Application: Zephyros Tent- Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 8:43 AM
      1) Please accept my application to test the Terra Nova Zephyros Tent. I have
      read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply
      with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
      is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use
      requirements as this is my busiest hiking time of the year.

      ------
      2) Bio

      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Salida, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being
      involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer
      camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain,
      although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take
      one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
      kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
      trips as well.

      ------
      3) Test Plan

      May - September: Over the testing period I will take roughly two trips per
      month ranging from 1-2 nights. I have an aggressive goal to "finish"
      climbing the Colorado 14ers this year. I'll hike to the top of 14,000 ft.
      (4,267 m) peaks just about every month of the year where snow can linger
      into July (sometimes year round). My plans will take me to several base
      camp locations near several peaks where I will hike, summit, descend and
      repeat. I'll see snow, high winds and temperatures as low as 0 F (-18 C)
      but perhaps as high as 90 F (16 C) along steep trails, scree slopes and all
      sorts of nasty environments. I usually go camping in Utah and New Mexico in
      the summer as well, but may have an opportunity to backpack in Wisconsin
      this year. I have been primarily using free standing tents for the past 15
      years, but after borrowing a solo tent with a similar single pole design I
      would be extremely interested in this tent. It will add to the challenges of
      pitching a tent in high alpine environments, where I generally camp on
      rocky, uneven terrain. Additionally, I will be car camping with my family
      frequently during the testing period. This will add to usage, but not
      necessarily backpacking. Weight, ease of setup, ventilation and durability
      are all important to me.

      ------
      4) Current Tests and Stage (4):

      - Big Agnes Grouse Mt Sleeping Bag (LTR due 5/8/12)

      - Ribzwear Ribz Front Pack (FR due 5/15/12)

      - Big Agnes Helinox Passport Trekking Poles (FR due 6/5/12)

      - Gregory Savant 58 Backpack (FR due 6/12/12)

      Status Page: <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm>

      5) OR's completed in past year: 3

      Link to all reports/reviews:
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin

      ------

      6) Other Applications Pending (1):

      - Big Agnes jack Rabbit SL2 Tent: NOTE: I would prefer the Terra Nova if I
      had a choice.

      ------

      7) Other BGT Duties: (2)
      - Monitor for Eco Vessel Bottle