FR - tasc Performance V Long Sleeve - Kara S.

  • K S
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2012
      Below is the text for my edited report as well as the url.

      Thanks,

      Kara

      http://tinyurl.com/7m7zk2u

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      This top as been worn all over Arizona, from as far south as Tucson to as far north as Page. Conditions have ranged from sunny and warm in the mid 80s (~ 30 C) to windy and cool (40 F, 4 C). The trails have ranged from well established trails to bushwhacking up the side of a mountain with many thorny bushes and cacti to navigate through. The elevations have ranged from 1,100' to over 7,000' (335 m to over 2134 m). Conditions have always been dry as it does not rain often in Arizona.  The top has been worn for a 2-day backpacking trip, 5 days of technical canyoneering, and 3 full day hikes.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      In addition to a 2 day backpacking trip, I have worn the top  day hiking, technical and non-technical canyoneering, and rock climbing. Since I have been doing as much off trail hiking as I have been doing on-trail hiking, this shirt has been in contact with the numerous types of thorny bushes and cacti Arizona has to offer on almost every trip.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Small hole in the on the back of the right shoulder.">> I have only found one small snag and noticed a small hole in the shoulder area. Considering that this shirt has logged well over 50 miles (81 km) throughout the Arizona desert and mountains, with many of those being off-trail, I think that this is very minimal wear. I am also happy that the hole has not started to fray or run.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Seam wear on the sleeves.">> The seam threads have started to pill a bit and become fuzzy looking. However, this does not interfere with the performance of the top. The seams do not look like they are coming loose, but it looks like the type of threat used is prone to pilling.

      I normally wear this top over a tank top base layer and under a fleece jacket if the weather is cool. I find this top to be light enough that I don't mind wearing it over the tank top for sun protection on warm days. It also wicks well and breathes wonderfully, which is good on strenuous hikes when I am hot, but don't feel like stopping to take the shirt off.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The shirt in action">>No matter how much of a sweat I work up hiking up the side of a mountain, this shirt itself does not seem to smell. I have not found it to retain any unpleasant odor after washing. I just wash the top in cool water on the normal cycle with all natural biodegradable detergent and vinegar and either air dry it outside or in a dryer on low heat. So far, I have not noticed any fading of the color or warping of the shape. It has not shrunk despite being washed and dried multiple times.

      I love the feel of the top as it is very soft and silky next to the skin. Additionally, it has great stretch. This has been important as most of my hikes lately have involved bouldering and down climbing. I never feel like my movement is constricted by the top.

      While the top is made of a knit fabric, I have not noticed much pilling of the fabric. There are no signs of wear from the backpack hip belt or the harness I use for climbing and rappelling.

      SUMMARY

      This shirt has performed amazingly well to date. It is my go-to shirt for all outdoor actives. The top has retained its shape and fit and has not shrunk. I have been impressed with the top's ability to hold up to Arizona thorny bushes while hiking and trail blazing. I look forward to seeing how the top does over the next few months.