TEST CALL -Nerd Herd Alert!

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 8:53 AM
      Are you the kind of backpacker that likes to keep your GPS within reach at
      all times? Or maybe you like to have your smartphone handy as well!
      Perhaps like me, you love it when a manufacturer includes an accessory pouch
      but wonder what, besides a sample-sized energy bar would fit in it. Well,
      Backcountry Solutions is offering up the Geek Pocket to three lucky testers
      who have more gear than pockets or larger electronics they wish to carry.

      The Geek Pocket has a waterproof exterior and a fleece lining to keep those
      delicate items safe. This item is also part of the new 2-Report series.
      Still four months, but two reports only; an IR and an LTR.

      Check it out here:

      <http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/id17.html>
      http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/id17.html

      I'm looking for short apps that have the following:
      1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      2. Your bio, including any measurements specific to the test
      3. A brief test plan; just enough to demonstrate that you understand the
      product and where/how you will be testing it.
      4. A list of what you are now testing and a link to tester page
      5. Number of ORs in the past 12 months (not including your initial 2)
      6. Any apps you have outstanding. Please note if you have a preference if
      there is one that conflicts with, like other packs.
      7. Any additional BGT roles you play (mentor, monitor, etc.)

      Newbie limit does NOT apply (great item for you new testers!)
      US shipping is included.
      Nancy is the mod

      Test Plans need to demonstrate minimum backpacking use requirements (5+
      nights)

      Note: This is a 2-part test series. IR and LTR only (LTR due after 4
      months)

      Also, don't forget to cc me at bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com so your app
      doesn't get lost!

      Please include 'Backcountry Solutions Geek Pocket' in the subject line.

      This call will close May 7 at 11:00 PM MST.
      Good luck!
      Bretter

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 10:34 AM
        Hello, my name is Mike and I am a nerd –

        Please accept my application to test the Backcountry Solutions Geek Pocket.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
        with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
        is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Age: 48
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6’01” (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)

        Email Address: mosack(at)earthlinkDOTnet
        San Diego, California, USA

        Date: Apr 30, 2012

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and weeklong or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping the western United States and Canada, to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and love trying new items. Quality and reliability of equipment carried is paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: Yes, my name is Mike and I am a nerd. If I am selected, this Geek Pocket will mesh right in to my packing style and upcoming 12 step program. I always run with a combination of items which depending on the trip, could include a GPS, 2-way Radio, glasses and/or glass cases, camera, PLB/Spot device, cell phone, snacks, and extra batteries. I have a lot of experience in utilizing add-on pouches to my gear, as it is similar to my military equipment. I have tested multiple items at the same time in the past with success and I expect that I could add this to my load without difficulty. My plan would be to see if the Geek Pocket stands up to the company claims and my ability to identify and test its capabilities.

        I would like to test the following…

        1.. Is the Geek Pocket’s quality of construction similar to the manufacturer’s claims?
        2.. Is it easy to attach or will I need a left-handed monkey wrench to get it on my gear?
        3.. Is the size adequate for this Geek Pocket and will it hold common items I might want to carry in it?
        4.. Does it hold my items securely or is there a chance they could fall out? What if I am upside down or in a river?
        5.. Is the Fleece lining adequate to keep my screen/s from being scratched?
        6.. Does the Geek Pocket drain if it had been immersed in water?
        7.. Will the color and construction hold up under the southern California sun?
        8.. How stabile is the Geek Pocket when it is attached to my pack? Will it be annoying as it flops around or not?

        I will have standard backpacking and hiking trips from base camp, where appropriate. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Geek Pocket during all of my upcoming backpacking trips. I hope to even get it near the ocean, checking if exposure to saltwater mist will have any negative effects as well.

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Applications submitted and awaiting selection:

        1. I applied for the Zephyros tent as well. The Zephyros would be my first choice if possible.

        2. Jack Rabbit Tent

        Current tests and waiting for items to arrive:

        Princeton Tec Spectrum headlamp

        Solo Stove

        Garmont Zenith Mid GTX Boots

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Link to my reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack

        I have completed 0 owner reviews within the past year.

        Labors of love – I am an OR editor and test monitor.

        Thank you for your time and consideration

        Mike Mosack

      • Coy Boy
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30 1:56 PM
          now we know why bgt reviews are the best. I have a question and could not find the answer on the manufacturers site or the 2 reviews listed under media reviews. And one of BGT's main report requirements would have answered it. How big is it? My Pen camera measures 5 inches wide, 3 inches tall and 3.4 inches front to back with the lens attached. Looking for a good field case for it right now but not interested if the camera with lens attached wont fit. Just from looking at the pictures it looked like it would hold just the camera but hoping it will hold both.

          Coy Boy

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...> wrote:

          > Are you the kind of backpacker that likes to keep your GPS within reach at
          > all times? Or maybe you like to have your smartphone handy as well!
          > Perhaps like me, you love it when a manufacturer includes an accessory pouch
          > but wonder what, besides a sample-sized energy bar would fit in it. Well,
          > Backcountry Solutions is offering up the Geek Pocket to three lucky testers
          > who have more gear than pockets or larger electronics they wish to carry.
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30 2:00 PM
            You might want to contact Backcountry Solutions customer service and just ask as a consumer...

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30 4:55 PM
              good idea...and I got a reply. for anyone needing to know, "the pocket dimensions are approximately 1.5"deep x 2.75"wide x 6.5" high to front edge (7.5" high to back)." She said it would not fit my camera. I thanked her and said it was a neat looking pouch and maybe would be offered in a bigger size down the road.

              Coy Boy