Re: Let's talk about Gear Wishes

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
      water shoes (in the summer) last ones I applied for got canceled.

      barefoot shoes (I know, an oxymoron) but I mean like the New Balance Trail Zero or Merrell Trail Glove.

      anything hammock related.

      more wood burning stoves, backpack and car camping models. Im getting ready for the zombie apocalypse.

      anything wool, I'm finding I really like all kinds of wool and wool blends so pants, socks, shirts and hats.

      Coy Boy

      > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
      > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
      > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
      > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
      >
      > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
      > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
      > always ideal.
      >
      > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
      > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your input.
      >
      > Kathy

    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
        Low cut hiking shoes or trail runners or whatever you call them

        Wool hiking socks

        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
          I would like to see:

          Quilts from the cottage gear makers

          More solo tents or garland

          More stoves - whatever kind

          Wool socks, wool baselayers, wool shirts

          Sun protection items - topical, clothing, even umbrellas

          Hammock gear! Hammocks, suspension, tarps, guy lines, underquilts.....

          I would love to do shoes if the mfrs would wake up to their gender
          issues....

          Maybe some mountaineering items? Traction devices, starting around November?

          On Monday, July 2, 2012, Kathy Waters <kathy@...> wrote:

          > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
          > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
          > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down
          "backpacks"
          > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
          >
          > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
          > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
          > always ideal.
          >
          > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
          > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your input.
          >
          > Kathy

        • Lori Pontious
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
            I would like to see:

            Quilts from the cottage gear makers

            More solo tents

            More stoves - whatever kind

            Wool socks, wool baselayers, wool shirts

            Sun protection items - topical, clothing, even umbrellas

            Hammock gear! Hammocks, suspension, tarps, guy lines, underquilts.....

            I would love to do shoes if the mfrs would wake up to

            Maybe some mountaineering items? Traction devices, starting around November?

            On Monday, July 2, 2012, Kathy Waters <kathy@...> wrote:

            > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
            > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
            > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down
            "backpacks"
            > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
            >
            > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
            > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
            > always ideal.
            >
            > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
            > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your input.
            >
            > Kathy

          • Jamie D.
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
              Since we are international the timing of test shouldn't be that big of deal is it? If it is, maybe we need more southern hem. testers!

              jamie d

              > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
              > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
              > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
              > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
              >
              > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
              > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
              > always ideal.
              >
              > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
              > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for your input.
              >
              > Kathy

            • Kurt
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                I know you want specifics, but I am going to take a slightly different tack:

                1. Anything from Montbell. Anything. Whenever we do a montbell test call everyone starts salivating...

                2. Anything made from Cuben Fiber, especially tarps. I can't take out a second mortgage on my house to buy one of these dang things.

                3. An upper body garment that actually comes in a Tall size. A fleece from LL Bean would be good!

                4. I think we now have more BGT testers in Arizona than any other state. Us desert rats can always use more/better water carrying gear, like the Pack Tap we did this year. Maybe an MSR Dromedary? Something new from Camelback? I see Platy has adopted the Camelback right-angle mouthpiece on their new bladders, maybe oneathose.

                --Kurt
              • Nancy Griffith
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                  This is like making a Christmas list as a kid...yippee.

                  Down quilts (double-wide preferred :)
                  Down headwear, pants, booties (ok, not for this week's trip)
                  Trail runners
                  LIGHT WEIGHT water shoes
                  lightweight shorts
                  woodburning/alcohol/multi-fuel stoves
                  composite snowshoes
                  innovative sunglasses
                  innovative headlamps
                  high-altitude lighter (does one exist?)
                  lightweight insulated cup ideas
                  Bearikade Expedition
                  Camp Magic rain gear

                  Thanks for asking!

