IR GREGORY SAGE 55 PACK WOMEN'S Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
      http://tinyurl.com/7w6h79s
      [NOTE TO EDITOR: I understand field info should not be included in an IR, but I had a short weekend trip planned, so I used that opportunity to try out the pack in the field. This info is included in the "trying it out" section".]

      GREGORY SAGE 55 PACK WOMEN'S
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      April 03, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 55
      LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for four years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gregory Mountain Products
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gregorypacks.com" LINK TEXT = "Gregory website">>
      MSRP: $199.00 US
      Listed Weight: 3 lbs. 10 oz (1.6 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lbs. 12 oz (1.7 kg)
      Capacity: 59 L (3600 ci)
      Size tested: Medium
      Sizes available: Extra Small, Small and Medium
      Color tested: Rosewood red
      Colors available: Rosewood red, Tule blue and Cyprus green
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "packed">>

      Product Features:
      o Built specifically for the female anatomy
      o Constructed with Ripstop nylon/polyester
      o Intuition 3D Suspension
      o Water-resistant roll top style top pocket with waterproof zipper
      o Internal security pocket
      o Breathable, molded foam backpanel, harnesses and waistbelt
      o Side stash zippered quick access pocket adjacent to right side mesh pocket
      o Zippered stash pockets on both side hipbelts
      o External hydration access for the internal hydration pocket
      o Large horseshoe zipper access to main pack body
      o Dual side and bottom compression straps
      o Dual axe/tool attachment points
      o Integrated, color-matched raincover
      o 4 mm gauge wire used for the wishbone internal frame suspension
      o 10 mm EVA foam for waistbelt
      o 12 mm EVA foam for harness

      Available Sizes:
      XS is 51 L (3112 ci ), weighs 3 lbs 0 oz (1.3 kg) and fits 14-16 in (35-40 cm) waist
      S is 55 L (3356 ci), weighs 3 lbs 6 oz (1.55 kg) and fits 16-18 in (40-45 cm) waist
      M is 59 L (3600 ci), weighs 3 lbs 10 oz (1.6 kg) and fits 18-20 in (45-50 cm) waist

      Product Overview:
      The Gregory Sage 55 Women's backpack is a mid-size internal frame pack specifically shaped for the female anatomy. The pack can be converted to a daypack on multi-day trips using the compression straps. There is a large internal hydration pocket with tube loops on both sides of the shoulder straps. There is no need for tube ports because the hydration pocket is accessed from an opening adjacent to the main pack drawstring opening. The pack includes an integrated color matched raincover in its own outside pocket with a hook-and-loop closure tab located just below the outside front pocket. The front panel horseshoe shaped zipper appears to be waterproof but has not yet been tested. There are hook-and-loop pole straps on both sides. There are two bottom compression straps, two bottom loops, two mesh side pockets and an ample outside front pocket.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      This is one sweet pack in a pleasant dark burgundy color. It arrived in good condition wrapped in plastic in its shipping box. The pack has a lot of features that appear to be well thought out for comfort, versatility and function. This pack is designed for long weekend summer trips due to its mid-weight size.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The pack tag indicates the comfort zone for packed weight is 35 lbs (16 kg). The tag also indicates the pack has top and front access points. The tag does not indicate the ability to adjust this pack to a day pack, but it is possible using the adjustment compression straps.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Since I had a trip planned, I used the pack on a weekend trip to Joshua Tree covering approximately 11 miles (17 km) with temperatures of 80 F (44 C) during the day and 50 F (27 C) at night. There was no perspiration on my back due to the breathable molded foam back panel. My pack weight was 28 lbs (12 kg). The Intuition 3D suspension kept the waistbelt from shifting. The pack was comfortable to carry with this weight. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "3D Intuition suspension">>

      Since this pack is a little smaller than the pack I have been using recently, I was concerned about fitting all of my gear. My concern evaporated quickly in the packing process. The front pocket is large enough for a rain jacket and a light fleece for quick access. A few snack bars can easily fit into each of the waistbelt pockets. I like how compact the pack rides on my back. It is no higher than my shoulders when fully packed making it very maneurverable while bouldering and dodging overgrown bushes and tree branches.
      The top pocket is sewn onto the pack body eliminating the ability to expand the pack above the main pack body or to detach it for use as a daypack, but the pack easily converted to a daypack by cinching the compression straps tighter. It was not necessary to use the bottom compression straps since all of my gear fit inside the pack. I will test these straps on my future trips.

