IR - Industrial Revolution Swedish FireKnife - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2012
      Dear Mystery Monitor:

      Here is my initial report for the Industrial Revolution Swedish FireKnife.

      > http://bit.ly/IYL8c8

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Industrial Revolution -- Swedish FireKnife

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 3 May 2012
      Field Report:
      Long-Term Report:
      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 36
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 175 lb (79 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Industrial Revolution
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2012, made in Sweden
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE industrialrev.com
      MSRP $39.99 USD
      LISTED FEATURES
      Mora of Sweden makes this flexible and sturdy blade of Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel.
      Scandinavian grind.
      Polypropylene sheath with clip.
      High-friction, TPE rubber handle.
      An original Swedish FireSteel Scout, with approximately 3,000 strikes, twist locks into the handle for lighting campfires, gas stoves, and barbecues.
      Swedish FireSteel firestarter works equally well when wet, performs at all altitudes, and produces a 3,000A*C (5,400A*F) spark.
      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      Take a small quantity of cotton balls, TinderDust, dryer lint, or any other flammable material. Build them up into a pile.

      Grip the FireSteel with one hand,
      Take hold of the striker/knife with the other hand,
      Position the striker/spine of knife against the FireSteel rod.
      Force the striker/spine of knife 'slowly down' with the thumb of hand holding the FireSteel.
      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (in sheath) 3.4 oz (94 g) 3.9 oz (110.6 g)
      Dimensions 10 cm (3.75 in) blade length 10 cm (3.75 in) blade length
      12 cm (4.75 in) handle length
      COLORS Black, Red, Orange, Blue, Green
      SIZES One size
      WARRANTY Industrial Revolution, Inc. warrants that the product shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for the life of the product. This limited warranty applies to the original Purchaser only and is non-transferable.
      MATERIALS Polypropylene, 12C27 stainless steel, Magnesium alloy

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Industrial Revolution Swedish FireKnife is a combination stainless steel blade with a magnesium striker embedded in the handle. The handle and sheath are formed out of polypropylene. The magnesium striker is also mounted on a polypropylene grip that inserts into the end of the handle and twists to lock into place.

      A length of accessory cord is threaded through the striker.

      The blade is simple with a flat top and a sharp edge that tapers to the point.

      The sheath is also made from polypropylene and is moulded into a single piece. The knife fits and snaps into place in the sheath in only one direction. On the back of the sheath is a curved belt clip.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I've been a long-time match and lighter user and even enjoy making fires out of flint and steel with char cloth, with only brief interactions with magnesium strikers. To be honest, I generally dismissed them as "cheating" when it came to fire starting. After several years of wet matches and failed lighters, I'm jumping head-first into magnesium strikers and I'm genuinely impressed. Testing the Swedish FireKnife has made me an easy convert to the ease with which I can ignite fires, including my stove.

      To use the knife with the magnesium striker, I use the broad, flat top edge of the knife (not the sharp edge!) and apply force as I drag the knife over the magnesium to create the sparks. I also had my kids try it with me and found that it doesn't take a lot of pressure to get it to work, but the angle and pressure are important to get a nice spark.

      I really like that the striker and knife are combined and lock together securely when not in use. The striker fits in the handle nicely and twists to lock.

      I was a little underwhelmed when I first pulled the knife out of the sheath. I guess I was expecting a larger, maybe wider blade. I think the size of the sheath gives the appearance of a bigger blade inside. I'm no knife expert, so I can't talk technically about the qualities of the blade, other than it feels very durable and sharp. I don't normally carry large knives--folding or sheathed--but I am looking forward to trying a few things with this blade.

      The other thing I'm not really impressed with is the sheath. The moulded plastic gives the entire piece a juvenile feel, almost feels like a toy. The belt clip is handy, but it limits how I can easily attach the knife to my pack or clothing. While the knife "snaps" in the sheath, I would feel more comfortable if the sheath had a restraining strap. I've seen some backpackers attach knives like this to shoulder straps or on a lanyard around their neck. I'd like to try this too, because I don't want it strapped to my hip since my pack's hip belt will interfere. I'd like to have the knife accessible, so I'll see where I can get it clipped. I may have to use a second strap to attach the sheath to a shoulder strap, for example.

      INITIAL SUMMARY

      Overall, the FireKnife feels durable and well-made. The magnesium striker is impressive and I can't wait to try this out in the field.

      PRO--Comfortable grip; strong, sharp blade; amazing fire striker.

      CON--The polypropylene sheath feels like a toy.

      Please check back in approximately two months for my field report.

      I would like to thank Industrial Revolution and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2012
        Derek,

        I don't have an arrival notice for you. Can you please tell me when you received the product?

        Thanks,

        Here is my initial report for the Industrial Revolution Swedish FireKnife.

        > http://bit.ly/IYL8c8

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2012
          Sorry Kathy! I received the knife yesterday, Wednesday May 2, 2012.

          Best,

          ~derek