IR - BOLLE RAINIER SUNGLASSES - STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2012
      Jerry,

      Attached is my IR on the sunglasses. Excited to hit the trail with them!

      ~Steve

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/nfw3w

      OR

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-BOLLE%20RAINIER%20SUNGLASSES-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      BOLLÉ RAINIER SUNGLASSES
      TEST SERIES BY STEVEN M KIDD
      IR
      June 01, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings that cover between 5 to 20 mi (8 - 32 km) distances. I try to keep the all-inclusive weight of my pack under 20 lb (9 kg) even in the winter.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesy of Bollé">>

      Manufacturer: Bushnell Outdoor Products
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://bolle.com">>
      MSRP: N/A
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: Sunglasses: 1.1 oz (31 g); Bag: 0.3 oz (9 g); Case: 2.3 oz (65 g)
      Measured Lens Size: 70 x 45 mm (2.75 x 1.75 in)

      6 Available Colors: Dark Satin Gray with True Neutral Smoke Lenses; Holographic Silver with Rose Blue Lenses; Shiny White with True Neutral Smoke Fire Lenses; Shiny Red with Photo Rose Gun Lenses and Dark Satin Gray with True Neutral Smoke Polarized Lenses (Testing this final style)

      The Bollé Rainier's are wrap-around style sunglasses. They sport no less than six proprietary properties. The lenses are made of Trivex and use B-Clear technology which is designed not to fog and is coated with both oleophobic and hydrophobic properties in an effort to repel dirt and keep the lenses perspiration free in even the most strenuous conditions. The pair I'm testing is also polarized.

      The sunglasses have a scratch resistant coating known as Carbo Glas. The frames are made of a nylon material called B88 with the intention of being durable and lightweight. I measured the frame arms at just under 5 in (127 mm) long.

      The nose pad, which is one continuous piece that I measured at 2 in (51 mm) are adjustable for a tailored fit. The nose pad and brow rest, measured at 5 in (127 mm), are made with Thermogrip. This is designed for a comfortable fit that absorbs moisture and keep the glasses in place. The material is softer than the nylon frames, slightly spongy to the touch. Finally the temples are vented with two slots on either side of the frame. One is 0.625 in (16 mm) and the other is 0.375 in (10 mm) long.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Bollé Rainier sunglasses arrived in an appealing recycled box. I opened the box to remove a black hard shelled protective case with a Bollé Alpine logo on the case top, a zippered opening with another logoed zipper pull and a tap with a plastic clip for attaching the case to D - rings or the like. I unzipped the case, which took some effort the first time. The glasses were in yet another soft cloth bag with a cinch draw. I removed the sunglasses from the bag and was immediately impressed with how light they felt.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>

      I slid the glasses on and they felt nearly weightless. The polarized lenses are certainly dark as they are designed to work best in bright light and high glare conditions. I was so enamored by their lightweight feel that I walked in and put them on the scales. As mentioned at the start of the report they weighed just 1.1 oz (31 g), and with the case, bag and all it weighs just 3.7 oz (105 g). I certainly will use the case when I'm backpacking for protective purposes, but I found it interesting the case weighed nearly twice a much as the glasses.

      When I first gazed in the mirror I noticed how large the lenses were in comparison to both the sun and eyeglasses I generally wear. In fact, these lenses are approximately 25% larger than the eyeglasses I'm wearing while creating this report. Although I'm not typically one who wears larger framed glasses I thoroughly understand and appreciate the way these frames wrap the face and minimize bright light from sneaking in on the peripheral.

      One of the things that intrigues me most about the Rainier sunglasses is the hydrophobic and no-fog claim promoted by Bollé. I often do not wear sunglasses on the trail for this key reason. I begin to sweat and then the glasses become dirty and foggy. If this statement is true I'll be elated and happy to use them on the trail. The Thermogrip material feels comfortable on my brow and nose. The venting slots also appear novel and I hope to see if they aid in keeping the glasses moisture free as well.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Thermogrip">>

      The Thermogrip material is a bold lime green color contrasting with the muted nylon satin gray frames and gray hued lenses. Most of the green is on the inside of the frames and along the back of the ear pieces, so although the green is bold, it blends in well with my conservative taste in eyewear. Bollé, however, does offer these sunglasses in some bold options with varying styles of lenses. I may have gone the milk-toast route, but these were also the only style available with polarized lenses, and I felt this would be beneficial for water use and potential snow glare in the winter.

      CARE AND CLEANING

      Bollé suggests cleaning the glasses with a lens cloth or cotton and using a mild diluted liquid soap. They state never to use paper products on the lenses or any chemical cleaning agents. As salt is highly abrasive the company suggests rinsing them after use in ocean water before cleaning. They should also never be placed face down and are best stored in their protective case or pouch when not in use.

      The lenses are designed to be twenty times more impact resistant than glass and are scratch resistant, but certainly not scratch proof.

      Many of these suggestions appear to be common sense, but almost every pair of sunglasses I've ever seen damaged was due to improper storage or care, not general use and wear.

      SUMMARY

      So far I'm truly excited by the Bollé Rainier sunglasses. They are lightweight; provide full coverage from the sun and the craftsmanship appears impeccable. I'm excited to try them in the field. I look forward to using them at the pool with the family this weekend and in the Caribbean next weekend when I spend the better part of a day on and under the water doing some scuba diving. After this I'll get a thorough field test in the backcountry.
      Roses:

      Lightweight
      Appear Durable
      Full sun protection
      Anti-glare technology

      Thorns:

      Larger frames and lenses than I'm used to wearing
      Zipper on the case has given me some trouble

      I'd like to thank BackpackGearTest and Bushnell Outdoor Products for the opportunity to test the Bollé Rainier sunglasses. Please check back in a few months to see how well they've held up to my profuse perspiration on the trail!

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2012
        Nice report, looks like a nice pair of sunglasses
        As usual, EDIT - edit, edit - change to something like that, comment - just that.
        Upload when edits are done and delete from test folder.
        See you in two months

        "MSRP: N/A"
        I saw $159.99 on their website

        "The lenses are made of Trivex and use B-Clear technology which is designed not to fog and is coated with both oleophobic and hydrophobic properties in an effort to repel dirt and keep the lenses perspiration free in even the most strenuous conditions."
        EDIT -something like "... designed not to fog and has both oleophobic and hydrophobic coatings in an effort to..." - it's not coated with poperties, coatings have properties...

        "The nose pad, which is one continuous piece that I measured at 2 in (51 mm) are adjustable for a tailored fit."
        EDIT "...is adjustable..."

      • ftroop94
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
          Thanks Jerry! Taken care of!