APPLICATION - Big Agnes Jack Rabbit Tent - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 Tent. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA
      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies. I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer. I carry a light pack, mostly water. I make shelter with a tarp whenever possible to reduce my pack weight from my two person tent. I enjoy day hikes, but I am known to spend as many as 5 days out. Temperatures range from below freezing to above 100 F (38 C), and elevations from 2,000 ft to 14,000 ft ( 610 m to 4, 300 m). I bag a mountain almost every weekend, and I walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Test Plan:
      I plan to test the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit Tent extensively. I will be backpacking nearly every weekend over the next several months. Three to four trips will be spent in multiple National Forests throughout Colorado. Several weekends will be spent in Tonto National Forest and Coconino National Forest in northern Arizona. Elevation will be from 4,000 ft to 14,000 ft (1,219 m to 4,300 m), and I am sure to see lots of weather fluctuations from heat to snow and rain.

      The Jack Rabbit Tent weighs half of what my current 2 person tent weighs (which is ironically named the thru-hiker), and looks incredibly simple. Weight is one of my main battles as I work to complete long backpacking trips. I would love to test this tent over consecutive 20 mile (32 km) days. I will report back on its comfort while in my pack, durability while getting tossed and rolled in many different terrains, and overall enjoyment to use.

      The double doors and vestibules look like great features to make life on the trail enjoyable for two people. I also like that the tent can be used with just the fly and footprint to create an ultra-light sleeping system, this is something I am very eager to test. There are many options of footprints available on the website at an additional cost, and I think the cost may be worth it to me. I look forward to testing the strength of the aluminum stakes that Big Agnes claims as superlight, as well as the hub/pole system they claim will make set up quick and easy. I am curious to know how much the reflective guyline and reflective webbing will help me to set up in the dark. I tend to make camp late when I am trying to cover a long distance.

      Current test load: Tasc Performance Tee (LTR stage), Black Diamond Axiom 40 (FR stage), MontBell Anorak (FR stage), Tasc Set (FR stage), SmartWool Wind Briefs (FR stage).
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 10
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: Zephyros 2 Tent (I would prefer the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit, but would be happy to test either tent)
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!