TEST CALL- CUTTING EDGE + FIRE

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2012
      This is better than rubbing two sticks together. You get a sharp edge as
      well.
      What is it?
      Sounds of trumpets blaring to announce..It is the Swedish FireKnife.
      Industrial Revolution has offered three lucky testers the opportunity to put
      this knife through its paces AND start fires with it.
      See: INFO: http://www.industrialrev.com/swedish-fireknife.html
      US SHIPPING INCLUDED,
      NEWBIE LIMIT DOES NOT APPLY

      What I want to see in your application:
      1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      2. Your bio
      3. A brief test plan, including your plans to meet the minimum use
      requirements, including overnight backpacks.
      4. A list of what you are currently testing AND a link to your test status
      page
      5. The number of Owner Reviews you have completed in the last year
      6. A list of any outstanding applications
      7. Any additional BGT roles you play
      2. The subject line should include Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife.
      3. C.C a copy of your application to me at rdassetts@... so that
      I do not miss it.
      4. Applications will close Tuesday 10th April.
      I am the Moderator for this test.
      Ralph
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
        Please accept my application to test the Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Age: 48
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
        Email Address: mosack(at)earthlinkDOTnet
        San Diego, California, USA and Afghanistan

        Date: Apr 1, 2012

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping the western United States and Canada, to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and love trying new items. Quality and reliability of equipment carried is paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: I rely on my knife more than any other tool. I use it for almost any task I might need to complete. I am familiar with other Light My Fire products and know first hand that they generally put out a quality product. My plan would be to see if their new knife will stand up to the company claims and my ability to find and test its capabilities.

        I would like to test the following…
        1. Is the knife balanced in my hand; is the handle securely attached; is the handle design and material good for grip and fit in my large hands? When wet too?
        2. Does the blade hold its edge, how well does it sharpen in the field and how well does it handle moisture and corrosion?
        3. Is the blade design effective for common field chores to include cutting rope, wood for tinder, sharpening wood for stakes and such, field dressing and skinning game, and how stiff or flexible is the blade?
        4. How well is the Swedish FireSteel firestarter going to work in different conditions? Is it secure inside the knife handle or easily lost when hiking?
        5. The included Polypropylene sheath for style and fit of the knife, ease of use, security of knife when sheathed and the belt clip for security, appropriate size to accommodate common belt sizes, and other attachment point considerations and is it ambidextrous?
        6. I will test this knife in various situations by checking quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer's claims to product capabilities, in as much as I am able.

        I will have standard backpacking and hiking trips from base camp, where appropriate. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Industrial Revolution-Swedish FireKnife during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. This knife, being a fixed blade, will do well for my extended field time here. Over the past 4 years, I average over 150 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned in May to the Laguna Mountains in Southern California and Sierra Nevadas and Yosemite.

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Current Test in progress:
        None – just submitted my LTR for the Oboz Beartooth Boots for editing.

        Current tests awaiting receipt of product:
        None

        Current applications submitted and awaiting selections:
        Princeton Tec Spectrum

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm
        Link to my reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack

        I have completed 4 owner reviews.

        Labors of love – I am a test editor / monitor.

        Thank you for your time and consideration
        Mike Mosack