      The water bottle caught on the side compression strap when being pushed down into the side mesh pocket. The water bottle in the side mesh pocket sat too high on my waist to be easily accessible to me while wearing the pack.

      SUMMARY

      So far I am very impressed with the features of this pack. It appears to have everything needed for a variety of trips with nothing extra to add weight. The pack is very compact, comfortable to wear, versatile and should accommodate a variety of trips.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Check back in two months to see how the Sage 55 pack performed in the field. Thank you to BackpackGearTest.org and Gregory Mountain Products for the opportunity to be a part of this test series.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2012
        Hi Frances,

        Here are my edits. My standard format is this -

        EDIT – must change

        edit – I recommend this but in the end it is entirely your call

        Comment – just that

        It appears that this is just your third test item so bear with me if I seem wordy. I just want to be as clear as I can. Most of these are just comments which are things that I’ve seen in edits of my reports I’ve submitted previously. I recently tested the Gregory Z45 pack and loved it so I think you will like yours as well. Since backpacks are often the most complex items of gear we test, maybe look to add more info into the FR to discuss how easily or difficult the pack adjustments are to get your pack comfortable to you, photos of its use as a day pack and anything you can expound on with regard to particular features, especially the technically named ones specific to this pack as mentioned on the website, warranty information if any too would be appreciated. Packs just have a lot of features that can be written about.

        Comment - I’ve been told previously to use the manufacturer’s website spelled out as the displayed link like this www.gregorypacks.com rather than renaming it as in your example of “Gregory website”

        Comment/edit – The section under “Product features” it appears to be a copy and paste of bullet headings so you might consider giving props to the website as the source within your report. Additionally, the manufacturer’s (and your) use of “backpanel” I think is an incorrect typo making it one word but either way, you later separate this into two words under the “Trying it out” section. I would change one so they match for consistency

        “There is a large internal hydration pocket with tube loops on both sides of the shoulder straps.”

        edit – this is a little confusing to me. Are there tube loops on both sides of each of the shoulder straps or is there a tube loop on or near each shoulder strap or area? Could you describe this a little more clearly? Photos help too

        “It arrived in good condition wrapped in plastic in its shipping box.”

        Comment – generally, we do not describe how the item was shipped, packed, etc, in the shipping box but as with anything, there are exceptions.

        “The tag does not indicate the ability to adjust this pack to a day pack, but it is possible using the adjustment compression straps.”

        Comment – The list seems endless as to what might “not” be listed on a tag… I thought it might be better to know where instead you got the info that the pack could be used as a day pack and how – just a thought.

        “Since I had a trip planned, I used the pack on a weekend trip to Joshua Tree…”

        EDIT – Please add location where Joshua Tree is for our international readers who might not be familiar. Maybe Joshua Tree National Park in southeastern California, USA or similar, as one idea…

        “It is no higher than my shoulders when fully packed making it very maneurverable…”

        EDIT – spelling of maneuverable

        Regarding your image foot note/displayed title

        edit – For consistency with the manufacturer’s website, I would change the image title/file name to “Intuition 3D Suspension” so it matches and is in the same order and Suspension is capitalized.

        “The water bottle in the side mesh pocket sat too high on my waist to be easily accessible to me while wearing the pack.”
        Comment – You mention two separate issues with regard to your personal water bottle…maybe describe the type of water bottle you used so readers can judge by comparison to their particular water bottle – just a thought

        “The pack is very compact, comfortable to wear, versatile and should accommodate a variety of trips.”

        Comment – personally, I would add a comma in between “versatile” and “and” to look like this - The pack is very compact, comfortable to wear, versatile, and should accommodate a variety of trips.

        That’s it! I would offer to have another look before you post this too if you like – hope you enjoy your pack and see you again in two months!

        Mike