IR - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil View Dry Sacks - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2012
      Thank you in advance for the edits, this is my IR for the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil View Dry Sacks. The HTML can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Ultra-Sil%20View%20Dry%20Sacks%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      SEA TO SUMMIT ULTRA-SIL VIEW DRY SACKS
      Test Series By Theresa lawrence
      IR
      June 04, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 34
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Information and Specifications

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: http://seatosummit.com
      MSRP: Not given
      Color and Size Tested: Blue 8 L and Berry 13 L
      Other Colors Available: Orange and Green
      Other Sizes Available : 1, 2, 4, 20 and 35 L
      Listed Weight: 8 L Sack - 1.5 oz (43 g), 13 L Sack - 1.9 oz (53 g)
      Measured Weight: 8 L Sack - 1.3 oz (36.9 g), 13 L Sack - 1.65 oz (46.8 g)
      Dimensions (diameter base x height): 8 L Sack - 6.7x18 in (17x46 cm),13 L Sack - 8.6x21 in (22x53 cm)

      Product Desription

      The Ultra-Sil View Dry Sack is suggested for use is in a backpack, longer lightweight hikes, adventure travels and cycle touring. The fabric used is branded Ultra-Sil 30D CORDURA, which is a high-tenacity siliconised nylon. There is also a TPU feature window RF-welded to the nylon fabric. The RF welding technique claims to form a bond that is as strong as the two materials being joined. The Ultra-Sil fabric claims to have a 2000 mm waterhead, I believe this has something to do with its waterproof strength. There is a Hypalon roll top closure, which apparently "does not wick moisture", I'm assuming that's a good thing. The stitching is reinforced for maximum strength and the bag is fully seam-sealed and polyurethane coated for maximum waterproofness.

      Reading The Instructions

      Removable instructions were sewn into the inside of each bag, which included a diagram of how to close the dry sack. The key was to fold down the roll top closure at least 3 times before clipping the buckle. Further instructions advised to avoid contact with sharp objects and abrasive surfaces. The manufacture also states sensitive electronic equipment should only be packed with the use of 2 dry bags and it was also clear that these bags should NOT ever be submerged. As for washing the bags, they should only be hand washed in warm water. The key information was repeated on the packaging it came wrapped in, along with a reference to an instructional video on the website which was supposed to give further details on correct use and care. However, disappointingly, I could find no such video on the website. Nor was there any information on warranty and life expectancy of the product.

      Initial Impressions

      The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil View Dry Sacks (8 and 13L) arrived in a super light package in the desired colors berry and blue. They were lighter than the listed weight and appeared exactly as I expected when previewing the website. They looked slick, were ultra-lightweight with a window to view contents, silky smooth and easy to open and close. The seams appeared well crafted double-sewn and seam-sealed. I will be looking to see how they hold together and whether or not any delamination occurs or whether the polyurethane coating breaks down over time while using the items for backpacking, kayaking and climbing. I have blown up the bags and closed the bag as per institutions and they appear to be airtight, that is a good sign. I am very curious how waterproof the material is, which will determine what I put in them. Since there is a window, these bags seem ideal for those miscellaneous items that always get lost in my pack and may help to keep me organized
      when I can't remember which sack I put things in. In addition to some backpacking and hiking trips, I've also got a sea kayaking trip, some white water kayaking and an adventure race with a kayaking segment planned for these bags as well, so stay tuned!

      Summary

      So far the Ultra-Sil View Dry Sacks appear ideal for keeping things organized and lightweight. They have met my initial expectations off the website. They look great, are lightweight, well crafted and appear to be a useful sack to use backpacking and kayaking.

      PROS: lightweight, view window, waterproof
      CONS: none yet

      My sincere thanks to Sea to Summit, BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this dry bag series. Check back in a couple months for my field reviews.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.