IR - Titan 65 - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2012
      Here is my IR for the Titan 65 backpack, the HTML can be found here:
       http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Titan%2065%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      Thanks for taking the time to edit.

      TITAN 65 BACKPACK - Test Series By Theresa Lawrence
      IR

      July 28, 2012

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Specifications

      Manufacturer: High Sierra Sport Company
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website:http://hssc.com
      MSRP: US$ not given
      Listed Weight: 5.62 lb (2.54 kg)
      Measured Weight: 5 lb (2.27kg)
      Capacity: 65 L
      Colour Tested: Pacific/ Nebula/ Ash/ Charcoal
      Other Colours Available: Cliff/ Rock/ Auburn/ Charcoal and Amazon/ Pine/ Leaf/ Charcoal
      One Size: Regular 14 - 20 in (35.6 - 51 cm) torso, 30 in (76 cm) and up waist
      Warranty: lifetime waranty against defects under normal use

      Product Description

      The Titan 65 is an internal frame pack intended for either weekend warriors or experienced mountaineers. It has an outstanding number of convenient features, which I shall describe here. The main body and the bottom are made with mini-diamond ripstop/ Duralite nylon and 840 denier nylon respectively. The main top-loading compartment is 55 L and the lid and pockets make up the extra 10 L. The main compartment closes with a gusseted drawstring and the lid is adjustable, but not removable. The titan features an adjustable S-shaped ERGO-FIT shoulder strap harness and a high-density foam padded back panel with large AIRFLOW channels with a contoured internal frame meant to keep the back comfortable, cool and dry.

      There is a front-loading sleeping bag compartment with divider to the main compartment which can be unzipped from either side. Also, a hinged pocket sits on the front with gusseted sides, which the manufacturer suggests can hold a rope or other gear. On the front of this pocket is another zippered front pocket with convenient daisy chains. A removable media pocket attaches to one of the shoulder straps. Another zippered pocket lies underneath the lid. There are also two ice axe loops and likewise two hook-and-loop lashings to keep ice axes or poles in place. There is also a reservoir hydration sleeve with dual exit ports as well as dual mesh pockets on either side of the pack for 1 L water bottles. Compression straps are located on both the bottom and sides. Two zippered pockets sit on either side of the padded waist belt for quick to reach items. And lastly there is a rain cover tucked conveniently into a bottom pocket.

      Reading The Instructions

      The tags attached to the Titan 65 explained in exceptionally great detail how to adjust the ERGOFIT shoulder straps, torso, waist belt and sternum straps to fit my size. Detailed diagrams and instructions showed where the weight should sit and even how to pack items depending on the type of load being carried and terrain encountered. Cleaning instructions were also provided, which included using warm water and mild detergent to spot clean or to submerge fully in a tub, rinsing with water and hanging to dry. And my favourite, sewn on to the underneath of the lid pocket is a cute list of  "12 survival essentials". In theory I should never leave behind any essentials lest I forget to look at this list that I cannot forget to take.

      Impressions

      The Titan 65 arrived packaged in a box. Upon opening, I was dazzled by its blue colour and all its bells and whistles (though actually no whistles or bells, ironically not even a sternum strap whistle, but that is about all it didn't have). The pack displayed a myriad of features contributing to its 5+ lbs (2.2+ kg), which felt heavy for a pack. There was much to be impressed by, which negated the extra weight. Specifically, the side pockets for water, rain cover, pockets on the belt and front pocket just to name a few. I am very curious about the AIRFLOW channels and if they will keep my back cool and dry, I have yet to experience a pack that could do this. I am also looking forward to seeing if I can fit a climbing rope into the hinged front pocket, a suggested use by the manufacturer.

      The grab handles on both sides of the pack seem a bit overkill as there are ample straps, etc. that one can grab onto. I feel these beefy handles just add weight and I'm not entirely sure why I would need such specialized handles, perhaps for travel in the airport ... I do like the media pocket on the shoulder strap, which can be removed. While it's likely meant for a mobile phone suggested by its shape, it appears to be a perfect fit for my personal locater beacon, which would place it in a highly convenient spot. And because it's removable I can then strap it to a summit pack, when I'm not using the Titan on mountaineering trips.

