LTR - Kigo Drive Shoes - Ben Mansfield

  • Ben Mansfield
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
      My LTR is posted in the test folder, here:

      http://tinyurl.com/7s5e8jh

      And the text is below.

      Thanks in advance for the edits.

      -Ben

      --------------------------------

      Long Term Report

      Long Term Observations

      I took two more backpacking trips since my Field Report, for a total
      of 11 days of use. These two trips included one to the Zaleski State
      Forest in Southern Ohio (one of my favorite weekend hiking loops in my
      home state) and one to the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania
      (my favorite "local" hiking grounds.

      Winter hasn't really materialized in my part of the world - we had a
      very dry and relatively warm winter, so the Kigo Drive shoes turned
      out to be useful for me as camp shoes even through the winter months
      as the temperatures were unseasonably warm. I did normally wear some
      wool socks under the Drive shoes for a little extra warmth - that
      coupled with a campfire (campfires are permitted pretty much
      everywhere I hike, and most places have semi-established campsites
      where small rock fire rings have been created by past hikers) each
      night kept my feet plenty warm.

      I have continued to use the Kigo Drive shoes exclusively as camp
      shoes, and haven't backpacked with them as I'm simply not ready or
      comfortable hiking with a pack in minimal shoes. They have continued
      to serve this purpose very well, as they are relatively light and easy
      to pack in, and are a welcome change from my hiking boots in the
      evenings. I like to start my days early and hike fast, but I also
      normally try to break for the day relatively early, so I do spend
      quite a bit of time wearing the Kigo Drive shoes each day in camp as I
      perform common chores such as getting water or firewood, setting up my
      shelter, and walking to the privy (er, trees...).

      I haven't noticed any issues with the Kigo Drive shoes in terms of
      durability, despite their minimal construction. They seem to be well
      made and are showing no loose stitching or delamination of the sole
      from the upper. I have gotten them quite dirty, and I used a wet scrub
      brush to remove most of the larger chunks followed by a trip through
      the washing machine to clean them back to a presentable state. This
      didn't get them back to completely like-new condition, but I didn't
      really expect it to. Kigo recommends not using laundry detergent or
      soap on the shoes, presumably due to the water and stain-resistant
      coating. I suspect a little soap would clean them up real nice but
      probably diminish some of the stain-resistance. For me and my use in
      the backcountry it's a non-issue if they're a little dirty...
      everything I take backpacking is always a little dirty, despite my
      best efforts.

      The fit has remained the same for me. I haven't noticed that the shoes
      have stretched out at all, but they are also somewhat loose on my
      foot, so I'm not really stressing them in a way that would cause them
      to stretch. I don't like to tighten the laces very much at all - I
      find that just enough to keep them on my foot is sufficient for my
      needs and more comfortable than fully tightening them.

      With socks, I also haven't had any blisters or noticed any hot spots
      while wearing the Drive shoes around camp. Without socks I do notice
      some rubbing as my foot is pretty free to move around inside of the
      shoe, but it hasn't amounted to any blisters.

      Summary

      Overall the Kigo Drive shoes are a nice option for a minimal or
      barefoot shoe. I like them for wearing around camp, but I don't think
      my feet and ankles are quite ready for a full blown hiking trip in
      them. I don't think the fingerprint soles offer much more or less
      traction than my own bare feet, the ability to feel the ground is
      slightly reduced from bare feet but way better than other shoes, and
      they help me avoid getting my otherwise bare feet cut or pricked by
      sharp and prickly things on the ground.

      Key Features
      Light weight and small volume to carry in to camp
      Good protection from sharp things on the ground

      Areas for Improvement
      Minimal traction
      Potential to get cold feet

      I would like to thank Kigo Footwear and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test the Drive shoes.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
        Hi Ben

        Since I'm jumping in here at the end I read your whole report to familiarize myself with this item and your usage. Pics and links looked good, just found a couple of things for you. My edits, comments or suggestions are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words. You are good to upload after they are addressed.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Stand-in Monitor – Kigo Drive Shoes

        Field conditions –

        ##Edit – In both your FR and the LTR you negated to include temperatures, elevations, etc. in your field condition descriptions. Please add those.

        You – (my favorite "local" hiking grounds.

        ## Edit – left off the closing ")"

        ##Question? – Did you have any problems with the sole material when you were near the fire?
      • ben.mansfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 12:26 PM
          Thanks Jamie. I made the edits you suggested, and added a sentence to answer your question about having my feet in the fire. Posted, and deleted the draft.

          -Ben

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 8:35 PM
            Great Ben. Thanks. See ya on another one.

            Jamie D