Application - Solo Stove - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 2:14 AM
      Please accept my application to test the Solo Stove.
      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Michael Mosack
      Age: 48
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
      Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
      Email Address: mosack(at)earthlinkDOTnet
      San Diego, California, USA and Afghanistan

      Date: Apr 1, 2012

      My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and weeklong or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping the western United States and Canada, to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and love trying new items. Quality and reliability of equipment carried is paramount to me over price and weight.

      Testing plan: I have not been able to test other types of stoves due to fuel availability here in Afghanistan so the wood burning stove is something I am excited to try. I am familiar with the stove having considered buying one myself in the past. My plan would be to see if this stove will stand up to the company claims and my ability to find and test its capabilities and am curious as to how it will perform.

      I would like to test the following…
      1. Is the stove's quality of construction similar to the manufacturer's claims?
      2. Is it stable when sitting on the ground and supporting a pot or pan of food/water?
      3. Are the individual pieces securely attached and is this easy and quick to set up in the field? In the dark?
      4. How easy is this to light? Can I control the flame? Does the wind effect this stove's performance?
      5. How well does it handle moisture or corrosion and does it resist being crushed in a pack?
      6. I will test this knife in various situations by checking quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer's claims to product capabilities, in as much as I am able.

      I will have standard backpacking and hiking trips from base camp, where appropriate. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Solo Stove during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. This stove will do well for my extended field time here. Over the past 4 years, I average over 150 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned in May to the Laguna Mountains in Southern California and Sierra Nevadas and Yosemite.
      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

      Current Test in progress:
      None – just submitted my LTR for the Oboz Beartooth Boots for editing.

      Current tests awaiting receipt of product:
      None

      Current applications submitted and awaiting selections:
      Princeton Tec Spectrum headlamp
      Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm
      Link to my reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack
      I have completed 0 owner reviews within the past year.

      Labors of love – I am a test editor / monitor.

      Thank you for your time and consideration
      Mike Mosack