IR - Solo Stove - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hello!
      Here is my IR for the Solo Stove. I am looking forward to getting this out and tested!
      Thank you in advance for the edits
      Mike Mosack

      http://tinyurl.com/8xev8h

      SOLO STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK
      IR
      May 30, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Mosack
      EMAIL: mosack(at)earthlink(dot)net
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Lakeside, CA USA and Afghanistan
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, California and Grand Canyon, Arizona and I've worked in Afghanistan for 4 years & rely on my equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter when possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items are paramount to me over price and weight.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Solo Stove<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Actual item tested">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: www.solostove.com
      MSRP: US $89.99
      Listed Weight: 9 oz (255 g)
      Measured Weight: 9 oz (255 g)

      Size (nested): 4.25 inch (10.8 cm) diameter, 3.8 inches (9.7 cm) tall
      Size (assembled): 4.25 inch (10.8 cm) diameter, 5.7 inches (14.5 cm) tall
      Constructed using hardened 304 stainless steel and nichrome wire
      Time to Boil (per manufacturer): 8-10 minutes to boil 34 fl oz (1 liter) water

      The manufacturer offers a 30 day money back guarantee and one year warranty from date of purchase.
      This stove can be purchased directly from the manufacturer's website.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      According to the website, "The Solo Stove is the ultimate backpacking stove - a lightweight, compact, efficient eco-friendly backpacking stove that will last you a lifetime."<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove assembled">>
      The Solo Stove is a natural convection inverted downgas gasifer stove that incorporates a secondary combustion for a more efficient and cleaner burn. To be honest, I only have a rudimentary understanding of all that, but it has a simple design that is compact, lightweight and strong. I am confident that it will survive in my pack. There are bottom vents that allow air to enter and flow up the bottom of the grate to feed the primary combustion area. This assists in heating up the air and smoke to further reduce smoke emissions and provide additional venting within the stove.

      The manufacturer states that they are, "especially excited about how little of an impact the Solo Stove has on the environment."

      The manufacturer further states the Solo Stove was designed and built for serious backpackers, survivalists, emergency disaster kits and campers alike and when used properly, the Solo Stove can last a lifetime. My initial impression is that this little stove is very well made, compact - much more compact than I thought it was from the website and it easy to set up and use. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove "nested" and ready to store away">>

      TRYING IT OUT

      The manufacturer claims that the Solo Stove's efficiency is that it boils 34 fl oz (1 l) of water in 8 to 10 minutes. I will be testing the burn/boil rates and will share that information in my Field Report. I tried it out on my back porch and found it lights easily and works very well. I like how it packs up in its "nested" configuration. With only two parts, it is simple to use and when nested, it fits inside my titanium mug to save a lot of space in my pack. Not having to carry any fuel with me anymore, seems I'll wave weight and I always like that idea!
      I am very eager to get this out on the trail. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "And it works too!">>

      SUMMARY

      I am surprised with this stove. The quality is above my initial expectations. The weight is less than what I envisioned when I first read about the stove. It has a simple design using only two parts and seems very efficient. It also happens to fit right inside my titanium mug perfectly to save space in my pack.

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.solostove.com" LINK TEXT = "Solo Stove">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for the opportunity to participate in this test. Please come back in July to check out my Field Report.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2012
        Mike,

        Sorry for the delay in getting these back to you.

        Great photos! Well done, and a nice succinct report. I don't have any real edits for you, but wanted to comment on one area where I feel like you could fill the report out a bit. When you describe firing it up in the "Trying it out" section, I'd personally like to know more about how that went. What kind of fuel did you use? Was it easy to light? That sort of thing. You could always discuss that more in your field report, but it wouldn't hurt to expand that a bit here if you like.

        Ready to upload at your convenience. I look forward to your Field Report.

      • mosack@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2012
          The file has been uploaded and the test file deleted. I plan to go into more detail in the FR on the fuel and ease of how this little stove works...
          Thanks for the edits. See you in two!