Application - Garmont Amica - Erin Foudy

  • erinfoudy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 6:05 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Garmont Amica boot. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5 I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Info:
      Name: Erin Foudy
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'11'' (1.8 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email address: erinfoudyATyahooDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking while working for the National Park service ten years ago. I have been a backcountry ranger/law enforcement ranger and served on search and rescue crews. I typically take two or more camping trips a month, year round. I appreciate light weight, but am not obsessed by it. I often carry a 30 lb (14 kg) pack and stay out from three to nine days at a time. I also enjoy day trips with only water on my back. I take trips to Colorado and Montana in the summertime and enjoy the outdoors there as well.

      Test Plan:
      The Garmont Amica boot is described on the Garmont website as a boot offering stability, traction and confidence. If given the chance to test this boot I will rigorously use it in many different environments. As someone with extremely weak ankles I like that this boot is full height. However, I am curious about Garmont's claim that the boot provides stability and support but at the same time "inconceivable lightness." I love the idea of a very lightweight boot but not at the cost of support. I would definitely want to ensure that this boot can truly deliver both a lightweight and supportive option. When choosing a boot I almost always go for one that is waterproof as I hike in a variety of locations and would rather be prepared for extremes. The Amica is listed as water repellent not waterproof, I would like to see if I notice a big difference in comfort and performance versus my waterproof boots. I also wonder with all the mesh on the Amica if I would have a problem with sediment getting inside the boot. In all, the Amica looks like a great boot with some very appealing qualities; I would be very happy if given the opportunity to test this boot.

      I tend to travel a great deal and have big plans for the upcoming spring and summer. The Garmont Amica boot will be tested in many areas of Arizona; it is one of my goals to accomplish as much of the Arizona National Scenic Trail as possible beginning in the Chihuahuan Desert of the Mexico/Arizona border and ending in Northern Arizona at the Arizona/Utah border. While attempting to reach this goal I also plan to hike and backpack in many of the mountain ranges of Northern Arizona as well as the Grand Canyon. In addition, my family and I plan to do some extensive hiking and backpacking on our annual summer trip to Colorado. While in Colorado we will be mainly in and around Rocky Mountain National Park as well Pike National Forest in Colorado Springs.

      I have 2 current tests: My Inspire Wear Bra (Field testing), Astral 40 Pack (Initial reporting).
      My tester status page is at: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1900.htm
      I have 3 OR's uploaded to the BGT site.
      My OR's can be viewed at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/erinfoudy
      I have 3 applications pending for the Ultra Light Tritan Filtration Bottle, the COCOON Expedition Liner, and the Ahnu Montara boot.
      I have no additional BGT responsibilities.

      I applied for the Ahnu Montara boot as well and it would be my preference to test the Ahnu Montara boot. I would be delighted, of course, to test either of these boots.

      Thank you!