                  Nancy

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                    Kathy,

                    First, there are a BUNCH of things at the show that I am sure we have no
                    idea about, and you know I am usually game for innovative items. However,
                    if I had a short list of wants I would say the following:

                    Watches: specifically altimeter or gps ones. Something like:

                    http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/Outdoor_Sports_Instruments/suunto-ambit
                    /suunto-ambit-black-hr

                    GPS with SPOT messenger capabilities. I think there is an Android app for
                    that with one, but Delorme makes one that is integrated. Maybe:

                    http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31865
                    <http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31865§ion
                    =10820> §ion=10820 Yes, I would pay the subscription fee J

                    I love regular clothing: pants, shirts. Particularly 4-way stretch pants J

                    http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/102006810_v_7180_50/Runbold-Pants-Men.
                    html

                    Tarps and/or hammocks.

                    http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/spinntwinn-tarp.html

                    Boots. I know a bunch of tests are cancelled because of lack of interest,
                    but I love testing shoes and I prefer mid/high boots.

                    http://www.salewa.us/product/footwear/ms-rapace-gtx

                    Maybe not this summer, but next spring I'll be taking my kids backpacking
                    more so kid specific gear is always great.

                    https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/Porcupinejr

                    We hardly see rain pants. What gives?

                    http://www.rei.com/product/772615/sierra-designs-hurricane-hp-rain-pants-men

                    Solar Panels; goal zero, and even Wenger has some now.

                    http://www.goalzero.com/

                    I've seen a few "couples" sleeping bags. How about:
                    http://www.featheredfriends.com/ Now there is a great option for a new twist
                    on sleeping bags (aside from zipping together two).

                    You wouldn't want to see the long list, eh?

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                      I think Jerry is interested in car camping gear.

                      Big air mattresses
                      Big propane stoves (like coleman)
                      Kid & toddler gear, shoes, clothes, car camping gear, kid day packs, water
                      bottles

                      Jennifer

                      On Jul 2, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Kathy Waters <kathy@...>
                      wrote:

                      OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
                      want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
                      write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
                      since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.

                      Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
                      items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
                      always ideal.

                      I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
                      creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.

                      Thanks in advance for your input.

                    • Mike Pearl
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                        Thanks for asking!  Here's my two cents.
                        - solar rechargeable water purifier- lightweight metal trowel- summer gaiters- dixon rollerpack intrigues me
                        Enjoy the show,Mike

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                          DITTO on this!!!

                          Rumor has it that Warbonnet guy has a new Bridge Hammock on the horizon, and we've tested with him before. The Two Jacks (JacksRBetter) Definitely have a new one out, ad we too a e worked with them. Also two new guys in west TN run Butt In A Sling (prob won't be at OR), and their micro weenie hammock loos tempting!

                          >>>* Tarps (we get tents often enough, but what about tarps as shelters?)

                          * ANYTHING hammock related: under quilts, bug netting, tarps!, hammocks, etc.
                          Lots of new manufacturers on the market to check into: ukhammocks.co.uk
                          (Woodsman X hammock); HammockGear.com (they have new tapered under quilt);
                          DutchWare (all kinds of titanium suspension options); KAMMOK (new line of
                          hammocks, straps, tarps, etc.); Ticket to the Moon (updated line of tarps and Bug netting)

                          > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
                          > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
                          > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
                          > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
                          >
                          > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
                          > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
                          > always ideal.
                          >
                          > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
                          > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance for your input.
                          >
                          > Kathy

                        • Ray
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Griffith <bkpkrgirl@...> wrote:

                            > high-altitude lighter (does one exist?)

                            I have literally spent hundreds of dollars chasing this Holy Grail. Have you ever seen an OR?

                            I rest my case...

                            Ray
                          • RyanC
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                              Kathy, et al:

                              As for me, the gear secured at the next OR will be tested in the fall and early winter here in North America. I know Ralph and the others down under will have their own wishlist and I believe we should strive to accommodate both seasons as best we can.

                              Personally, I'd like to see BGT pick up items that I can adequately test in the colder, wetter conditions I'll experience. My preferred list would include such items as:

                              gaiters; waterproof hiking boots; snowshoes; trekking poles that are long enough to use while snowshoeing and backcountry skiing; performance base, mid, and outer layers (including pants and shells, soft and hard, as well as insulative layers both down and synthetic); performance gloves and hats/beanies; the Sierra Designs DriDown sleeping bags; the Sea To Summit down sleeping bags; the new NEMO sleeping bags; cool new stoves, sunglasses, merino wool or other performance socks, down booties...

                              As you can see, I am game for lots of varied gear.

