FR - ExOfficio - Trail Roam'r Pant - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hello,  my FR ready for the "red pen" many thanks.Mike
      http://tinyurl.com/7lsjlug

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a> FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> Date / Location - April 1 / Mt. PegDistance / Elevation - 4.5 mi (7 km) / 1100 ft (335 m)Conditions - 45 F (7 C) sunny and windyTerrain - gentle 400 ft (120 m) climb on narrow trails overgrown with brush
      Date / Location - April 8 / Mt. TomDistance / Elevation - 12 mi (19 km) / 1350 ft (411 m)Conditions - 40 F (4 C) windy with spits of snow/rainTerrain - steep 650 ft (200 m) climb on rocky trails
      Date / Location - April 13-15 / Mt AscutneyDistance / Elevation - 20 mi (32 km) / 3144 ft (958 m)Conditions - Daytime highs 63 and 75 F (17 and 24 C), sunny and very windy at the summit Nighttime lows 29 and 32 F (-2 and 0 C) clear skiesTerrain - 5000 ft (1520 m) gain and loss summiting twice via three trails
      Date / Location - April 29 / Trail work day on the Appalachian TrailDistance / Elevation - 6 mi (9.5 km) / 775 - 1295 ft (236 - 395 m)Conditions - 50 F (10 C) sunny and windy with 30 mph (48 kph) gustTerrain - varying from gentle to steep trail with three stream crossing
       Date / Location - May 13 / Mt AscutneyDistance / Elevation - 10 mi (16 km) / 3144 ft (958 m)Conditions - 75 F (24 C) sunny and breezy at the summitTerrain - trail increases in difficulty including scaling large granite slabs as it gains 2100 ft (640 m)

       PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD I wear pants for several reasons while hiking.  I want my legs protected from the elements, blocking the sun and/or wind.  I also want to keep dirt, bugs and vegetation along the trail off of my skin.  But most importantly I do not want my range of motion to be obstructed while doing any of the above.  The ExOfficio Trail Roam'r pants have done well on all counts.
      Under the conditions encountered with the Trail Roam'rs my legs were neither cold or overheated.   They feel thin but the Roam'rs wind resistance is impressive, two incidents stand out.  One a 50 F (10 C) day with 30 mph (48 kph) wind gust that I needed to wear a wool hat to keep my ears warm.  Second atop the fire tower on the summit of Mt. Ascutney on a which my fingers started going numb after a few minutes.  On both occasions, I never felt the wind on the lower half of my body.  Heat has not been a factor during this test period nor the sun very intense.  I anticipate this will be more of a factor during the Long-Term testing.  I have seen precipitation on only one outing.  It was a very light mix of rain and snow.  The little that found the Roam'rs did not penetrate the pants.
      An unusually dry winter has meant virtually no mud season this year.  I was lucky enough however to find some mud while clearing water bars on a trail maintenance hike.  Mud accumulated on the lower 4 - 6 in (10 - 15 cm) of the pants.  The pants were dry very quickly and by the end of the hike most of the mud flaked off.  My boots, socks and skin were all free of dirt or mud where they were covered by the Roam'rs.  The dry winter also means low mosquito and black fly populations but  very high tick population this year.  When encountering open fields or tall grass I have cinched the cuffs tight at the ankles.  This is in hopes of preventing any ticks from crawling under the pants.  On two different hikes I found a total of six ticks creeping up the Roam'rs.  I am not sure if closing the cuffs made all the difference., but the khaki color definitely makes it very easy to spot ticks.
      The Trail Roam'rs have done great in the "armour" category, but all that means little to me if I am not comfortable.  The Roam'rs fit closer to my body than most pants I wear.  I thought this might become uncomfortable or restrict range of motion.  The Roam'rs are very light and feel nice against my skin.  They  have not caused any restriction of movement.  Some pants need to be "hiked up" at the thigh when taking a big forward or upward step.  The Roam'rs four-way stretch fabric accommodated every move I made without any assistance from me.  On Mt. Ascutney the Roam'rs felt fluid while scrambling up and over large rocks.  The closer than usual cut of the pants has been commented on by my wife.  She says they are too tight in the seat.  I always say function before fashion.  So this makes for a very minor mark against the Trail Roam'rs.
      I like being able to squirrel things away but want to be able to get to them.  So I really like pockets on my clothes.  The pockets on the Trail Roam'rs are well positioned for easy access.  They hold just enough to make them useful without becoming bulky.  I have utilized the cargo and left hip zipper pockets the most.  I like being able to secure cash and ID in the left hip zipper pocket. The cargo pocket has been great for holding trail maps.
      I have yet to wash the Trail Roam'r pants.  They just haven't met my definition of dirty yet.  I will report on this after putting them through the wash during the next test period. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Me & my favorite hiking partner"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Me & My Favorite Hiking Partner">>
       LIKES -comfortable-mobility-pockets

       DISLIKES -close cut in the seat SUMMARY Thus far the ExOfficio Trail Roam'r pants get top marks for backpacking.  I have been comfortable in these pants every mile hiked.  The pockets are well position for use while on the trail.  I find the cut of the pants ideal for hiking.  There is no extra fabric to snag when negotiating overgrown vegetation.  The cut is less appealing to me for casual wear.  I guess for me the name says it all.  A Trail Roam'r I look forward to being as the temperatures are warming and the trails are turning green.
      This concludes my Field Report.  Long Term testing will take place for the next two months.  Please come back then for the final report.  My thanks to ExOfficio and BackpackGearTest.org for putting this test series together.

         This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        Sorry it has taken so long to get to your edits. It seems David is MIA so I will take over for now. Love your pictures, you look like the Happy Hiker.

        Here you go, see you in a couple months.

        Ray

        ***Conditions - Daytime highs 63 and 75 F (17 and 24 C), sunny and very windy at the summit Nighttime lows 29 and 32 F (-2 and 0 C) clear skies

        EDIT: as you have "nighttime" in the same sentence it should not be capitalized and there should be a comma after "summit"

        ***Conditions - 50 F (10 C) sunny and windy with 30 mph (48 kph)

        EDIT: 48 km/h (that is the right abbreviation, please change your other instances too)

        *** Second atop the fire tower on the summit of Mt. Ascutney on a which my fingers

        EDIT: delete "a" before "which"

        ***I am not sure if closing the cuffs made all the difference., but the khaki color

        EDIT: delete period after "difference"
      • Mike Pearl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2012
          Ray, thanks for picking this one up.  Happy indeed when getting up with the sunrise to hike!Corrected and uploaded.  Thanks again,Mike