FR - Ahnu Mendocino Boots - DW

  • Dave Wyman
      http://tinyurl.com/FR-Ahnu-DW

      TEXT:

      Field Report - August 3, 2012

      Trips Taken
      May: One overnight trip in the Laurel Highlands/Ohiopyle area of
      Pennsylvania. The trip covered about 6 to 8 miles (9.5 to 13 km) with
      temps ranging from the mid 40s F to upper 60s F (7 to 20 C)

      June: Eight days of hiking in Colorado, including one two-night trip and
      a single one-night trip, all around Estes Park, Colorado. Did around 40
      miles (64 km) overall in temps from 50 F to 85 F (10 to 30 C)

      July: One overnight trip in Raccoon Creek state park in Pennsylvania.
      Covered close to 14 miles (22 km) in mostly dry (with one short but
      heavy downpour) and hot weather - the temperature while hiking was
      usually in the 90s F (30s C)

      Thoughts and Impressions

      For the most part, I've been very pleased with how well the Ahnu boots
      are performing. I've put a decent number of miles on them and they're
      still holding up well.

      Waterproof: The boots have done a great job at protecting my feet from
      water. Most of the hikes I was on were in fairly dry weather but one of
      the hikes had an incredibly heavy rain storm come through. The rain
      storm lasted for 10 minutes but dumped a huge amount of water. My pants
      were rolled down and covered the tops of the boots and the eVent liner
      inside the boots kept all of the water out. The rest of the hike was
      over some very muddy trails with quite a few flooded sections. The tops
      of the boots were high enough that all but the deepest puddles were no
      problem to walk through.

      Breathability: The boots did an average job at keeping my feet from
      getting too damp from sweat. Shorter hikes seemed to be ok - anything
      under 2 miles (3 km) or so and the boots seemed to keep the moisture
      build up down. Longer hikes didn't fare as well - every single one of
      them had my feet ending up fairly damp.

      Comfort: The boots were excellent at keeping my feet comfortable while
      hiking. I'm used to hiking with heavier boots, so my legs were happier
      to have these lighter weight ones. The cushioning worked fine on both
      flat trails and on some of the more serious mountain hikes out in
      Colorado.

      Quality: Even after more than 60 miles (100 km) of hiking, the boots are
      only showing basic wear. The tread is very slightly worn and the sides
      and the toe of the boot are scuffed and have a few scratches. The
      insoles haven't shown any wear yet and are still comfortable to walk on.

      Overall: I'm very happy that these boots are so comfortable to hike in
      and that they're still holding up. I am looking forward to a few more
      months of testing to see how they do over the long term.

      Summary

      Likes
      Nice contrast between classic upper and aggressive lower
      Easiest footwear I've ever broken in
      Very waterproof
      Very comfortable, even on long trips
      Dislikes
      Not as breathable as I would have hoped

      Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Ahnu for this opportunity. Check back
      in two months for the long term report.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012
        Hello Dave,

        Well, it does not happen often but I couldn’t find an edit.

        Just a comment: How did they perform on slippery terrain, rock hopping and going downhill? Did the boots grip well or did they slip and give you a fright?

        Did the tread get clogged up with mud/

        Don’t forget to delete the test copy when you upload.

        See you in two months.

        Enjoy.

        Best

        Ralph,_._,___

      • Dave Wyman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012
          Thanks Ralph.

          I added in a section on the tread and uploaded it. See you in a few
          months!