                              Ryan
                            • Ray
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <kwpapke@...> wrote:

                                > 1. Anything from Montbell. Anything. Whenever we do a montbell test call everyone starts salivating...

                                But nobody remembers they are made for small people and nothing fits when they get it. ;-) (Not really joking, it's true. When we get a test keep it in mind. At least a full size bigger with them.)

                                > 2. Anything made from Cuben Fiber, especially tarps. I can't take out a second mortgage on my house to buy one of these dang things.

                                Unfortunately the only people willing to play with this are cottage gear manufacturers that really can't afford to give us three of them. So buy one and review it! ;-) Yeah I do. (Did, I'm broke now. Cuben Fiber God look with favor upon your humble backpacking servant and show your**zzzaaappp!**)

                                (Now can we please test a cuben tarp...)

                                > 3. An upper body garment that actually comes in a Tall size.

                                Kurt, like the old Bud commercials said, "I love you man..."

                                > 4. I think we now have more BGT testers in Arizona than any other state.

                                What, you gonna secede? ;-) Join the new BGT&A(rizona) Woo-hoo, I'm in. Look at those peaks, and they're all tan, colored...

                                >Us desert rats can always use more/better water carrying gear,

                                I agree. No matter where you live water storage can make your hike and camp more enjoyable.

                                Ray
                              • Dingo
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                                  I notice a lot of tents coming through and I think I would like to see more hammocks.
                                  ¢¼Grand Trunk
                                  ¢¼Hennessy
                                  ¢¼Speer
                                  ¢¼Eagles Nest
                                  ¢¼Tom Claytor
                                  ¢¼Byer
                                  ¢¼Trek Light
                                  --and don't test this last one unless I can be picked as a tester LOL! no really, I would love to see it tested, period because I am so intreagued by it...
                                  ¢¼Clark Jungle Hammock http://www.junglehammock.com/

                                  Also the under quilts, hammock tarps and straps. Anything hammock related because there are so many people out there in the backcountry who are using hammocks more often than using tents. It is steadily gaining popularity and honestly, I even love it as an alternative to a tent as a lightweight option depending on location and conditions.

                                  That covers the big items that are on my mind.

                                  Some of the Adventure Medical Kit items would be great to include on the wish list. I too am interested in the bivy they produce, as well as some of their other items.

                                  Marmot makes some gear I would really like to try and I am sure others would as well.
                                  ¢¼Wm's Randonnee Glove
                                  ¢¼Spring Glove
                                  ¢¼Wm's Glide Softshell
                                  ¢¼Shadows Hat
                                  ¢¼Wm's Haven Jacket
                                  ¢¼Power Stretch Beanie
                                  ¢¼Wm's Explore Pant
                                  ¢¼Wm's Outlook LS
                                  ¢¼Wm's Outlook SS
                                  ¢¼Wm's Crystal LS

                                  Some multitools would be good to see tested since they are a really great thing to have on any trip int othe back country. I have found more than enough reasons and applications for a multitool in my pack. I would like to see more of any manufacturer of multitool being included in test calls.

                                  Camp stoves like the MSR pocket rocket and jetboil sol. I think there was a test for the sol a year or so ago but even if it isn't the specific model that has already been tested it would be nice to get a few more camp stoves through the test calls.

                                  I think that is pretty much all I would wish for and I noticed that others have mentioned some of the same items that I have so I feel that what I have suggested here would probably go over really well with other testers as well.

                                  Goodnight
                                  Erin

                                  > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
                                  > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
                                  > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
                                  > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
                                  >
                                  > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
                                  > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
                                  > always ideal.
                                  >
                                  > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
                                  > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks in advance for your input.
                                  >
                                  > Kathy

                                • Ray
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "ftroop94" <ftroop94@...> wrote:

                                    > DITTO on this!!!
                                    >
                                    > Rumor has it that Warbonnet guy has a new Bridge Hammock on the horizon,

                                    Hmm, that would work for side sleepers like me?

                                    Yes!
                                  • Ray
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "RyanC" <bigdawgryan@...> wrote:

                                      > As you can see, I am game for lots of varied gear.

                                      Nah, you like playing in the snow.

                                      What he said...

