the latest offering from the company famous for their original Clif bar. Known for using organically grown ingredients, raw where possible, and using complex carbohydrate sweeteners (when needed) instead of sugar they have fit right into the way I like to eat, both at home and on the trail. So I was pretty happy to get to be one of the testers chosen to let Clif put their money where my mouth is. ;-)

      The Kit's Organic bars are truly basic bars with no extra ingredients. They all share a common base of dates, almonds and see salt, with one or two additional ingredients depending on the flavor.

      Dates are the main ingredient and really is the star of the show as far as I am concerned. The dates give the bars a moist soft texture that is easy to chew. It keeps the bars from being crumbly as may be seen in the picture above. That is the Peanut Butter flavor that I broke in half. While there is a lot of great stuff in dates one aspect makes it shine for my backpacking use. It is very high in potassium, a key electrolyte that needs replacing during hard and hot activity, and the one that helps the most for avoiding muscle cramps.

      As may be seen the other ingredients are there in abundance too. The bars are densly packed with the good stuff.

      Here is the nutritional information from the Clif Bar web site. The ingredients are listed below each.

      Berry

      Organic Dates, Organic Almonds, Organic Barberries, Organic Bilberries, Sea Salt.

      Cashew

      Organic Dates, Organic Cashews, Organic Almonds, Sea Salt.

      Chocolate Almond Coconut

      Organic Dates, Organic Almonds, Organic Unsweetened Chocolate, Organic Coconut, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Sea Salt.

      Peanut Butter

      Organic Dates, Organic Peanuts, Organic Almonds, Sea Salt.

      A few things draw my attention just looking at the nutritional info. As expected the Peanut Butter and Chocolate flavors have higher calorie counts and fat levels with the oils in them. To me that says, "Breakfast" as I like to have the higher fat bars in the morning when they can burn throughout the day.

      The Berry flavor I expected to have a lower calorie count but higher carbs from the extra fruit, which it does. I prefer higher carbohydrate foods as I hike along the trail during the day. It is interesting that the berries used are bilberries and barberries. Bilberries are from Central and Northern Europe and look like (but are not!) blueberries. Barberries are most commonly found in the Middle East and are referred to as Zereshk in their dried state. I would love to know more about how they are used in these bars. They are said to have a tart flavor so my taste buds shall be looking for it.

      I really don't understand the nutritional information numbers for the Cashew flavor. To me they should be higher across the board as cashews have a lot of natural fats and protein. Oh well, I love cashews so I will just look forward to eating them, not worrying about their numbers.

      That does it for the Initial Report. Time to get these out on the trail, but if you will please come back in a few months I will tell you how the Kit's Organics did in the field, plus give my thoughts on the individual flavors. My hearty thanks to Clif and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to partake.