FR - tasc Performance Vital Training Shorts - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2012
      Here is my FR for the task Vital shorts. Thanks ahead of time for your edits. The HTML is at: http://tinyurl.com/6o83lkc

      Field Report:

      Field Conditions:

      I wore the tasc Vital Training Shorts on at least 10 trips during the course of the last two months, a few of them are outlined below:

      I wore the shorts during a 3-day 2-night trip in Coconino National Forest in northern Arizona. The elevation ranged from 8,400 ft to 12,637 ft (2,560 m to 3,866 m) and temperatures ranged from 32 F to 65 F (0 C to 18 C).

      I also wore the shorts for a 3-day 2-night trip in the Rincon Mountain district of Saguaro National Park. The elevation ranged from 4,240 ft to 8,482 ft (1,292 m to 2,585 m) and the temperature ranged from 32 F to 80 F (0 C to 27 C)

      The Vital shorts came with me on a 2-day 1-night trip in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson, Arizona. The elevation ranged from 5,400 ft to 9,453 ft (1,646 m to 2,909 m) and the temperatures ranged from the low 50s F to the mid 70s F (low 10s C to mid 20s C).

      Performance in the Field:

      So far I love these shorts! They are so soft and stretchy, lightweight and breathable. I wear them almost everyday down here in the hot Tucson summer. Regardless of my activity, physical or sedentary, these shorts are so very comfortable! I wear them in the house, the mountains, the gym, and at work. They are not too bad on long rides in the car either. I have even worn them to sleep on occasion.

      As far as backpacking is concerned, I have taken the Vital shorts along on every trip the past two months. They have been on countless day hikes as well as at least ten overnights. The shorts are very compactable; I love how easily they can be rolled up and stuffed into my pack. These are the only shorts I take along on overnight trips. When a light pack is important I used to skip taking shorts, I took one pair of pants only. I used to suffer through the warm days in pants because I didn't have a lightweight pair of shorts with pockets. I rarely wear my cargo shorts on overnights because I am not a fan of being cold at night or in the early morning. The tasc shorts allow me more choices for optimal comfort during the course of a trip. They are not a burden to carry and they are easy to slip on over my shoes. I like that the non-bulky fit enables them to be worn underneath my pants when I need to warm up quickly. I also think that they are great to sleep in.

      I love that there are pockets on these shorts! When I am running, stuff will bounce around in the pockets, but other than that they are great. Sometimes it's nice to walk with my hands in my pockets for a while or to store some of my light weight items for easy access while walking. If I'm on a short hike, I put a car key in one pocket and I hardly notice it's there. When on a long trip I may have a compass, a lighter, or a small snack in them.

      One of the best features of these shorts is that they dry very fast. In southern Arizona I stop at water sources and wet my clothes regularly. This is a practice I have done since I was visiting Arizona as a kid and couldn't handle the heat. I am always thankful for the cooling aspect wet clothes provides me with, but as the sun sets and the desert temperatures drastically change in a short time, I need dry clothes to maintain a comfortable body temperature. I have been uncomfortable many an evening due to my clothes not drying as the night temperatures dropped. The Vital shorts have not yet caused me a problem in this way, and I am pleased about that.

      These have been a great pair of shorts up to this point! I am very happy with them and wear them often. I look forward to continuing my testing period, check back in two months for my long term report.

      Things I like:

      1. Lightweight/compactable
      2. Breathable
      3. Fast drying

      Things I don't like:

      Nothing at this time.

      I would like to thank tasc Performance and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test and report back on this item.