                                      Ray
                                    • Lori
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 2, 2012
                                        The Blackbird works for side sleepers fine...

                                        The Bridge will be for the stomach sleepers, the side sleepers, and
                                        with some seam sealing, a multi use item - a bath tub. :)

                                        On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Ray wrote:

> [...]
                                        > family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span
                                        > { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform:
                                        > uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration:
                                        > none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity
                                        > span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear:
                                        > both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding:
                                        > 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration:
                                        > none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach
                                        > label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a
                                        > { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold
                                        > { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a
                                        > { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
                                        > weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family:
                                        > Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-
                                        > right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }
                                        > div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title
                                        > a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-
                                        > decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active,
                                        > div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-
                                        > decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts
                                        > { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight:
                                        > normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0
                                        > 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; }
                                        > #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px;
                                        > overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color:
                                        > #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center;
                                        > white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size:
                                        > 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; }
                                        > #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/
                                        > margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size:
                                        > 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size:
                                        > small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit;
                                        > font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99%
                                        > Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:
                                        > 115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height:
                                        > 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a
                                        > { color: #1E66AE; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-
                                        > msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-
                                        > reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco
                                        > { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
                                        > { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li
                                        > { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-
                                        > sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-
                                        > family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text
                                        > tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-
                                      • Mark Thompson
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 3, 2012
                                          Hi Kathy,
                                          Here are some items I would like to test:
                                          - Black Diamond Bipod Bivy
                                          - Black Diamond Tripod Bivy
                                          - medium weight gortex gloves
                                          - avalanche beacon
                                          - SteriPen - the latest in water treatment
                                          - two way radios
                                          - the latest in personal locator beacons like "SPOT"
                                          - Bear Proof food containers

                                          If we are able to stretch to climbing gear:
                                          - Black Diamond or Petzl Ascenders
                                          - Black Diamond or Petzl Ice Tools

                                          Best,
                                          Mark

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 4, 2012
                                            Ray,
                                            Why pick on te SelkBag? It's grouse. Just ask my dog. <g>
                                            For some strange reason, I did not receive this string of emails on my list. Something funny is going on. There seems to be a gap in the receipt of emails. I wonder if my mail box is full and they are bouncing without advice to me??? Had to go to the Yahoo account for this.
                                            Taking Ryan's comments, sadly there are only a few of us with different seasons to the USA so we miss out on applying for wonderful winter gear. I could do with a nice down jacket right now with temps down to 2C.
                                            Anyway,wish list:
                                            Multi Fuel stoves/ Gas stoves
                                            Kitchen Cutlery/plates/bowls/buckets/food containers. Stack em, fold em etc.
                                            Filters. Both types. battery operated and micropore styles.
                                            Always good for headlamps. Love testing them.
                                            Sea to Summit products - specialist shelters, gaiters, sleeping bags.
                                            Compasses/GPS
                                            Rain jackets
                                            Just a few thoughts.

                                            Ralph

                                          • richardglyon@att.net
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 7, 2012
                                              Kathy,

                                              Some things I'd like to see:

                                              Merino midlayers - weight/insulation equipment of down sweaters or fleece (i e heavier than the heaviest Icebreaker)

                                              Socks from Darn Tough Vermont

                                              Down accessories - beanies, booties, neck gaiters, sleeping pads

                                              Hats from Sunday Afternoons or Tilley Endurables

                                              Anything from Ibex or Wild Things [both of which usually attend]

                                              Emergency gear from Brooks Range

                                              Cheers, Richard

                                              > OK, boys and girls! It's OR show time and I'm looking to see what you all
                                              > want to test. This time, I'm looking for very specific items. Please don't
                                              > write "tents", "sleeping bags", etc. And NOBODY should put down "backpacks"
                                              > since we just cancelled a test due to lack of interest.
                                              >
                                              > Not looking for what you don't want to test or when you want to test these
                                              > items. Timing is in large part the manufacturer's call, even though it not
                                              > always ideal.
                                              >
                                              > I'm in the process of scheduling appointments with manufacturers and
                                              > creating a wish list for the show attendees to shoot for.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks in advance for your input.
                                              >
                                              > Kathy

                                            • woodswoman
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 15, 2012