IR -Injinji Performance Mini-Crew Socks - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      Curt,
      Here is my IR for the Injinji Socks. Thanks in advance for the edits. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/88b5hg9

      Injinji
      Performance Mini-Crew Socks
      Test Series by: Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents:

      Initial Report - April 1, 2012

      Initial Report:
      April 1, 2012

      Tester Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 59
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 152 lb (69 kg)
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
      Email: woodswoman 2001 AT yahoo DOT com

      For the last 20 years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker and an off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan and Canada. My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than 50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.
      Product Information

      Manufacturer
          Injinji
      Website     http://injinji.com
      Model     Performance Series Mini-Crew
      Color
          Black
      Material
          CoolMax (70%), Nylon (25%), and Lycra (5 %)
      Size
          Medium (Unisex) 8-10.5 Men, 9-11.5 Women (Approx. 40-44 EU for Men and Women), also available in S-XL
      Manufacturer  Weight      NA
      Tested Weight      1.4 oz (40 g) per pair
      Model Year     2012
      MSRP     $12.00 US

      Initial Impressions and Product Description

      The Injinji Performance Series Original Weight Socks arrived in the Mini-Crew Length and in the size of Medium as requested. I ordinarily wear a 10.5 US (42.5 EU) Women's Shoe so the size fits smack in the middle of the range. According to the website the socks are available in the colors of White, Black, Sand, Gray and Pink. I was sent a pair in the color of Black. The socks are in mostly good condition but there are a few loose threads in the interiors of both of the socks (these threads are at the base of several toe compartments).

      Injinji manufacturers several series of socks including several weights in each category. Some of the socks differ in fiber content. The socks I received are of the original weight variety. I would consider them to be heavier than many light weight socks I own but less weighty and bulky than most hiking socks. The Original Weight Socks come in three length options as well. The Mini-Crew length that I received measures about  4 in (10 cm) from the bottom of the heel. Other options are Micro and Crew Lengths (the first being shorter and the latter being taller than the Mini-Crew).

      Design and Technical Features

      What truly set the Injinji Socks apart from most other socks is that the toes are separated. This means that they are much like a glove would be to my hand. Each toe can be inserted into a separate compartment. The manufacturer's patent for the Injinji Socks is called AIS:Technology. The main features of this technology are the Anatomical 5 Toe Design, Arch Support, Vector Heel and Dual Welt Band. The 5 Toe Design is seamless so there really aren't any issues with alignment in the toe box area. There is a shaped heel on each sock.

      According to the manufacturer the socks offer superior moisture management as they are partially made with CoolMax. This is an enhanced polyester fiber that reportedly has great wicking capabilities. One of the fibers used in the fabric is nylon which offers shape retention.

      The socks are black colored but have a red tag stitched to each sock on the outside of each ankle. Since the band of the sock features a Dual Welt Band (meaning it is folded over) there is no skin contact with the stitching.

      I gently pulled on each sock with the red logo to the outside of each ankle. I made sure each toe went to the end of each toe compartment. I did this by placing one of my fingers between each toe to push the sock down. They conformed to each toe quite readily as the Lycra in the fabric has stretchability. I haven't worn toe socks since the 1970's (when they were in style for non-athletic purposes) so they felt kind of funny at first. I quickly got used to them though as they are very lightweight and there were no areas of discomfort. The manufacturer suggests to "be patient with your first wear and allow your feet to adjust". I noted that the Dual Welt Bands are very comfortable around my ankles fitting on the loose side.

      Care instructions are on the cardboard wrapper that contained the socks. The instructions are quite simple, machine wash in warm water and line dry. Do not bleach, do not iron and do not dry clean.

      Pros

          * Easy to put on
          * Fabric has soft feel
          * Dual Welt Band is very comfortable

      Cons

          * None so far

      Tester Remarks

      Thanks to Injinji and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Performance Mini-Crew Socks. This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be appended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for more information.

        Top of Page