Application to test - BA Jack Rabbit tent - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Jackrabbit 2 tent. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 51
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Moorhead
      State: Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: May 1, 2012

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I am very familiar with the Jackrabbit 2 tent as I owned and reviewed the tents that its design is based on. I will discuss the design in the IR.

      In the FR and LTR I will comment on the design's usability. I expect it to see a lot of rain as Minnesota gets a lot of it, including high winds at times. I expect to use it as a solo tent, but I usually do use 2P tents solo because of my size.

      As may be seen by my reviews, shelters are my favorite thing to write about. While I have been able to participate in a few shelter tests series I have 3 times as many reviews of shelters I have purchased (including 6 from Big Agnes) just because I love tents. If chosen for this one I shall write about all the standard things to look at and for with a shelter.

      I am recovering from a very bad ankle/leg injury and as soon as the doctor releases me I plan on trying a camping trip or two in May with limited day-hikes from a car-accessed campsite to evaluate my hiking ability. I plan on starting backpacking trips again in June. I know they will have to be very limited as far as distance. I should get one or two per month through the summer. The temps I expect it to see could range from the 30's F to as high as 90 F by the time the test ends.

      I have one test in progress at this time. The Injinji socks are in FR stage.

      I have no other applications in at this time.

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Moderator, Editor, Mentor, and Test Monitor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written around 150 Owner Reviews, probably a dozen in the past year.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray