APPLICATION: BA Jack Rabbit Tent - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2012
      Andrea,

      Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 tent.  I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables.  My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:    Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  47
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 10.5 medium width
      Email address:  bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country:  Idaho Falls, ID, U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25.  After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.  I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children.  For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly every month, year-round.  We vary our experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow.  I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho at approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea level.  Outings during the test period will include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft (1,433 m) and 12,668 feet (3,861 m).  Potential destinations include the Portneuf Range near Pocatello, Idaho; Craters of the Moon National Monument near Arco, Idaho; the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area near Idaho Falls, Idaho; and the Palisades and Teton Valley areas.  I also hope to use the Jack Rabbit SL2 on a multi-day backpacking trips in Idaho’s Sawtooth Range and the Teton Crest trail.  Weather during the test period should include wind, rain, snow with average temperatures in the higher elevations ranging from lows near freezing to highs near 88 F / (31 C).

      Proposed Test Plan:

      I am intrigued by BA claim the Jack Rabbit SL2 is a “superight backpacking tent.”  Will I find it to be superight for me?  I am also very interested in the Fast Fly option.  If selected for this test, I would purchase the footprint (if not supplied by BA) to test the lighter weight Fast Fly option.   I am a big guy and am interested in how will this tent will accommodate two full-size guys.  I really like tents with double doors and vestibules—perfect for larger individuals such as me and my hiking buddies.  How well will this test withstand the wind; will it be strong and stable?  How well will it shed moisture; both snow and rain?  Finally, I am eager to test the durability and overall utility of this tent.

      Current Tests:
      -    Kombi Guide Gloves – LTR due 5/8/12
      -    Yakima SkyBox 16S – Field Testing
      -    Garmont Zenith Mid GTX boots – Field Testing

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:
      -    none

      BGT Involvement:
      -     Test Call Manager
      -     Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my Owner Reviews and Test Reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl

      Thanks to both Big Agnes and BGT for considering me for this test.

      Ryan