IR - Garmont Zenith GTX Boots - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2012
      Here is my IR for the Garmonts.
      Thank you in advance for the edits.
      Mike Mosack

      http://tinyurl.com/7zb38kj

      Garmont Armont Zenith Mid GTX Boots
      Test Series by Mike Mosack
      IR
      May 30, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Mosack
      EMAIL: mosack@...
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: San Diego, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
      SHOE SIZE: US 14 (EU 49)

      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons and in various locations within the USA, to include my favorites being Yosemite and Sierra Nevadas, California. I also have worked in Afghanistan for 4 years and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I go lighter whenever possible. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Garmont <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image from maufacturer's website">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.garmont.com" LINK TEXT = "www.garmont.com">>
      MSRP: N/A
      Listed Weight of 1/2 pair size 8 UK: 550 g (19.4 oz)
      Measured Weight of size 14 US: 14.8 kg (52.1 oz) pair or
      Left boot = 738g (26 oz); Right boot = 740g (26.1 oz)
      Size Range: UK 6 - 13 + ½ (US 7 - 14 + ½) sizes
      Colors available: Anthracite (tested) and Brown
      Warranty: Information not available

      Other details:
      According to the website, "Outside Magazine 2011 Gear of the Year award."
      Information on the website is available in English, French and German.

      Product description:
      The Garmont Armont Zenith Mid GTX Boots will be hereafter referred to as "boots". According to the manufacturer, they are designed primarily as three-season boots for trail sport use. They are breathable, lightweight hiking boots with a Gore-Tex waterproofing lining. These boots feature a mid-cut design for stability and ankle protection with a heel lock retention system and a lightweight EVA comfort core. There are many features, many of which are of a technical variety, which are available and listed on the website. I will refer to some of them throughout this report.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Actual tested boots">>

      Technical Upper Specifications
      •1.6 mm water repellent nubuk
      •Highly breathable abrasion resistant mesh
      •Rust resistant hardware and tape webbing
      •Gussetted, padded tongue keeps out debris
      •Asymmetrical cuff height for comfort and support
      •Rubber toe bumper for added protection
      •ADD construction for instant fit with minimal break-in

      Technical Sole Features
      •PU perimeter midsole provides stability and resists compression set.
      •EVA comfort core reduces swing weight and provides shock attenuation.
      •Vibram® Q768 outsole offers stability and grip on varying terrains, semi blocked heel lugs for braking and deceleration; perimeter stability lugs
      •Garmont TPU Spine system provides midfoot support and improved forefoot flex

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      These boots are very attractive to me and seemingly well made. All of the stitching is well done. The PU footbed is removable and designed for breathability and moisture management. These boots feature a Vibram® outsole that appears to be a very aggressive type tread and is well molded and glued to the boot. The tongue is well padded and overall, the boot is quite comfortable. The laces stay tied and the eyelets and grommets provide a solid system to secure the boot to my foot. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Lacing system">>

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Not that I feel I really need any, but I found no instructions with my boots. There are many links available on the manufacturer's website, but I found many did not go anywhere. I was using Internet Explorer and there is a possibility that another platform might work better. Even the link to FAQ did provide any actual answers to common questions so that was a little disappointing. The website did state that, "customer service can give precise and useful for their use and proper maintenance." <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Quality stitching and construction">>

      TRYING IT OUT

      Putting on my boots is very easy. They come with an attached pull loop to assist pulling them on, but I found this unnecessary. The boots open up very well and my feet go in easily. My boots came already laced up so all I needed to do was to tie them and I was ready. They fit well and are comfortable. I found that I experienced a slight rubbing at the top of the boot's upper against my ankle. To minimize this, I doubled over my socks so that I added increased thickness for padding in that area. I believe this feeling might go away as I get used to my new boots. I will report any further instances like this in my Field and Long Term Reports as required. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Outsole and upper">>

      SUMMARY

      I am happy with my new boots and look forward to getting these out on the trail. I found a slight rubbing on my upper ankle from the top of the boot's padded upper as I first put them on and walked around, but I am open to this being something that goes away as I get used to the boots and we go through the break-in period. My immediate quick-fix for this was to simply double roll my socks so that I had added padding between my lag and the boot's upper. So far, all is good and I am very eager to get these out on the trail.

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.garmont.com" LINK TEXT = "Garmont">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for the opportunity to participate in testing this product. Please check back in July 2012 for my Field Report.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2012
        Mike,

        Great to work with you on this series. Here are my notes and edits following the usual pattern:

        EDIT: Must change
        Edit: Consider revising
        Comment: Random remarks

        Please upload the final version to the appropriate folder once you're done, and remove the test report.

        See you in a few months.

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        > hiking boots with a Gore-Tex waterproofing lining. T
        EDIT: According to BGT: "GORE-TEX" in all caps. In all cases.

        > •1.6 mm water repellent nubuk
        > •Highly breathable abrasion resistant mesh
        Comment: I'd like a little space between the bullet and the item. Up to you.

        > Not that I feel I really need any, but I found no instructions with my boots.
        Comment: For some reason, I thought the personal pronoun "my" was odd. It could be many things, like "the" boots or "these" boots. Not a big deal, really. Occurs in more than one instance.

        > Even the link to FAQ did provide any actual answers to common questions so that was a little disappointing.
        EDIT: Confused here. The FAQ "did" provide or "didn't" provide any answers?

        > The website did state that, "customer service can give precise and useful for their use and proper maintenance."
        EDIT: Also confused here. I'm not sure if a word was "transmogrified" or if that really is a direct quote, but "precise and useful for their use" doesn't really make sense.
      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
          Thanks Derek,
          I fixed the edits and address the comments as well. I only left the pronoun
          use of "my" boots. I guess I like the connection that seems to me anyway
          that I am a owner like my readers maybe...
          The last edit you caught that the word was possibly transmogrified or
          something... It was a direct cut and paste/quote, but I agree with what you
          said and I added "[information]" in the missing spot to make it make much
          more sense. Good catches - all.
          Thanks and see you in 2!