Initial Report - Gregory Savant 50 - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2012
      Hi Ralph,
      Please find my IR for your editing pleasure!
      Best,
      Mark

      http://tinyurl.com/IR-Greg58-MET

      GREGORY SAVANT 58
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      April 03, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain.  For backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2 - 5 km/h).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:  Gregory Mountain Products
      Year of Manufacture: unkn (assume 2012)
      Manufacturer's Website: www.gregorypacks.com
      Size: Large
      MSRP: US $ not listed on mfr's site
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 14 oz (1.76 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 13 oz (1.73 kg)
      Additional information from manufacturer's website:
      - The largest pack in the "All Mountain" pack line
      - Intuition 3D Suspension
      - Water-resistant roll top style top pocket
      - Large horseshoe zipper access to main pack body
      - Breathable, molded foam back-panel, harnesses and waist-belt
      - Side stash, zippered quick access pocket
      - External hydration access
      - Side and bottom compression
      - Dual axe/tool attachment points
      - Top lid security pocket
      - Integrated, color-matched rain cover
      - 4 mm gauge wire used for the wishbone internal frame suspension
      - 10 mm EVA foam for waist-belt
      - 12 mm EVA foam for harness
      Photo courtesy of Gregory Packs

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      My initial impression is that this is a feature packed product ready to play hard!  I have been seriously considering a mid-range capacity pack (the one size I didn't have in my collection) and when this test came up, I had to jump on it! The pack appears to be very well designed and constructed with a variety of outdoor pursuits in mind.  My outdoor interests include: tackling Colorado's "14ers," rock climbing, snow climbing and backpacking.  The various interests usually require multiple pieces of gear and several packs, but with the Savant 58, I am hopeful that this pack will meet the needs of each.
      Starting from the bottom of the pack and working up:
      - The bottom layer of the pack utilizes a material that appears to be extremely strong and durable, ballistic even.
      - The waist-belt is nicely padded and contains two zippered pouches (I like this as my current day pack only has one which I use for my camera but I would prefer to have another for a GPS).
      - Two loops for tools such as an ice axe, with corresponding velcro straps to keep the tools in place.
      - Mesh pockets line each side of the pack.
      - Compression straps - yes this pack has them! Seven in all.
      - The outer portion of the back of the pack is a velcro secured compartment which holds the rain cover and is equipped with 8 gear attachment points on the back of the pack.
      - Under this outer compartment is a large horseshoe shaped zipper which provides easy access to the large main compartment of the pack.
      - The top of the pack is fitted with a water resistant cover/dual compartment that also serves as the upper portion of the compression system.
      - Gregory's  suspension system is well known as one of the best in the industry and the Savant 58 carries on the tradition with their Intuition 3D system.
      - The pack is hydration compatible and includes external access - simply unclasp three fasteners and the bladder is readily accessible - much easier than most packs I have seen!
      Here the Savant 58 and its corresponding rain cover are shown side by side.
      This picture shows the bottom of the pack and the velcro enclosure which contains the rain cover and a restraining leash (cool feature to keep from losing the rain cover!).
      I stuffed the largest pillow I own in the main compartment in an effort to "puff out" the pack (there was still lots of room left!).  The horseshoe zipper is opened to show the fantastic access into the main compartment, as well as the tool loops and waist pockets.
      Having been in the military, one of the things I found really useful was the moly-loop system on flack-jackets.  These enabled soldiers to carry a ton of gear.  Gregory has done an neat job of incorporating this design into the pack.  So often I find that I can't fit all of my gear inside the pack (snowshoes etc.) and I have longed to find a pack that incorporated the moly-loop system for attaching gear.
      I have found that my other packs did not make it easy to secure the other end of my tools to the pack.  Some designs have elastic cords which require additional effort or manipulation to keep everything secure.  Gregory's inclusion of the velcro straps should correct this problem.
      So many of the packs I have owned require multiple zippers to insert/remove the bladder - why?  The Savant 58 merely requires unclasping three quick connect fasteners and easy access is obtained, well done!

