LTR: Dual Eyewear - Sunglasses - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2012
      James: my tale of woe with the Dual sunglasses is told in this location:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Duals%20-%20Kurt/#Long_Term_Report

      Or: http://tinyurl.com/7peq7xf

      My whining is laid out in plain text below:

      Long Term Report

      The week of April 30 I headed to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and from
      there to Lucerne, Switzerland. The Duals came along for the ride. I
      used them when driving, on the train in Switzerland, and during the
      occasional stroll.
      The photo at left shows the glasses in action on the shores of Lake
      Lucerne with Mount Pilatus in the background. I wish I could have
      gotten out and done a little hiking in the Alps, but that was not
      possible on this business trip.

      Busted Part Deux

      May 7, I put the Duals into my shirt pocket to walk out of the office
      and to my car. Snap! The left temple tips broke at precisely the
      same spot as the right ones. Fortunately when the first ones broke
      Customer Service sent me a complete set, so I have a spare. I'm
      thinking about not trying to wear these every single day as I have
      been, they just seem too fragile. Perhaps I should reserve them for
      bicycling and backpacking/hiking trips.

      Field Conditions
      Date
      Location
      Trail
      Distance

      Terrain/ trail type
      Weather
      Altitude range
      May 28, 2012 Coronado National Forest, Santa Catalina Mountains Finger Rock
      6 mi
      (9.7 km) Very steep high desert canyon Sunny, 62-84F (17-29 C), 7-15%
      RH 3100-5465 ft
      (945-1666 m)
      June 21-23, 2012 San Francisco Peaks in the Coconino National Forest
      near Flagstaff, Arizona Mt Humphreys
      25.6 mi
      (41.2 km) Forests to mountain peak tundra Sunny, 50-80 F
      (10-27 F) 8050-12562 ft
      (2450-3830 m)
      Finger Rock Trail

      This was a morning conditioning day hike up one of the most
      challenging canyons in the Tucson area. I was working hard enough on
      the ascent that sweat from my face was constantly dripping into and
      running down the glasses. This happens to me with every pair I have
      worn -- someday I hope a company will come up with a design or
      technology that actually prevents this. Other than that, the
      sunglasses worked just fine. I think I am finally getting used to the
      bifocals during descents, as it didn't seem to bother me quite as much
      on this hike despite the steep terrain.
      Busted for the Last Time?

      The day after my Finger Rock hike I was going to put on the Dual
      glasses to drive to dinner, and noticed an odd gap (see above photo).
      At first I thought maybe the screw came loose, but no, alas, they were
      busted again. I cannot imagine what I did to them on the hike - I
      never even had them in my pocket. They were either on my eyes, or
      placed up on my hat.

      After some correspondence with Customer Service I mailed them back to
      Dual for replacement. When they received the return, they e-mailed me
      and said the pair I sent back were the 2.5 diopter lens, would I like
      to replace with them with the same or the 1.5 that I specified? I was
      a bit puzzled because I was sure they were 1.5, but I thought they
      knew better than I did and asked them to please replace the glasses
      with the same model as I returned. When they arrived, I noticed
      immediately when I put them on that the lens was much stronger than
      the original pair. Sigh.
      Mt Humphreys

      This was a 3-day 2-night backpacking loop hike consisting of the
      Kachina, Mt Humphreys and Weatherford trails in the San Francisco
      Peaks, including a summit of Mt Humphreys. We were hiking at pretty
      good altitude, so a protective pair of sunglasses were very important
      to me on this trip.
      The photo at left shows the Duals in action on the Weatherford trail.
      About 2 hours earlier we were at the peak of the mountain in the
      background, where the glasses did a great job of protecting my eyes
      from the fierce sunlight at that altitude. I continue to like the
      tint and clarity of these glasses.
      On the way down the mountain the Dual lenses did not bother me as much
      as some prior hikes, despite the higher magnification. I think it is
      because the descent trail is an old roadbed, so it was a very gentle
      grade with few of the big "steps" that I am used to having to navigate
      in the canyons I often hike. I didn't have to focus so much on foot
      placement, so I was able to look up more out of the non-corrective
      part of the lenses.
      During the 5-hour drive home from the trail I wore the Duals in the
      car. Contrary to my prior experience, with the higher magnification
      the dashboard was too far away and was blurry when looking through the
      corrective lens. I certainly concur with the recommendation from the
      Dual website to go with under-correction when selecting the diopter.

      Summary

      I like the ability to see my watch, GPS or camera screen when on the
      trail with the Dual sunglasses, but I have lost all confidence in
      their durability. I cannot recommend them for backpacking purposes,
      end of story. When I am packing in the backcountry my sunglasses are
      an essential element of my kit, and I cannot afford to be unable to
      wear them due to breakage.
      I think the Dual glasses are an excellent choice when cycling and
      driving, and I will continue to use them for that purpose despite the
      lens correction being too strong with the replacement glasses.
      I do concur with the advice on their website to select a lens strength
      slightly lower than used for reading -- it makes a huge difference
      when staring at the ground, or even when looking at the dashboard of
      my car.
      Many thanks to Dual Eyewear and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test this product.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2012
        > James: my tale of woe with the Dual sunglasses is told in this location:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Duals%20-%20Kurt/#Long_Term_Report

        > Or: http://tinyurl.com/7peq7xf

        Hi Kurt...

        We used to have a saying around here... "We test the best and Break the
        rest". It sounds like the glasses fall into the second category. Thank
        you for your perseverance with customer service and following this test
        through to completion.

        I have a few minor edits for you below. Please adjust your report
        appropriately and upload it to the proper folder. Also please delete the
        copy in the test folder.

        Thanks again Kurt! On to bigger, or at lest better, things!

        James E. Triplett
        Dual Eyewear - Sunglass Monitor

        +++++++++++++++++++++

        Fortunately when the first ones broke Customer Service sent me a complete
        set, so I have a spare.
        [Edit] I'm seeing an extra space between "Fortunately" and "when".
        [Comment] I'm assuming you replaced the temple tip with one from the
        first pair, although you don't state that. You may want to add that, and
        if you're so inclined, tell a little about the "surgery" process.

        I think I am finally getting used to the bifocals during descents, as it
        didn't seem to bother me quite as much on this hike despite the steep
        terrain.
        [Comment] Kurt, Do you wear bifocals normally? Just an observation, but
        as a bifocal wearer myself, there is always a transition period when I get
        a new prescription (especially on stairs).

        I cannot recommend them for backpacking purposes, end of story.
        [Edit] I'm not sure if there is an official rule on this, but I believe
        the precedence has been set to not recommend for or against a product
        being tested. I suggest removing this line, and stick with stating your
        experiences (which you have done nicely) and let the reader come to their
        own conclusions.