Application-Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife-Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609.  I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. I have signed and submitted the Tester
      Agreement.

      Name:      Mike Pearl
      Email:      mikepearl36(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Age:         38
      Location:  Woodstock, Vermont, USA
      Gender:    Male
      Height:     5'9" (175 cm)
      Weight:    155 lb (70.3 kg)

      My backpacking experience began eight years ago, after years of car camping. Most trips are for two or three days, some lasting a week. I hike with a group of two to four, with plans for a multi-day solo
      hike this summer. I pack a tent or tarp depending on availability of trail shelters. My average mileage is 12 mi (19 km). While aware of weight, it is not my primary concern. I strive for enjoyable outings with functional, reliable gear. I usually travel in woodland mountain terrain. I am a three season camper, but enjoy hiking all year.
      Plan:  I currently use a folding knife and Bic type lighter.  I have been thinking of experimenting with starting fire by alternative means.  Which leads me to thoughts of a sturdier knife.  This would be a two'fer and a multi-purpose item to boot!
      If selected I will test how the FireKnife meets my standard in camp cutting needs, food prep, cordage, field dressing.  I would like to see how the grip, blade and balance of the knife perform under varying field conditions.  Now for the exciting part!  I will test how well the fire starter lights variable types of fires, wood tinder (cut with the FireKnife), lint and alcohol stove.  I will pay close attention to how the FireKnife works as a whole.  In am interested how the three separate pieces fit and stay together, in use and not.
      I will put the FireKnife to the test during
      my backpacking adventures.  Thus far during the next four months I have three separate two night trips planned in the Green Mountains of Vermont, USA.  And a week long trip on the Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon, USA.
      Currently Testing: Ribz Front Pack (FR-due 5/15)                                       ExOfficio Trail Roam'r Pant (FR-awaiting date)Link to Test Status Page:  http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1884.htm
      OR's completed in the last year:  One  Link to Review Page: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mike%20pearl
      Outstanding Applications: None
      Additional BGT Roles:  None
      Thank you for consideration,Mike