IR - Injinji Mini-Crews - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi Curt,

      Here is the IR for the toesocks. The HTML may be found here:

      Injinji Original Weight Mini-Crew Toesocks
      Test Series by Raymond Estrella

      INITIAL REPORT - April 02, 2012

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: North Western Minnesota, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 215 lb (97.50 kg)
      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, Minnesota, and many western states. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly ultralight, I try to be as light as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot evening meals. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or my twin children.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Injinji Footwear Inc.
      Web site: www.injinji.com
      Product: Mini-Crew
      Year manufactured: 2011
      MSRP: US $12.00
      Size reviewed: Large (Men's 11-13, Women's 12+ US)
      Color tested: White (also own Black and Gray)
      Weight listed: N/A
      Actual weight: 1.8 oz (51 g)
      (Photo to right courtesy Injinji)

      Product Description

      The Injinji Original Weight Mini Crew toesocks (hereafter called the mini-crews or socks) are socks with something different from all the other socks I have. Well five things different to be accurate. That is the toe sleeves each one has.

      Injinji does not call them toe sleeves though. They call it an Anatomical Interface System. Here is their explanation of it. The "Anatomical Interface System (AIS) is engineered to separate your toes with a thin, anti-friction membrane that is both lightweight and breathable. Seamless in construction, the tetratsok forms to every contour of your foot. This allows for true restriction free movement from your heel to five toes, encourages healthy circulation, and eliminates skin on skin contact between your toes to prevent blisters from developing."

      The socks, part of the company's Performance series, are made from Invista's COOLMAX fabric to the tune of 70%. 25% is listed as nylon with the final 5% being Lycra. The material is soft and smooth, not course feeling.

      Even though I have been using Injini's products for some time now, looking at the construction of these socks still amazes me. The socks are made with a single-ply weave. The individual toes are seamless, coming right from the body of the sock. And the body has no seams even where it forms the heel pocket, what Injinji calls the Vector Heel. Even where the top turns inside and down to form a 1 in (2.5 cm) dual-layered welt band (to help keep them up) it has only been attached to the inside of the sock. There is nothing on the sock to put any pressure on my feet. About the only thing that looks like a seam is at the very end of the toes. Here is a shot of them.

      A red sewn-on label sits on the outer side of each sock. I say the outside because if it is positioned to the inside of my ankle I will have a heck of a time getting them on. This is because the socks have to be made Right and Left to make the anatomically correct toes work.

      The mini-crews come about 2 in (5 cm) up on my ankle.

      The package (which opens up and contains a wealth of information) recommends machine washing them with warm water and line drying.

      Well that's about all I can think to say about the mini-crews. Time to get them in the field and see what they can do. Please come back in two months to see the results. My thanks to Injinji and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to play This Little Piggy while backpacking.