IR: Garmont Amica GTX Trail Shoes - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2012
      Jamie,
      Here is my IR for the Garmont Shoes. Thanks in advance for the edits. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/d4pctgj

      Garmont
      Amica Trail GTX Shoes
      Test
      Series by:
      Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents:

      Initial Report - May
      30, 2012

      ________________________________
      Initial
      Report:
      May 30, 2012

      Tester
      Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age:59
      Gender:Female
      Height:5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight:152 lb (69 kg)
      Location:Marquette, Michigan
      USA
      Email:woodswoman
      2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      For
      the last 20
      years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although
      I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority
      of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb
      (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than 50 nights a
      year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      ________________________________
      Product Information

      Manufacturer
      Garmont

      Website http://www.garmontusa.com

      Model Amica
      Trail GTX

      Color
      Dk
      Grey/Aubergine (Also available in Chocolate/Spice and Sand/Pale Green)

      Size
        10.5 US (42.5 EU)

      Manufacturer
      Weight   456 g (16.08 oz)

      Tested
      Weight   17.3 oz  (490 g)

      Model Year 2012

      MSRP $134.95

      ________________________________
      Initial Impressions
      and Product Description

      The Garmont
      Amica Trail Shoes arrived in the requested color and my normal size as
      shown above. A few basic hangtags were attached to one shoe.

      Fit

      I would describe the fit as being very roomy especially in the length
      of the toe box. At first I questioned whether the shoes were too long
      as there was more than the usual length in front of my big toe. However
      the placement of my other toes led me to believe that a smaller size
      would be inadequate. I will wear the shoes with the provided footbeds
      and if I deem them to not take up enough space, I will switch over to
      thicker insoles. I normally wear very thin socks so that is also
      something that I will experiment with if needed.

      Design and Technical
      Features

      The
      AMICAS are a low-cut rugged-looking shoe with combination-type lacing
      that consists of both eyelets and loops (made of webbing).
      The two types alternate. There is a center loop at the base of the
      lacing and a center loop in the middle of the tongue on each shoe. A
      heel loop is also attached at the back of each heel to aid in pulling
      the shoes on or off.

      The
      Amicas have a Gore-tex lining so that they can be used in both wet and
      dry conditions. They are also available in a non-Gore-tex version.

      The uppers of the Amica Trail GTX Shoes consist of a combination of
      mesh fabric and suede material. The suede material is double stitched
      in many places and has a flowery-type design on each side of the heel.
      There are also swirls of stitching on the mostly mesh tongue. The
      interior of the padded cuff area is a very soft fleece-type material.

      Vibram Fiore

      The midsoles feature tri-density
      material (shown in "A") with an a EVA (ethylene -vinyl acetate) core
      that is inserted into a PU (polyurethane) base with internal lotus pods
      that help with cushion and flex (shown in "B"). Dual spine systems
      independently stabilize the foot (shown in "C") according to the
      manufacturer.

      The outsoles of the Amicas are Vibram Fiore that are reportedly
      slip-resistant (Shown in "D"). The self-cleaning lugs are deep at 6mm.
      The flowery design is integrated into the lug pattern. The outsole
      wraps up in the front and back of the shoe likely providing some bump
      protection.

      Lastly the
      footbeds are called Ortholite and reportedly are breathable and provide
      moisture management. The women's-specific footbeds appear to be made
      out of a combination of materials to provide more shaping than most
      stock insoles. The exterior material of the insoles have fancy swirly
      and flowery graphics as well. There is no mistake that these are
      women's shoes and footbeds!

      ADD Design

      According
      to the manufacturer's website and hang tag the Amicas feature ADD
      (Anatomically Directed Design). This technology is supposed to allowed
      the feet to stabilize, absorb shock and propel with efficiency.

      Some of the features of that design are noticeable. One of the features
      noted that the cuff height is lower on the lateral side and taller on
      the medial side (ASYMMETRICAL CUFF HEIGHT). I could readily
      see the difference. This height differential is supposed to add support
      and resist ankle sprains on the inside edge or medial. The lateral
      shorter side reportedly would add comfort during heel strike.

      Another feature is that the lateral half of the shoe tongue is thicker
      (LATERAL TONGUE POST). Again that is noticeable upon examination.
      Supposedly this helps more with an anatomical fit and helps limit
      tongue drift. I know
      the latter is a common problem on many of my shoes so I am keen to find
      out if this helps!. One of the other features is FIRST METATARSAL
      ACCOMMODATION which simply means there is more room for the big toe.
      This may be why there was so much room in front of the big toe as noted above.

      Other features of ADD are supposed to be an ASYMMETRICAL CLOSURE
      SYSTEM. Not sure on this one as the lacing looks just like most shoes
      to me. The last feature are asymmetrical heel pads (DIFFERENTIAL
      MALEOLAR PADS). I can not readily see this either but the shaped heels
      of the shoes feel great to me.

      The Amicas are guaranteed for one year from defects in materials and workmanship.I am excited to get out on the trail with the Garmont Amica GTX Trail Shoes.

      Pros
      So Far

          * Rugged appearance

          * ADD features

          * Quality
      product

          * Insoles are shaped more than most stock insoles

      Cons
      So Far

          *  A different fit than I am used to
          * Couldn't notice a few of the ADD features

      ________________________________
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Garmont and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Amica GTX Trail Shoes.This concludes my
      Initial Report. The Field Report
      will
      be appended
      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for more information.

      Vibram Fiore Chart: Courtesy of Manufacturer

      Top of Page
    • Jamie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
        Hi Gail,

        Thanks for the report, see my comments below. Feel free to upload once attended to.

        Enjoy your field testing!

        Jamie

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, woodswoman <woodswoman2001@...> wrote:

        > Features
        >
        > The
        > AMICAS are a low-cut rugged-looking shoe with combination-type lacing that consists of both eyelets and loops (made of webbing).

        EDIT: Your capitalisation of AMICAS above is the only time you use capitals, the remaining report is Amicas.

        > The outsoles of the Amicas are Vibram Fiore that are reportedly
        > slip-resistant (Shown in "D"). The self-cleaning lugs are deep at 6mm.

        EDIT: I assume image D is taken from the manufacturer's website? If so please credit the image to them

        I know the latter is a common problem on many of my shoes so I am keen to find out if this helps!.

        EDIT: Remove the . after !

        > Cons
        > So Far
        >
        >     *  A different fit than I am used to

        There is an extra space between * and A, please remove
      • woodswoman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012

          Jamie,
          Thanks for the edits. I had already credited the manufacturer under "Remarks" at the bottom of the page so I will just leave it there.