LTR: Big Agnes Passport Trekking Poles- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2012
      Hi Lori,

      I've posted my final installment for the Passport poles.  I believe that you have the GG Light Treks as do I (and I love them) but if you ever need something more stowable, these are fabulous.  I'm torn now between the two!  But these are going on the next backpacking trip because it'll be via airline.

      Thanks for reviewing it and providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/cg43q7t

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Rocky trail">>I used the Passport trekking poles on two multi-day trips and one day hike during the Long-Term Test period for an additional ten days of use.
      Backpacking Trips:
      Yosemite National Park, Sierra Nevada, California: 5 days; 37 mi (60 km); 4,200 to 9,400 ft (1,280 to 2,865 m); 45 to 75 F (7 to 24 C).
      Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada, California: 4 days; 13 mi (21 km); 6,327 to 6,700 (1,928 to 2,040 m); 40 to75 F (4 to 24 C).  This trip was a backpack into a base camp followed by day hiking, swimming, kayaking and fishing.
      Day Hikes:
      Auburn Recreation Area, California; 3.6 mi (6 km); 500 to 1,000 ft (150 to 300 m) elevation; 65 to 75 F (18 to 24 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mall bumpers">>The poles continued to be remarkably strong despite their very light weight and to perform similarly to the Field test period.  However, I did get to use them in a couple of new ways during this test period.
      For one, I used the rubber tips which my husband called 'mall bumpers' until he realized how well they worked.  On our Yosemite hike I started pushing the rubber tips on in areas which were primarily granite and removing them and putting them in my hipbelt pocket on less rocky stretches.  They gripped incredibly well and I ended up not taking them off unless the trail was soft dirt for a long stretch in which case the carbide tips worked better.  It was interesting to see (and hear) how everyone else's poles slipped on the granite while mine stuck like glue.
      After several days of this, I expected that the rubber tips would have significantly worn at least enough to remove the grid pattern but they seem to be in great condition.  The tips held in place and never got pulled off despite being jammed in between rocks.  One of my hiking partners even commented about this since she noticed how many times her poles got stuck in something.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "As tent stake">>I also used the poles for staking out my tent vestibule on multiple nights.  We had a nice breeze blowing for most of the day and evening so in order to take advantage of it, we staked the vestibule up higher by using the poles.  This allowed the breeze to flow better through the tent.  In order to do this, I pulled off the micro baskets and slipped the tip of the pole through the loop in the cord to pull out the vestibule.  I could adjust the location by sliding it up and down on the pole.  The baskets were fairly easy to remove with a twist and strong pull and very easy to re-install in the morning.
      My tent is able to be made free-standing by placing a trekking pole in either end but these poles were too short to be used for this.  It requires a minimum of 140 cm (55 in) length to work correctly.
      I haven't used the storage bag at all since I've been using the poles so frequently but I am happy to have it for winter storage when I'll be using heavier trekking poles with snow baskets for snowshoeing.  I like knowing that I can store the poles with the rubber tips separate and not lose them.
      The durability has been great.  There are a few scratches but nothing of any significance.  The locking mechanism works without fail.  The internal cords are perfectly intact.  The straps are probably a little dirty but show hardly any wear.  Overall they look surprisingly new considering all that they have been subjected to.

      SUMMARY

      The Big Agnes Helinox Passport poles are an extremely durable yet light weight pair of trekking poles.  Overall they are a very high quality product with an innovative design.
      My favorite things:
      Light weight
      Fold to short length - easy to stow
      Wrist strap is easy to adjust
      Tough!
      My not-so-favorite thing:
      Baskets are not interchangeable with any of my other poles
      This concludes my Long-Term Report and this test series.  Thanks to Big Agnes and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
        Hi Nancy,

        Finally, the heat has dropped below three digits and the internet let
        me on for a while!

        I see no edits in the LTR to be made - I like the pictures, even tho
        it's a little "where's Nancy" finding you in all that granite! I
        would probably like the poles, except I would have to save them for
        when I am not using one of the tents that rely on trekking poles for
        structure. I do love my Lightreks for that!

        Upload/delete and have a great summer - will probably be working with
        you again soon. :)

        Lori
      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2012
          Thanks Lori.  Got it uploaded and the test file deleted.

          Stay cool!

          Nancy