      Taking a closer look at the craftsmanship, I noted several loose threads and questionable stitching (photos below), which I'll keep my eye on.  Otherwise, quality appears heavy duty with beefy zippers, buckles and straps. I have some concerns with the durability of the gusseted mesh on the hinged front pocket and the mesh water bottle pockets based on previous experience with mesh ripping very easily.

      Trying the pack on, so far appears quite comfortable and adjusting the pack to my size was easy, especially with the help of the accompanying instructions. I am looking forward to seeing how this pack performs in the field.

       Summary

      The Titan 65 sports a lot of interesting features as described above. I am looking forward to taking this pack on a number of alpine backpacking trips in the South Canadian Rockies. I'll be looking out for usability and convience of  its unique features and of course comfort and durability. Please check back in a couple months to check out my impressions in the field.

      LIKES
      - Comfortable
      - Adjustable
      - Aesthetically appealing in colour and look
      - Conviently placed pockets (media pocket, hip belt pocket, hinge pocket, etc.)
      - Well placed compression straps
      - Sewn on survival list
      - Rain cover

      DISLIKES
      - Heavy
      - Hefty handles that appear unnecessary and add to weight
      - Loose threads (concerns about the stitching)
      - Concerns about durabiltiy of mesh material on gusseted hinged pocket and water bottle holders

      I give my sincere thank you to High Sierra and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to test this unique backpack.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2012
        > Here is my IR for the Titan 65 backpack, the HTML can be found here:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Titan%2065%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

        > Thanks for taking the time to edit.
        >

        > TITAN 65 BACKPACK - Test Series By Theresa Lawrence

        Hi Theresa...

        Thank you for your initial report on the High Sierra Titan 65 Backpack.
        Very descriptive report, with lots of nice pictures. Well done, Theresa!

        I just have a few minor edits for you to take a look at. When you have
        updated your report to your satisfaction, please upload to the official
        folder, and remember to delete the copy in the test folder.

        Thank you also for copying me directly. I was away for a funeral over the
        weekend and wouldn't have found it nearly as quickly if you hadn't.

        Thanks again!

        James E. Triplett
        High Sierra Titan 65 Backpack Monitor

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++
        TITAN 65 BACKPACK - Test Series By Theresa Lawrence
        [EDIT] You don't mention "High Sierra" anywhere except under manufacturer
        and in your thanks at the end. I would add it to the title: "HIGH SIERRA
        TITAN 65 BACKPACK".

        Listed Weight: 5.62 lb (2.54 kg)
        [Comment] This is a nit, and might have been the supplier's info... but I
        get 2.55 kg for the conversion.

        Warranty: lifetime waranty against defects under normal use
        [EDIT] You need two "r"s in the second "warranty"

        Product Description
        [Edit] I didn't see any mention of the "adjustable dual aluminum stays"
        in this section.

        There is also a reservoir hydration sleeve with dual exit ports as well as
        dual mesh pockets on either side of the pack for 1 L water bottles.
        [EDIT] I believe for the pack volume a conversion for liters isn't
        needed. But the 1 L bottle should have a conversion to fluid ounces.
        (33.8 or 34 oz)

        I'll be looking out for usability and convience of its unique features and
        of course comfort and durability.
        [EDIT] I believe you mean "convenience" rather than "convience"

        - Conviently placed pockets (media pocket, hip belt pocket, hinge pocket,
        etc.)
        [EDIT] "Conveniently"

        - Concerns about durabiltiy of mesh material on gusseted hinged pocket and
        water bottle holders
        [EDIT] "durability"

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
          Hi Theresa...

          I was editing Kerri's High Sierra Titan 65 Backpack report, and went back
          and looked at yours. I noticed that your first picture may be from High
          Sierra. If so, please
          credit them for the photograph.

          Thanks much!

          http://tinyurl.com/TITAN65REPORTS

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
            Thanks again for the edits, report is uploaded and test folder deleted...
            Cheers,
            Theresa