FR- Icebreaker Rush Crewe - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2012
      Richard,
      Here is my FR for the Icebreaker Rush Crewe. Thanks in advance for the edits.

      HTML:
      http://tinyurl.com/6psgln7

      Field
      Report:
      July 1, 2012

      USA
      Locations
      and
      Conditions

      During
      the field test period I have worn the Icebreaker Rush Crewe
      during four different backpacking trips for a total of ten days (6 nights). It
      has
      also been my shirt of choice for many dayhikes and trail running.
      Location of the
      backcountry trips were in Michigan and ranged
      from hilly deciduous forest to open
      non-deciduous communities.
      Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (610 m).

      Late
      May
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Pictured Rocks National
      Lakeshore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 31.2 mi (50 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: 22 lb (10 kg) without
      water
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny,
      windy and cloudy
      Precipitation: 0.27 in (0.69
      cm) rain
      Temperature Range: 42 F to 78 F (6
      C to 18 C)

      June
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Grand Island National
      Recreation Area, Lake Superior, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/Off-Trail
      Distance: 27.8 mi (45 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 night
      Pack Weight: 22 lb (10 kg) without
      water
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny,
      Cloudy, Thunderstorms
      Precipitation: 1.67 in
      (4.24 cm) of rain
      Temperature Range: 44 F (7 C)
      to 73 F (23 C)

      Late
      June
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Pictured Rocks National
      Lakeshore
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 10.5 mi (17 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Pack Weight: 19.5 lb (9 kg) without
      water
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny,
      Cloudy
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature Range: 63 F (17 C )
      to 84 F (29 C)

      Late
      June
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Hiawatha National Forest,
      Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 10 mi (16 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Pack Weight: 19 lb (8.6 kg) without
      water
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature Range: 64 F(18 C)
      to 78 F (26 C)

      Dayhikes/Trail Running

      Location:Noquemanon Trails, Harlow
      Trails, Nubs Nob,
      North CountryTrail, Old Mission Peninsula, all in Michigan (both Upper
      and Lower Peninsulas)
      Distance: Normally 5 to 10 mi
      (8 km to 16 km)
      Temperature: Up to 88 F (31 C)
      ________________________________
      Performance
      in the Field

      I have worn the
      Icebreaker Rush Crewe at least three days a week since I
      received it. I have worn it alone or in combination with a nylon
      long-sleeve button-down trail shirt.

      Since most of the time the
      mornings start off cool I have worn it in combination with a
      long-sleeve shirt
      until I get too hot. Depending on the humidity this most
      oftentimes  happens fast. The Rush Crewe is very comfortable and
      non-itchy to
      wear and I
      like the fact that it is not tight or binding.

      During the first backpacking trip of the field test period, I wore the
      combination of shirts together most of the day. When I arrived at camp
      each night I took off the overshirt and instead layered the Crewe with
      a long-sleeve wool shirt. This combination became both my evening and sleeping wear.

      During my second backpacking trip the weather became quite humid as
      1.67 in (4.24 cm) of rain fell during one of the days. I had to don a
      rain jacket
      and found that I was very comfortable in just the Rush Crewe
      underneath. On the second and third days I wore the Rush Crewe mostly
      as a single layer due to the humidity. It was very
      comfortable to wear under my backpack harness and waist belt. I love
      the length of the shirt as it does not expose my skin when bending over.

      My third and fourth backpacking trips were during very hot weather. I
      wore the Rush Crewe without any overlayers. I was extremely hot and
      the shirt wetted out mostly on the neck area and most of the back that
      was covered by my backpack. During breaks the shirt really didn't have
      a chance to dry out until I ceased backpacking for the day.

      I have
      also worn the Crewe for trail running. Although it certainly
      gets sweaty and wet in some areas it is still comfortable without being
      clammy. That is highly important to me as I dislike the clammy feel of
      many polyester or similar shirts. I've noticed that the mesh areas are
      slower to wet out and are more breathable than the rest of
      the crew shirt. It might be nice to have the whole crew made out of the
      mesh instead of just certain areas.

      Like I suggested in the Initial Report, I was interested in using the
      stash pocket to hold my car keys when I got out for a trail run. I
      normally
      don't take any extra items other than my cell phone and keys when
      running (no pack). Luckily my choice of running shorts usually has
      pockets to save the day as I'm not able to use the tiny pocket on the
      Rush Crewe which is disappointing.

      Since I normally am wearing the Crewe I really don't have a lot of
      experience "packing it". After several days of use without being
      washed the shirt hasn't retained any detectable odor. I have backpacked
      in temperatures up to 84 F (29 C) with humidity up to 100 percent
      (normally 70 percent or more). I have also worn it on much
      hotter days for running and day hiking (about 10 degrees hotter).

      So far, the Rush Crewe is holding up perfectly. I have washed it
      regularly with my other trail clothes and let it hang dry. I haven't
      noticed any piling, staining or odor.

      Summary

      To summarize, the Rush Crewe has not only a comfortable fit but it is
      also non-clammy to wear after heavily sweating. It can be layered
      nicely with other clothing without being bulky.

      Pros

          * Non-bulky
      women's-specific
      fit

          * Mesh areas
      are cooler or more breathable

          * Comfortable
      and non-itchy

      Cons

          * Wish the tiny pocket was larger to hold my keys

      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Icebreaker and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Rush Crewe.This concludes my
      Field Report. The Long Term Report
      will
      be appended
      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for more information.

      Top of Page