FR - Dual Eyewear SL2 - Lori Pontious

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2012
      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/6v366f3

      Text:

      Field Report

      Field Conditions

      I have been using the glasses almost continuously since they arrived.
      The week I received them, I took them on our winter training for
      Search and Rescue for three days, navigating and searching in the
      snow. I have also taken them on dayhikes weekly, on backpacking trips
      to Henry Coe State Park (twice, for a total of three nights out) and
      Yosemite National Park for an overnight on Dewey Point in the snow.
      I've also worn them on Search and Rescue trainings in March and
      April. The glasses were part of my uniform while driving a go-cart
      around a local park helping with the implementation of the annual
      March of Dimes event. I have taken them on two fishing trips to the
      Kings River and gone snowshoeing with them. I took them with me on a
      camping trip in Pinnacles National Monument. I keep them in my car
      and use them on my daily commute, and have at times put them on
      indoors when I needed to read something and did not have my reading
      glasses with me.

      The glasses have been subjected to temperatures as low as 15F (-9 C)
      and have been used in the rain. Since spring is here, they have also
      been in the car baking as the usual Fresno area warming has sent
      temperatures rising to 90F (32 C).

      Observations

      On my very first field use of the glasses, I dropped them while
      getting out of the car and promptly stepped on them while wearing my
      winter boots. After a few moments of shock, I picked up the glasses
      and discovered that the lens had snapped out of the frame, and re-
      inserting it fixed the problem. It was a good thing they landed in
      snow! The lenses didn't have a scratch on them and the frame was
      flexible enough that it didn't snap.

      IMAGE
      With the unintended durability test out of the way, I proceeded to
      wear them every time I went outdoors. I wore them on a number of
      trips and noticed that under some conditions I experienced a little
      fogging, but with the application of Cat Crap (an anti-fogging
      substance rubbed on the lenses of glasses to prevent condensation)
      that diminished.

      I have used the bifocals to read maps, GPS screens, books, labels,
      instruction sheets, and anything else I've had occasion to look at in
      the course of my daily activities. I find that while hiking in rough
      sections of trail, I am bending my chin down in an attempt to see
      over the bifocal, which puts my focal point uncomfortably close and
      interferes with my perception of obstacles in the trail. Sometimes
      it's easier just to take the glasses off for a while. While fishing,
      the glasses are a great help; I can tie fishing knots easily now
      without having to take off my sun protection.

      IMAGE
      One of my problems with most glasses is the pressure on my nose;
      heavy glasses can trigger a sinus headache. I have not had this issue
      with the SL2s. They are light as a feather, and I hardly notice them
      while I'm wearing them. The glasses also stay put while I'm active. I
      haven't had any issues with them sliding or falling off. Nor do they
      pinch my head, as I have experienced before with sunglasses.

      I continue to like the glasses more and more. They are in more or
      less the same condition as when I got them, without signs of wear. I
      will continue to use the SL2s on my hiking adventures, and I will be
      back in a couple of months with my long term report. Thanks to Dual
      Eyewear and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Dual
      Eyewear SL2 glasses.

      Likes:

      * Light weight

      * Bifocal

      * More durable than I expected!

      Dislikes:

      * bifocal interferes on rough sections of trail
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2012
        > HTML: http://tinyurl.com/6v366f3
        >
        > Text:
        >
        > Field Report

        Hi Lori...

        Thank you for your Dual Eyewear SL2 Sunglass report. It's been a crazy
        week and I didn't see your report until today. Next time please remember
        to CC or BCC your editor directly. Thanks!

        Try as I might, I could only find one tiny edit for you too take a look
        at. Quite the nice report, and the editing was a piece of cake.

        When you are satisfied with your report please upload it to the proper
        folder. And also please remember to delete the copy in the test folder.

        Thanks again!

        James E. Triplett
        Dual Eyewear SL2 Monitor

        The glasses have been subjected to temperatures as low as 15F (-9 C) and
        have been used in the rain.
        [EDIT] Please put a space between "15" and "F".