LTR Benchmade 530 David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2012
      Below is the text for my LTR. This has been a great product to test. Thanks in advance for catching any mistakes I have made. You can find the HTML in the test folder here; http://tinyurl.com/7nfm5us

      Dave W

      Usage:
      • Snow shoe day trip (groomed trails)
      • Cross country Ski day trips X 3
      • 2 night solo snowshoe trip

      Since receiving this knife I have continued to carry it almost every day. It has become a basic item I put in my pockets along with my wallet and keys. I carried it clipped to my pack strap for our annual White Pass Ski/Snowshoe jamboree, where we (The Cascadians) offer free ski and snowshoe instructions to beginners. I also wore it clipped to my pocket for 3 days of training with the White Pass Nordic Ski Patrol. And finally for a 3 day snow camping trip I attached the knife to the lanyard of my flint/steel fire starter.

      The easy one handed open/close of this knife makes it very handy for everyday cutting tasks at home, work, and on the trail. Its small size and light weight allow me to carry it all the time without thought. When assembling my gear for my snow camping trip I realized the size and weight of the knife lends itself quite nicely to being attached to my fire starter flint/steel. I simply threaded the lanyard through the hole in the knives handle, and carried the assembly in my ski pants cargo pocket. It worked nicely. For future trips I am considering using longer lanyard so I can carry it around my neck.

      I previously mentioned that the pocket clip had become a bit looser than when it arrived. After continued use and constant clipping/unclipping from my pocket and pack it does not seem to have gotten any looser. However a bit of the paint has rubbed off. In fact aside for the paint rubbed off of the edges of the belt clip, the knife is showing almost no signs of wear. The blade and handle look good as new. The action of the blade has remained consistent, just slightly looser than when I received it making it easy to open/close with a flick of my wrist, but not so loose as to be a problem or indicate any signs of wear. And when open the blade has no play or wiggle at all despite countless opening and closing over the past few months.

      Even though I have used this knife a lot on various materials, I have not found it necessary to sharpen the blade. However, being that it had lost some of its edge and to round out the test, I decided to see how well it takes an edge. Using my diamond sharpening system, I spent a few minutes working with the coarse and then fine stones. I had a little difficulty getting the blade securely in the clamp. The tapered back and very smooth finish resulted in the blade slipping out of the clamp the first time I tried. I needed to position the clamp such that the notch in the clamp was positioned over the spine of the blade, the widest part, so that it was contacting both sides of the spine and therefore could not slip out. Getting an edge on the blade was more of a chore then I had anticipated, but I expect this is more due to my being out of practice than anything. After just a bit of work I again had a fine sharp edge.

      As mentioned previously I continue to find the symmetrical shape of the blade to be a small problem [yes I am nitpicking, but I can find nothing else about this knife to complain about]. Recently while attempting to cut away the plastic from a temporary greenhouse I built, I found myself attempting to cut the material with the back of the blade, and it was only by sheer luck that I had not attempted to push on the `back' of the blade with my thumb. I am actually surprised I have not cut myself yet as this has happened a few times. That said, the knife is still very easy to maneuver and control and I continue to be amazed that the blade is much stronger than its delicate appearance would suggest.

      In conclusion, as much as I would like to say that such a wimpy looking blade is not up to the task of trail use, I simply cannot. Despite already having high expectations of Benchmade products, this knife still far exceeded my expectations and has quickly become my favorite cutting tool at home, at work, and on the trail. I fully expect to continue to carry it daily and on most of my off road travels.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2012
        Greetings David,

        I do love your description of the knife as a "wimpy looking blade" but it
        does not live up to that expectation.

        I could find no edits.

        Make sure that you delete the test copy version and upload.

        Thanks for your insightful views on this knife.

        Cheers

        Ralph

      • amatbrewer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2012
          Ralph,

          Thanks for a great test series! I was debating over including the "wimpy" comment, fearing it would not come across the way I intended. Glad it worked.

          LTR uploaded to its home, and the one in the test folder deleted.

          Thanks again,
          Dave