      This pack really appears to have a lot of the features I want and need.  I consume a lot of water so a hydration compatible pack is essential.  I have been using my 36 liter pack for most of my day hikes, but found that it lacked a good place to tie items on the outside (ex: snowshoes) nor did it provide a good place to affix a climbing rope or climbing protection (aka: "pro").  Certainly, the 36 liter pack was too small for my style of backpacking to take it on any type of planned overnight adventure.  One of my smaller hydration packs has an integrated rain cover which I really liked but is missing from the 36 liter pack.  The Savant 58 has all of these features and more!

      TRYING IT OUT

      When selecting the size for the pack, I altered my normal approach of finding a local retailer and trying it on first and opted to follow the online steps for size selection.  With some assistance, I measured my torso at 19" which fell right in the middle of the chart for a "Medium."  The pack arrived in the size requested, however, the fit didn't seem right.  I then visited a local retailer and confirmed my fears that I did in fact, need the next size up.  Regardless of who is to blame, the superb customer service at Gregory readily exchanged the product and I am off and running!

      SUMMARY

      I am really looking forward to testing this pack.  It has so many of the features that I have wanted in a pack that, if I didn't know better, Gregory was reading my mind!
      Pros:
      - Tons of features!
      - Superior suspension system
      - Great places to tie external gear
      - Hydration compatible
      - Tool loops with corresponding velcro tie downs
      - Easy access to main compartment (both from top and horseshoe zipper)!
      Cons:
      - none!

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
        Ummm, Mark,

        Mike Mosack is your Monitor for this test.

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
          Hi Mark,

          It looks like you have a pretty cool pack there to play with. I like your photos as they help illustrate the pack’s features very clearly.

          I’ll be your editor for this series. My standard edit format is as follows -

          EDIT – Must change

          edit – I recommend this change, but in the end it is your call if you agree

          comment – just that.

          So here we go...

          EDIT - The manufacturer’s website “link” does not seem to be clickable or hyperlinked. Would you fix this please?

          edit - You’ve been at this longer than I, I think, so I’ll leave this one to you if you agree. With our international readers, I believe it better if we avoid use of abbreviations like “mfr’s” or “unkn” and actually spell these out.

          EDIT – Please add the available colors of this pack and which one it is that you are testing.

          EDIT - I’ve recently been reminded to ensure we are not copying and pasting bullet points from the manufacturer’s website. The preference is that we identify the product’s features using our own words instead inasmuch as we are able and to refrain from utilizing the website except minimally when the technical aspects of the products or its wording is more appropriately used by the manufacturer. So if you would, please remove the section that was taken directly from the website and replace with your own descriptions of the product features.

          EDIT – You refer to “Velcro” many times within your report. Unless it specifically says it is the brand name “Velcro”, please list it as hook and loop tape or hook and pile tape throughout.

          “Having been in the military, one of the things I found really useful was the moly-loop system on flack-jackets.”

          EDIT – This should be “MOLLE”. Please fix this throughout the report.

          EDIT – Please change spelling of flack-jackets to flak jackets

          Comment – As you know, MOLLE gear is ingrained in those of us who have served in the military in the last 20 years or so, but there are many worldwide who might not have any idea what the MOLLE system actually is. You might want to add a line or two to describe it so readers can understand what you are finding good about the pack. MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment system incorporating a series of sewn webbing straps that run parallel to each other in rows and enable by design, compatible gear to be routed via an interlaced or weaved pattern for attachment onto a pack, vest, etc. – or words to that effect if that helps.

          “These enabled soldiers to carry a ton of gear. Gregory has done an neat job…”

          EDIT – Gregory has done a neat job… Please change “an” to “a”.

          That’s it. Please be sure you delete the test file copy when you upload. If you want me to take another look feel free to send it to me although it is not required.

          Thanks and see you in two months

          Mike